all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed It never gets easy

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WhatWouldHulkDo

Level 8 Valued Member
Some musing I had during my long run this weekend.

Brother @offwidth made a comment recently in a thread about running:

it never really gets 'easier'.... you just get faster...

I think that's spot on, and I think it applies to training in general, not just running. I think too many people have this idea that "if I can just get to X (Simple, 2X BW deadlift, whatever), that will be enough, then maintaining my strength & health will be easy." That's not how adaptation works - the body doesn't adapt to make things easy, it adapts to be efficient. It will seek the point of equilibrium where it can meet the demands imposed on it with minimal maintenance cost. Things feel "easy" when the demands are far below the capability of the system, but unfortunately the body isn't going to maintain that extra capability if it isn't challenged to do so; maintaining extra capability costs extra energy. @Anna C made a great point on another thread that, if you aren't challenging yourself in some form (weight, volume, or density), eventually you regress. So, yes, reaching Simple might make most of normal life feel easy, but you will still have to be challenged in order to maintain that capacity.

This is why I've never liked the idea of "owning" a kettlebell before moving up in S&S weight, though I haven't been able to quantify why before now. I think people have the wrong idea of what "owning" means. In my mind, it doesn't mean that the training is easy. It means that you can execute a session explosively and with perfect form on any given day - even when it's challenging. And some days, it will be challenging, even though you've done it several times in the past. I would postulate that each and every one of us - from the beasts like @Harald Motz to the people just starting off - have days where something that was easy yesterday just isn't easy today.

I'm not saying that we all need to push ourselves to the levels of competitive powerlifters or SOF operators. And when the body says that it needs a break, we all have to respect that. But, don't ever expect that things will be easy, even once you are strong - I don't even think that "easy" should be the goal, because it's just a path to being disappointed. Teddy Roosevelt talked about living a "strenuous life" - that should be the goal. To continually be challenging yourself, maintain (or increase) your capability above what a life of "ignoble ease" would demand.

Celebrate the fact that training is not easy.

Well said Hulk. I too have never liked the concept of 'owning' a weight or KB. In fact I would go so far as to call it presumptuous at best and maybe even conceited. Practitioners of many martial arts (such as Karate which you study, and sword arts and tai-chi which I have a passing knowledge of) never really feel that they 'own ' a kata, waza, or form.

There is always something more that it can teach us. Like an onion with an infinite number of layers.

I still get humbled at times doing a shoe TGU...

Practitioners of many martial arts (such as Karate which you study, and sword arts and tai-chi which I have a passing knowledge of) never really feel that they 'own ' a kata, waza, or form.

That's a great analogy - if we were all required to completely master a kata before learning the next... we'd all still be doing the first one! But, when we return to an early kata later in our training, the goal is not just do it the same as we did when we first learned it - instead, we find new intricacies, new applications - new challenges.

The same can be applied to lifting and other training modalities, I'm sure.

The Goldilocks Zone is the training area that is not too easy, not too hard, but just right. Some training programs lean so much in the direction of Papa Bear that I would injure myself constantly. Some training programs lean so much in the direction of Mama Bear that I may as well not even bother. @WhatWouldHulkDo has spent good effort determining what is the right Goldilocks Zone to make it worth his while, and it's worth it for each of us to find our own Goldilocks Zone.

I think one of the keys to consistency, progress and a degree of fitness, so to say, is to find a way to train with sincere enjoyment. Then the process itself will be rewarding.
Antti... exactly!!
This is why I like to think of myself as process oriented as opposed to goal oriented. (Nothing against goals...)

Exactly true! BUT... much easier said than done, I find it takes a considerable amount of reaching goas and then thinking “now what??” or rather “why did I bother to do this” to finally find out that the path truly is the goal... took me a long time to fully appreciate what this really means, and quite a bit longer to actually live it! Age makes things clearer I guess, then you wish you were young again

“If Youth knew, and Age could”

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom