all posts post new thread

Bodyweight It's official - Attending my first ever SFB event!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
As the title says - I've been a follower/forum member long enough, it's time for the real thing!

I signed up for a Bodyweight Cert in my hometown of Winnipeg (in February) and couldn't be more excited! As much as I've been waiting for the SFG to come back - it hasn't in 3-4 years and I was nowhere close to ready last time around - I don't even view this as a compromise.

I'm fairly confident in the pistol - can do both legs easily, 2RM with a 30lb KB. I definitely need to make sure all the nuances are there to pass the test, but I have a great foundation. As for the OAOLPU - I am honestly not sure if I can get there in time. I struggle below a 60 degree height.

I'm not concerned with passing or failing - I just want to be there, learn and grow. With 2 and a half months to practice, I'm extremely confident that even if I don't do it at the cert, I can get it within the time frame required post-certification.

Just to make this a conversation - For someone that needs a lot of work on the OAOLPU - what program would you recommend I start with? NW by the book? @Karen Smith 's six week program? Any others on the site?

@wespom9, make sure you work on your two-legged, one-arm pushup first. Get that solid, from the floor, for 5 reps, and then head back to an elevation and work on the one-legged variety.

-S-

Reactions: jef
For someone that needs a lot of work on the OAOLPU - what program would you recommend

Not a recommendation, because he started out strong in OAP, but I have been following @jef 's training log, which details his prep for his SFB he just passed.

If you haven't seen it, it might be worth looking at, or messaging him about.

@wespom9
As @Kiacek mentionned, I am just back from the SFB in Vicenza. Excellent weekend! You made an excellent decision, the SFB is probably the best cert to really grab the high tension techniques. You can fake it with weight, not with bodyweight.
It is hard to advise a training program without knowing much about where you are in general.

For my part, I did dedicate only one month of specific training, because I had a good foundation already with barbell and kettlebells, and as Kiacek said, I could do a few OAP, and I even succeeded in a (crappy but within standard) OAOLPU about 6 weeks before. Moreover, it is about principles, not tools, and I already attended SFG and SFL, which gave me a good background.

For my training, my goal was to have enough proficiency to be able to learn, deep dive into the principles, and be able to coach the moves to my students. So I loosely trained pistols and pullups (easy practice). If you can already do them, I would also suggest an easy practice, or just continue what you do if they are an important part of your training already.
I also greased the groove with OAP, as in Naked warrior, and did a few OAOL planks.

Remember that at this moment, you are only tested on the OAOLPU.
So if you want to earn the SFB on site, you need to make it THE priority.

How is your standard OAP (with two legs)?
Can you do one with a pause at the top, a short pause at the bottom, a pause again at the top, to depth, without turning your unloaded shoulder up?
Can you do it while maintaining a solid moving plank?

After failing initially at the test, I was lucky enough to receive the right cues, and I succeeded in my last try of the weekend. With this experience, I know that I would modify my preparation to work a lot more on my OAP and not focusing so much on the OAOL version. But a perfect OAP.

@wespom9 Excellent!

My tip: read The Naked Warrior. Practice. Read the book again. Practice smarter. Read the book again and again, continue to practice.

GTG and the tension skills rock. SFB rocks - you will love it.

@jef I feel I have a good foundation of KB and barbell skills, but always lacked upper body pushing strength. I've slowly worked up to doing solid doubles with the 24kg for presses at a bodyweight of 67kg so hopefully that practice carries over. Will take your advice to focus on the two leg version and get in as much practice as possible! Yesterday I did a strong double at about 45 degrees elevation, so lots of work but was surprised I could do that after a few days practice. I'll work on those planks as well

@Pavel Macek thank you! I know I'll have a great time

I am with you, here. Upper body strength is also my weakness.

You can also add to the mix a few pushups on two hands and one leg. This was shown to me by Sr SFG Alexey Senart.
Do the setup of a OAP/OAOLPU (meaning the same stance), but instead of lifting one arm, lift one leg. It will teach you the feeling of the airborne leg. It will also make you conscious of the link between the supporting leg and the opposite arm, which is key to perform a clean OAOLPU.

One last thing. It might be tempting to go to training logs and copy what someone else did. I would not. In my case, I was still doing a lot of KB presses this last month, but I was almost there for the OAOLPU. In most cases, to prepare for the SFB, it is best to make the OAP/OAOLPU the only pushing exercise.

Good training!

As the title says - I've been a follower/forum member long enough, it's time for the real thing!

I signed up for a Bodyweight Cert in my hometown of Winnipeg (in February) and couldn't be more excited! As much as I've been waiting for the SFG to come back - it hasn't in 3-4 years and I was nowhere close to ready last time around - I don't even view this as a compromise.

I'm fairly confident in the pistol - can do both legs easily, 2RM with a 30lb KB. I definitely need to make sure all the nuances are there to pass the test, but I have a great foundation. As for the OAOLPU - I am honestly not sure if I can get there in time. I struggle below a 60 degree height.

I'm not concerned with passing or failing - I just want to be there, learn and grow. With 2 and a half months to practice, I'm extremely confident that even if I don't do it at the cert, I can get it within the time frame required post-certification.

Just to make this a conversation - For someone that needs a lot of work on the OAOLPU - what program would you recommend I start with? NW by the book? @Karen Smith 's six week program? Any others on the site?

Of course you can't go wrong with Pavel's Naked Warrior and many have used my 6 week program to prep also... either will get you there. :)
Look forward to having you join the ranks of SFB. Best of luck and please feel free to reach out should you have questions during your prep.

And just to clarify, you do not have to test the pistol so maintain it and focus on the OAOLPU .

And just to clarify, you do not have to test the pistol so maintain it and focus on the OAOLPU

So even though the pistol is not tested, are people attending the course expected to do much volume with pistols during the two days in the leadup to the test ?

The pistols would put me in a wheelchair but everything else seems within reach.

@Tarzan
As in all StrongFirst events, safety is crucial. If you cannot do something safely for whatever reason, you simply don't.
It is an instructor certification, we are expected to apply good judgement also to ourselves. :)

It should not prevent you to go to the SFB. The experience is great, with or without practicing pistols!

Of course you can't go wrong with Pavel's Naked Warrior and many have used my 6 week program to prep also... either will get you there. :)
Look forward to having you join the ranks of SFB. Best of luck and please feel free to reach out should you have questions during your prep.

And just to clarify, you do not have to test the pistol so maintain it and focus on the OAOLPU .

Thanks very much, I will take you up on that offer at some point! and good info to know about the pistol, I did not realize that

@Tarzan, in the case of an injury or chronic condition that prevents you from doing everything at the cert, I recommending contacting SF HQ directly to get their input.

-S-

Cheers Steve !

I really wouldn't want any special treatment though, it wouldn't be fair on everyone else who's busting their butt to earn their qualifications.

When I read through the course info about exemptions, I thought I wouldn't be eligible anyway. I interpreted that to apply to first responders, vets and law enforcement etc. I dare say I've trained/coached more people than many over the years but I don't have any official qualifications or any way to demonstrate that either.

I don't have medical records as such either, if you don't see you doctor for over seven years here they ditch your records and wipe you off their patient list. So other than scars & a limp they'd just have to take word for it.

Hello fellow Canadian!!! I'm so excited that they're bringing SFG back to Canada. I will eventually repatriate so it'll be good to have more of us there.

Don't forget that you'll get a fantastic manual that outlines each progression that will be taught and you have 6 months after the date to send in a video. That way you get specific coaching from the Master at the cert on your development areas and you can target your practice to fixing those. In my experience, you can't rush bodyweight tension skills.

For those concerned about the pistol. We teach it and all the appropriate mobility drills and progressions. We set a baseline for each person and you proceed according to your current strength and ability level. So while there will be some volume, it does not necessarily mean volume of full range pistols for everyone. I will be practice at your current level or progression.

This cert is honestly open and available to all levels, the progressions are endless and testing is anytime within the 6 month window post certification.
Hope this helps and hope to see you all at an SFB certification soon.

On March 24th I have the honor to teach StrongFirst SFB Bodyweight Course in Prague, Czechia.

Principle-based bodyweight training fans of all levels, you are all very welcomed to join - I will do my best to pass al the important fundamental SFB Bodyweight drills and skills.

For registration please click here > http://bit.ly/2GHKzHl

1706546082237747305_2927041928.jpg

Well everyone, try as I did I don't think I will hit the OAOLPU this weekend. I can hit it at about a 30 degree incline. Inability to properly GTG, hectic work schedule, death in the family all affected my practice but in the end no excuse. I just did not have the base level of core and upper body strength to make it within the timeline. I am closer than I thought, and am very confident going into the weekend I will pick up helpful tips. My goal is to absorb as much as possible, and knock one out on both sides by mid-April.

I went in with the attitude of "I'm not hell bent on achieving it; I just want to learn and help my clients more". I should've been a little more selfish in regards to wanting to master the pushup. Either way, lessons have been learned, greater understanding of strength concepts have allowed me to get to where I am, and I haven't even attended yet! Greatly looking forward to this weekend. I would love to report back next Monday with a nice review of the course!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom