all posts post new thread

Old Forum It's Geoff Neupert's fault..or..what's going on with my body?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Matt, Thanks.

Sadly, EVERYTHING causes increases in Uric acid.  At least everything good :)

For a look at the diet insanity if I were to try to control uric acid w/o meds (which in my case is impossible due to a missing enzyme) take a look at this from Mayo Clinic.   You end up with a high carbohydrate diet. (which gives me the hyperglycemic shakes).  The exact opposite diet of what most here would suggest.

Following is from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout-diet/MY01137

Limit meat, poultry and fish. Animal proteins are high in purine. Avoid or severely limit high-purine foods, such as organ meats, herring, anchovies and mackerel. Red meat (beef, pork and lamb), fatty fish and seafood (tuna, shrimp, lobster and scallops) are associated with increased risk of gout. Because all meat, poultry and fish contain purines, limit your intake to 4 to 6 ounces (113 to 170 grams) daily.
Cut back on fat. Saturated fat lowers the body's ability to eliminate uric acid. Choosing plant-based protein, such as beans and legumes, and low-fat or fat-free dairy products will help you cut down the amount of saturated fat in your diet. High-fat meals also contribute to obesity, which is linked to gout.
Limit or avoid alcohol. Alcohol interferes with the elimination of uric acid from your body. Drinking beer, in particular, has been linked to gout attacks. If you're having an attack, avoid all alcohol. However, when you're not having an attack, drinking one or two 5-ounce (148-milliliter) servings a day of wine is not likely to increase your risk.
Limit or avoid foods sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup.Fructose is the only carbohydrate known to increase uric acid. It is best to avoid beverages sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, such as soft drinks or juice drinks. Juices that are 100 percent fruit juice do not seem to stimulate uric acid production as much.
Choose complex carbohydrates. Eat more whole grains and fruits and vegetables and fewer refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, cakes and candy.
Choose low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Some studies have shown that low-fat dairy products can help reduce the risk of gout.

Shockingly,  (not really) this diet directly reflects the medical community's failed yet continuing love affair with the low-fat, high-carbohydrate, eat like a cow, not like a lion diet that has led to so many thin, fit, cardiovascularly high performing, low-CHD, non-diabetic, super human Americans in the last 40 years.

Thanks to all for the feed back.

I'm still working through all the various resources you've given me to consider and then will be readjusting.

After looking at how many calories a day I was eating, it may have been way low.  My maintainence calories are 2700 a day, so I was eating 1200 fewer cals a day NOT counting the KB Swings.

The app I"m using didn't have calories consumed for KB's so I just used "walking briskly" which would be about 150 cals.  I've since read, they are more like running a 6 minute mile. So, I adjusted to 20 minutes of running an 8 minute mile and see its a 400 cal burn.

That stuck me at eating at least 1600 fewer cals than maintenance a day.   The weird part is for the 3 weeks I did that, I've had zero scale weight loss, but now almost two belt notches.

Anyway, going forward I'm doing more calories. Still working out IF protocol I'll run with.

Having never lifted in my life, I'm now wondering if I might actually have a propensity for strength I didn't know about.  My daughter could do 5 dead hang pull ups at 5 years old, so maybe there's a muscle hiding somewhere under my adipose.

Sports and Nutrition, body fat management is not a matter of calories restrictions, but calories/ energy  expenditure. Your calories intake must be the calories rich in nutrients used by your body when your muscles are working and are recovering, so when you are sleeping.

Number of meals, quantity and quality are importants parameters for optimal results. Scale and BMI are not for sports people.

Yes I lesson I learned long ago. I use my waistline  and how much I can press as a measurement.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom