all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Isometric vs Dynamic Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

movestrength

Level 4 Valued Member
I recently came across an article on the isometrics method and since I was recovering from the flu with freezing cold weather outside,
I tried it with the push up board and I really enjoyed the style of training.
I was also practicing it on the rings last summer when I was doing skill work training.

I choose three exercises per body part and focused on a slow eccentric followed by a 15 to 20 second hold at the bottom of each exercise.

I have also purchased the Isometrics training manual by Paul "Coach" Wade where he discusses the science of isometric training and how it can develop strength. He states that isometric training can be more effective at building strength due to the contractile tension and the time under tension rather than the fluctuations of tension that we do with dynamic training or hypertrophy sets.

What are your thoughts of both styles of training? Do you combine them both or only focus on one modality of training?

Hello,

As there is no motion, this is true you can generate more tension. However, to make isometrics really effective, one has to do them at several points of the ROM (before for bottom, middle, before the top). That way the strength transfer will cover all the ROM.

It increases mind muscle connection. Usually, one has to contract as hard as one can during 6-7s

It would not replace the actual move, meaning practicing the skill. However it can work on the weaknesses have on special portion of the ROM.

Depending on the moves you are working on, here is the Prilepin table for isometrics:

Mixing iso and dynamic moves could be the way to reap the benefits of both worlds assuming recovery is good. The actual move will strengthen tendons and ligaments.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I believe the benefit of isometrics only applies within 15* above and below and an isometric has to be performed putting max effort into it rather than just holding a position. For example, a pushup isometric would have to be done with something immovable against the back and then pushing as hard as possible against that object.

Training the muscle at longer lengths and for longer holds has been shown to improve strength through more of the ROM. So slightly stretch the muscle.

In my experience it is better for learning to use strength than for creating it, though you will certainly increase strength by training isometrics. It is probably the safest way to train high tension and also provides some of the best improvements in tendon health. Is also possible to customize contraction qualities - rapid application of Maximum Voluntary Contraction or slower ramp up to MVC, and to train angles and postures that are difficult to load with external resistance.

I'm not the biggest fan of some isometric approaches though, as they seem to do little more than stand in as facsimile for training to failure, although they def increase contraction time for a given lift/movement. I believe the biggest value lies in using overcoming isometrics with a max voluntary contraction - everything you got for 3-10 seconds.

I believe isometrics can be applied in a variety of ways and all can be useful for strength.

When I did planche holds, l-sits, front levers for two months, my strength on the barbell lifts improved dramatically without touching one during this time. I also included full ROM movements during this time like OAP, pistols and HSPU so that’s important but these isometrics were also Supramaximal, a technique where you hold more in the lockout position then you could do in a full rep. John Grimek used to do these to increase tendon strength, locking something absurd like 1000 lbs overhead by setting the bar on the highest possible rack setting in a squat rack then overhead squatting it like 1 inch and holding it there. These high tension style lifts can do many things I.e. tendon strength, irridYion, golgi tendon override, confidence with heavier weights. Some examples include doing a OAP plank before being able to OAP, locking out a deadlift that’s heavier than our full ROM or doing Keytlebell waiter walks with a KBELL you can’t quite press. Pavel lists many in the “Tension Day” article.

Overcoming isometrics are also useful, where you push against an immovable object or resistance. Steve Justa has done these, pressing in a doorway from all angles. You could use pins in a rack to target certain sticking points in a lift and Dan John swears this method lead him to never missing a clean again in Oly lifting by using the squat rack at his exact sticking point and front squatting the bar against the side safeties.

Yielding isometrics is where you prevent the lowering of something, like holding the bottom of a OAP by tending hard to entrain their bottom position.

Idometrics can be a strong drug. Use wisely.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom