all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Isochain and Q&D

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Forum member @Pantrolyx has direct experience using the isochain, he may have developed some training approaches directly suited for it.

Yes, in terms of experience I have bent a plate tremendously and torn apart a bolt in the handle whilst deadlifting, but the customer service from DragonDoor has been great on both occasions. :cool:

More to the point, I have not been impressively structured with my isometric training, but I can say that I have really found the function of setting a mandatory goal (in terms of kilos) before starting to count seconds a useful one. It has convinced that that my subjective experience of how hard I am actually pulling or pushing is highly inaccurate. For deadlifting, zerchers and front squats, I truly enjoy using the Isochain.

For pushing motions and one handed exercises, I prefer other devices, and have also invested in a (significantly cheaper) rope with two handles in that regard. This one is also very practical since I am travelling quite a lot in my work and training consistency is mandatory.

In terms of combinating isometrics and kettlebells, I try to be efficient with my morning excercise, and this is the simplified plan:
  • Start with alternating mobility drills and lower body isometrics
  • Follow up with alternating mobility drills and upper body isometrics
  • Follow up with kettlebell swings or snatches, sometimes alternating with mobility drills/kicking pratice between set
I really like to complete these workouts within 30 minutes, sometimes less.

Brief Review: Effects of Isometric Strength Training on Strength and Dynamic Performance

The article looked at dozens of methods of training aside from peak force but it probably takes some web searching to find the full article somewhere. Although I don't have the isochain book to compare with its 6 second rule on the web site, this article promoted hold times of 1-5 seconds for a lot of the max strength work and longer for hypertrophy.

Let's Break It Down

"IST has been shown to induce less fatigue and resulted in superior joint angle specific strength than dynamic strength training,,,"

1) Less Fatigue is induced with Isometrics

2) Less Energy is used with Isometrics

3) Isometric allows individuals to specifically target the weak part in a movement.

Research shows that an Isometric developes strength approximately 15 degree above and below the point it is trained.

"To increase muscle hypertrophy, IST should be performed at 70-75% of maximum voluntary contraction (MVC) with sustained contraction of 3-30 s per repetition, and total contraction duration of>80-150 s per session for>36 sessions."

Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding Training

When a muscle contracts, it restricts Venous Blood Flow back to the heart.

Thus, Bodybuilders who perform Moderate to High Repetition produce "The Pump", the muscle balloons up. That is because blood flows to the exercised muscle and becomes trapped.

Secondly, High Repetitions increase Lactate (not Lactic Acid).

The increase in Lactate produces a downstream anabolic, muscle building effect.

Each exercise set performed with a 60 second or less rest period between sets, magnifies "The Pump".

The combination of the muscle contraction restricting Venous Blood Flow and the muscle being flooded with Arterial Blood Flow (from the heart) elicits Muscle Hypertrophy.

Limitation of Isometric Hypertrophy

Isometrics essentially elicit the same effect as using a tourniquet to occlude Venous Blood Flow back to the heart; the trapped blood produces a small "Pump", ballooning of the muscle.

However, a greater effect is evoked when muscles are being exercised, blood is flooded to it and the muscles contracting are trapping that blood in the muscles.

Isometrically Enhancing The Hypertrophy Training Effect

1) Perform Traditional Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding Sets; pumping blood to the muscles.

2) Immediately follow the Traditional Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding Set with perform an Isometric that engages the same muscle worked.

Ironically, many Bodybuilders do that.

After performing the Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding Set, they Isometrically Flex the muscle they just trained.

The Isometric Contraction continues to restrict Venous Blood Flow back to the heart, magnifying "The Pump".

Longer Blood Flow Restriction Time

The longer the tourniquet is on (to a degree), the greater the ballooning of the muscles, "The Pump".

With this in mind, an Isometric Repetition to elicit that blood flow restriction will be more effective is when each rRepetition is around 60 second or more

To increase maximum strength, IST should be performed at 80-100% MVC with sustained contraction of 1-5 s, ...

Strength Repetition Contraction Time

The 1-5 second contraction time of each Repetition falls in line with Traditional Maximum Strength Training, as well as Power and Speed Training.

Maximum Strength, Power and Speed utilize the Phosphagen Energy System; Adenosine Triphosphate, ATP.

Most ATP is depleted in around 10 seconds with Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

That means the "Super Fast" Type IIb/x and Fast Type IIa are no longer firing or being trained nor developed; which is the objective for developing these Strengths.

One solution is to perform...

Cluster Isometric Sets

Research shows that taking short rest periods between Repetition in an Exercise Set allow ATP Muscle Restoration; which allow the Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber continue to be trained and produce Force in these Strengths.

Pulse Training

Cluster Set also elicits a Pulse Training Effect; Contraction-Relaxation-Contraction of the muscle in a pulse manner.

Research by Dr Stu McGill found that Pulsing The Muscles in this manner allowed greater Force Production to be produced.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom