all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Jackie's World Record TGU attempt

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
This coming Saturday, Jackie Vazquez will attempt to set a Guinness World Record - Most Weight Lifted by Turkish Get Up in One Hour (Female).

If you are familiar with some of Jackie's strength accomplishments, you will know she is up to the task. She completed the 5-rep Iron Maiden, has won the Elite/Competition division of the TSC four times, and has completed Sinister with 32kg swings AND get-ups. From her StrongFirst author profile:

1642448682459.png

Jackie's attempt has a greater purpose: raising money for suicide awareness. Please check out the GoFundMe and consider donating if you are so inclined.

From the GoFundMe page:

1642449048833.png

copy/paste of text from the page:

Strength has a greater purpose. I will be using my strength to attempt a Guinness World Record - Most Weight Lifted by Turkish Get Up in One Hour (Female). I will be using my attempt as a fundraiser to help prevent suicide. I recently lost my brother to suicide. The mental pain he must have suffered that last day is unimaginable. There is a better way out. The Youth Impact Club is an organization at the West Bend High School. The suicide prevention club works to educate kids on suicide and mental health. Jackie Schmoldt created the club after losing her 16 year old son to suicide in 2019. The high school has lost zero students to suicide since the organization began! The Youth Impact Club uses its funds to purchase curriculum and a membership into a nationwide suicide prevention program called Hope Squad. Let’s help The Youth Impact Club educate and help our struggling youth!

World Record FAQ

What is the current record?
The record was 2,182kg lifted in one hour when I first started training for this event. Since then, the record has been smashed and now sits at 3,008kg! That’s 188 TGU’s with the 16kg.

When and where will your attempt take place?
I will be attempting to beat the world record on Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 8am at THE GYM WB.

How many Turkish Gets Up will you do?
It depends! I am still training and playing around with different weights and work to rest ratios. Lighter bells require more get ups per minute and heavier bells allow fewer reps per minute. I’m working on finding the sweet spot. More than 100… but less than 200. GWR has a standard that requires a “single arm press up” from the floor, which is a different, more difficult variation than I am used to. This has been my greatest struggle so far.

What is a Turkish Get Up anyways?
A Turkish Get Up (or TGU) is a full body movement, requiring you to move from the floor to a standing position with a weight overhead, held up by a straight arm. There are specific steps to get to standing. The movement is reversed to get back to the laying position. It’s kinda hard to explain… check out my Instagram (jackiejvazquez) for videos.

Why the Turkish Get Up?
One, because I LOVE Get Ups!

Two, because it’s very symbolic. When dealing with mental illness, it becomes difficult to “get up”. Moving around under the weight of the world seems impossible. But you have to just keep getting up. Get up for life. I am going to get up to help those that struggle to get up. May they find the help they need to continue to rise when the weight gets heavy.

Go, Jackie! I can't wait to see you smash this record! And even if you don't, you're doing great things in the attempt.

This is amazing! I appreciate people who try to make a difference. I hope there will be video. Go, Jackie!

I read about the recent record a few weeks ago if I remember correctly. Danny Kavadlo posted about it on his FB page and I think there was a blog post about it on the DD website.

I'm looking forward to Jackie's new record!

She is definitely doing it for a good cause. Mental health issues have gone through the roof in the last 2 years.

Looks like she smashed it!

From @Derek Toshner's FB post: "Got to witness/judge another kettlebell world record! Congrats to Jackie Vazquez for performing 3,960kg worth of getups in a single hour! She finished like a real professional. It was very impressive."

Edit/Add: Wow, she did it with 24kg, too. "165 TGUs in one hour with 24kg = 3,960kg lifted. "

1642867426423.png

Last edited:
Looks like she smashed it!

From @Derek Toshner's FB post: "Got to witness/judge another kettlebell world record! Congrats to Jackie Vazquez for performing 3,960kg worth of getups in a single hour! She finished like a real professional. It was very impressive."

Edit/Add: Wow, she did it with 24kg, too. "165 TGUs in one hour with 24kg = 3,960kg lifted. "

View attachment 15973
lol I thought she was doing this with the 16kg. 24kg is bonkers. She smashed that record.

Thank you everyone for your support and donations!!! Over $5,000 raised to educate the youth on suicide prevention. This record was SO MUCH FUN for me. I love Turkish get ups and could do them all day. Ehhh maybe not… there is a 24 hour TGU Guinness record… that just doesn’t sound as fun as one hour.
I’m excited to write an article about my journey to get here but am always available to answer questions and help you out! Love this community!

I’m excited to write an article about my journey to get here but am always available to answer questions and help you out! Love this community!

Can't wait for the article, Jackie! It was fun watching your training leading up to this on Instagram. Your gym community is so awesome and supportive.

My questions: What do you feel like on the day after? And (although it doesn't seem like you had any limiters with that rate of movement and lifting) what part of your body was the most fatigued, or most challenged to keep up with the pace?

I thought the idea of having two kettlebells, one on left side and one on right side, was brilliant. I guess it's generally better to have the area clear so it isn't something beginners should try to do, but once movement is precise and regular, it seems like a neat method.

Can't wait for the article, Jackie! It was fun watching your training leading up to this on Instagram. Your gym community is so awesome and supportive.

My questions: What do you feel like on the day after? And (although it doesn't seem like you had any limiters with that rate of movement and lifting) what part of your body was the most fatigued, or most challenged to keep up with the pace?

I thought the idea of having two kettlebells, one on left side and one on right side, was brilliant. I guess it's generally better to have the area clear so it isn't something beginners should try to do, but once movement is precise and regular, it seems like a neat method.
Thanks Anna! I actually feel really good today, which is testament to my training! I was very prepared and felt ready. My body is tired but my brain will not let me rest. Way too much excitement up in there.
Two kettlebells was key, but took practice. As did speeding up the movement. We are taught slow and controlled. The pace I kept day off (1/1 TGU every :45) was perfect. This gave me about a 1:1 work to rest ratio I could have pushed the pace a hair faster, but I feel that was too risky. Once that bell starts to feel heavy, it’s game over. I felt this in the last 4.5 minutes. With just under 5 minutes to go, I dropped the rest and tried to just go. After a few reps without rest, it was actually my right bicep that fatigued. The weight suddenly felt 5x heavier. Imagine if I would have sped up my pace earlier and crashed and burned? For me, a consistent, fairly comfortable pace was the key to my success.

Imagine if I would have sped up my pace earlier and crashed and burned? For me, a consistent, fairly comfortable pace was the key to my success.
Very insightful! Thank you. Such a good strategy for any timed event - even a 5-min snatch test. Trust the training... keep the pace... sprint only at the end if you still have it in you.

Glad you're feeling good today. Hope you have an easy week anyway :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom