all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Isometrics before, during or after a rep or set

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GreenSoup

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi! I have used isometrics as described in the Naked Warrior pistol section to make my pre-OAP progressions tougher as an intermediary step to make my floor OAP form look better.

As I think ahead for new plans that might use combine reps and isometrics, are there different benefits to putting a sticking point isometric hold either before, during or after a rep or set? Does one bias to max strength while another helps strength endurance? Thank you.

Could you please reference a specific page or pages in NW? Thanks.

-S-

I checked back to the book and the description starts on page 140 but for Squats. I did it on the OAPu instead. I just used the pre-set holds at the lowest point one inch above the floor. Thanks!

GreenSoup, I've been away for a few days - will look up the references and reply further, likely tomorrow. Thanks.

-S-

Hi Steve, I appreciate your willingness to help and all that you do for this forum. Since you didn't post the isometric info yet and the forum will be changed over to a new format, should I repost this into the new forum for when there is an update?

I am grateful that you are willing to look up this information and please do not construe my post as an attempt to rush you. I just wanted to make sure further replies in the thread would be possible. Thanks.

Ah, thank you for the reminder. I will try to have a look at this later today and post a reply then.

Everything here will move to the new forum, no worries about that. The only things that won't will be things posted after noon EDT tomorrow. If we can, we'll completely take down the old forum so that there is no confusion about posts getting lost, or we will make it read-only so that people can continue to read but cannot login and post.

-S-

GreenSoup -
I highly recommend putting in Isometric holds at your sticking points. We discuss this in detail during our SFB courses and certification. This would be owning your sticking point and making it stronger. You can do them between sets or you can do your holds on one of your training days to change/wave the load. For the OAPU and OAPL PU, it is great to stop at different spots while descending, this is a great way to do a tension or form check. We also discuss "linkage not leakage" in terms of tension for the OAPU as it is a skill in maximal full body tension. Best of luck in your practice, you will be amazed at the strength gains and carry over to other skills.
-Karen

Thank you, Karen! I have been so busy with the new forum rollout that I still haven't gotten to this. Much obliged.

-S-

Thank you for the tips Karen. Are there any isometric focused programs/cycles that StrongFirst recommends in the way gymnastics coaches have used Steady State Cycles for isometrics?

GreenSoup - I would have to check with Pavel to see if he has any isometric focused programs. I normally just add them into one of my training days to wave the load. For example, I will do OAPU x2 days a week at different elevations, then I will do one day on holds to work through a sticking point.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom