all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Isometrics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Robert Noftz

Level 5 Valued Member
If there are any discussions about isometrics I have not noticed them.
Since I have been doing kettlebell exercises and body weight exercises at home I don't get a heavy pulling motion like a deadlift. I have considered adding an isometric dead lift by standing on the middle of a towel and pulling up on the ends. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue? I figured since I did explosive swings I got the explosive strength element taken care of. I won't have a slow grind on the hip hinge, but perhaps the isometric deadlift can help make up for that.

I was just wondering the same thing today. There is a little outdoor exercise set withing walking distance of my office and I often go there and do pull-ups and push-ups. There are also some bars at about deadlift height, and today I practiced "deadlifting" them, just an isometric pull for 5 seconds or so (they don't move). To me it felt like it would help build strength in the deadlift, but I don't know for sure.

I was just wondering the same thing today. There is a little outdoor exercise set withing walking distance of my office and I often go there and do pull-ups and push-ups. There are also some bars at about deadlift height, and today I practiced "deadlifting" them, just an isometric pull for 5 seconds or so (they don't move). To me it felt like it would help build strength in the deadlift, but I don't know for sure.
When of the questions I had was about the duration. If it is effective for building strength then how long should I hold the contraction? I will see if I can find some research about it.

I seem to recall that Steve Justa discussed isometrics in his book Rock, Iron, & Steel. I can't give direct quote as I lent my copy to a nephew, but he was quite impressed with the results of isometrics. But that may be a place to look.

There may be some people with experience in the matter who can contribute. Pavel of course mentioned Justa's experience in his book. It does seem like it would be best to back up personal experience with some research when possible.

I've also done isometric pull-ups before, where you hook your feet under some immovable object or a piece of webbing.

Interesting thought so far. I haven't ever really trained with isometrics and it would be nice to hear some experience from someone who has.

If we go by the deadlift example, which point of the deadlift do you train isometrically? To one as inexperienced in isometrics as me it seems that isometrics can only develop single points along the movement, but not the movement itself. Now one can, of course, alter the point of resistance. How many of these points does one need for the isometrics to have a carryover to the lift itself? And how would this isometric training compare to training the lift itself?

Also, if we consider the isometric exercise as training, for example maximum strength, how does one increase the training stimulus? With weights it's easy, one adds weight. In my experience, simply adding time to the lift is only useful as occasional accessory work but it can't be the main point for the most effective development.

If we go by the deadlift example, which point of the deadlift do you train isometrically? To one as inexperienced in isometrics as me it seems that isometrics can only develop single points along the movement, but not the movement itself. Now one can, of course, alter the point of resistance. How many of these points does one need for the isometrics to have a carryover to the lift itself? And how would this isometric training compare to training the lift itself?

Also, if we consider the isometric exercise as training, for example maximum strength, how does one increase the training stimulus? With weights it's easy, one adds weight. In my experience, simply adding time to the lift is only useful as occasional accessory work but it can't be the main point for the most effective development.

Good questions. With the bars I found, I was using starting bar height and then one about 8 inches taller. But how hard to pull? No way to measure. It felt like a good way to practice building tension and wedging, though.

This article from breaking muscle attempts to answer some of the questions that have been brought up. I wish there was more information out there on isometrics because it seems like it would be a perfect companion to S&S and something I've been thinking a lot about lately. I know a lot of the old time strongmen like Alexander Zass incorporated it into their training. Thanks for starting this thread.....hope it gets the ball rolling.

Isometric Training: What It Is and How to Do It Correctly

I used to do a lot of yielding Iso - running the dog I'd grab the leash, choke up on it and pull opposing sides like a short ROM row to get a "pull". Then flip it, run across my back and do the same thing for pecs and "push".

In this case I was able to just do for sets and reps, and got pretty good results.

I also did pure Iso for martial arts application - stand to a wall or doorframe and chamber a punch- push for a few seconds, repeat at intervals. Do the same for kicks. I was only training the initial chamber position. I got faster. They work great for speed and explosive initiation, not so good for a grind.

My limited experience using them for resistance training is that it works better as an adjunct to regular training - in this case your swings will improve. As a stand-alone means of working a grind I personally would not think you'll see a lot of bang for the buck. You have to do a number of positions in the ROM separately.

@Robert Noftz, isometrics really can't take the place of the thing, but they can be a useful adjunct to the thing. If you get access to a bar sometime, you'll enjoy a deadlift cycle, but in the meantime, I don't think you have to be concerned to duplicate that movement pattern. With your kettlebells, you could do one-legged deadlifts and, while those aren't the thing itself, either, they're a good and useful exercise that you can load up by using two bells, should you decide you want a bigger load that way.

-S-

If there are any discussions about isometrics I have not noticed them.
Since I have been doing kettlebell exercises and body weight exercises at home I don't get a heavy pulling motion like a deadlift. I have considered adding an isometric dead lift by standing on the middle of a towel and pulling up on the ends. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue? I figured since I did explosive swings I got the explosive strength element taken care of. I won't have a slow grind on the hip hinge, but perhaps the isometric deadlift can help make up for that.

Isometric Training

It is a very training tool to increase strength.

Time

As Anna C noted in her post, around 5 second is optiamal for increasing strength; "...an isometric pull for 5 seconds"...

Three Isometric Contraction Points

Strength is increased roughly 15 degrees from below and above where the Isometric Action is performed.

Thus, the Traditional Recommendation it to perform an Isometric Action from a Low, Medium and Top Position to ensure Strength is developed more completely.

As per Anna C's post, she employs different pulling positions; using one rack "bar height and then one about 8 inches."

Functional Isometrics

This involve the use of a Power Rack, if you have access to one.

A loaded bar sitting on a bottom pin in the Power Rack.

A top pin positioned a few inches above it.

You then push/pull the loaded into the top pin, pushing against the pin for 5 seconds then repeat for a few repetitions.

You progressively increase that bar load for each set.

Strength Training Percentage Training Vs Isometric Actions

"Limit Strength" (1 Repetition Max) varies from one day to the next. Thus, calculating your Strength Training Percentage for any day is going to be slightly off.

Isometric Actions allow you to optimize your Strength Training for each training day. An all out max Isometric Action eliciting all of the muscle fiber.

Also, Isometric Training ensures faster recovery.

Pulling Up On A Towl

Yes, that works.

Kenny Croxdale

Was just gonna add that about 50% of my training is isometrics, and it has been for many years already. I feel very confident that for me personally, isometrics between 8-20 seconds is about right for me to develop strength. I have a few reasons to think that but they're somewhat obvious:
-8-20 seconds is about the time it takes to fully use up your "alactic tank". Anything longer and it is simply not maximum tension.
-8-20 seconds correlates roughly to the time it takes to do 2-6 heavy reps (which is an excellent range to build max strength). In calisthenics programming, an isometric of 2-3 seconds is usually worth about 1 rep.

And just general experience. When my holds break the 20 second mark, they don't seem to carry-over to my max any more, while when they're below 5 secs, I can't accumulate enough volume for good progress. Obviously this might be the case for someone who has trained them for a while; for someone just starting isometrics, even a 60 second plank is going to build strength.

I would consider what Anna does with a bar, but I don't think I'd do it with a towel. The grip is too difficult. I don't think you'll be able to elicit much tension in your muscles without your grip giving up well before. Unless your goal was to in fact work the grip, in which a towel is pretty good haha.

Just my 2 cents.

We teach isometrics at the BW cert and I have personally found them helpful for increasing grip strength, core strength and lats strength in particular. Holds times and amount of pressure can also be waved ... just as you wave the load with other elements.

I think it would be a great test to follow your idea with the towel and track your progress. I would look forward to hearing how you progress.

We teach isometrics at the BW cert and I have personally found them helpful for increasing grip strength, core strength and lats strength in particular. Holds times and amount of pressure can also be waved ... just as you wave the load with other elements.

I think it would be a great test to follow your idea with the towel and track your progress. I would look forward to hearing how you progress.
In regards to tracking progress, that is probably one of the limits if isometrics. With a barbell I could notice improvement. Since I don't know how much I can deadlift now, it would be difficult to see if there were any improvement. It would be interesting to test myself on a dead lift and then again after a few months practicing the isometric deadlift.

In regards to tracking progress, that is probably one of the limits if isometrics. With a barbell I could notice improvement. Since I don't know how much I can deadlift now, it would be difficult to see if there were any improvement. It would be interesting to test myself on a dead lift and then again after a few months practicing the isometric deadlift.

yes I do understand that without knowing your baseline in a barbell deadlift now it would be hard to track... However You can track reps and sets and then revisit other skills that you currently work and see if they have advanced from adding the isometrics into your training practice. Example.... did it make your grip stronger for other skills, did it make your pullup numbers increase etc.

The three most powerful neural generators in our bodies are glues, abs and grip... so it these become strong then other skills will be stronger.

Hope that helps as for as having a baseline in several skills and then tracking and revisiting those baselines and see if you have increased to new PR's

Hello,

In this serie of article, regarding to slow motion, 30s seems to be the minimum. However, this is not really isometrics
How to Build Your Slow Fibers, Part I
How to Build Your Slow Fibers, Part II
How to Build Your Slow Fibers Part III

Regarding isometrics, I tend to think that reaching 20 / 30s per set is ideal, for the same reasons that @305pelusa mentioned. Then, reaching 5 - 6 sets with 20 - 30s gives a TUT that ensures both strength and hypertrophy. It also permits to stay really focused, which is good for mind-muscle control.

I mainly use this range for L-Sit and a 45° middle ROM hold dragon flag.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Regarding isometrics, I tend to think that reaching 20 / 30s per set is ideal, for the same reasons that @305pelusa mentioned. Then, reaching 5 - 6 sets with 20 - 30s gives a TUT that ensures both strength and hypertrophy. It also permits to stay really focused, which is good for mind-muscle control.

Time Under Tension

The amount of Time Under Tension is traditional broken down into the following.

1) Strength: 5 to 20 Seconds.

This is due to the fact that Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber utilize the Phosphagen Energy System, ATP.

ATP is depleted in approximately 15 seconds. That is the reason during a Limit Strength (1 Repetition Max), Power or Speed Movement, your force production: Strength), Power and Speed drop like a rock after 15 seconds.

After 15 seconds of an all out effort, Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber exhausted and not working/being trained. The Slow Type I Muscle "Endurance" Fiber are primarily doing the work.

2) Hypertrophy: 20 to 40 Seconds.

This time frame produces a build up of Lactate in the muscles.

The downside of Lactate build up is a dramatic drop in Strength, Power and Speed.

The Upside is that a build up of Lactate in the muscle triggers an anabolic hormonal cascade, increasing muscle mass.

3) Endurance: 40 to 60 Seconds produces an increase in "Strength Endurance".

"...20 - 30s gives a TUT that ensures both strength and hypertrophy.

This amount of Time Under Tension fall more into Hypertrophy Training. While Limit Strength is increased within this time frame, it is limited.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom