all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Janda Sit-ups (sans pavelizer)

Adachi

Level 7 Valued Member
So, I had a less than successful experience with recruiting the missus as a training partner.
I was trying out the janda situp with her assistance, and I tried to ask her to change the calibration of that assistance. there was some argument about it, and the experience stopped right then.

So I was looking for tutorials on how to do the Janda situp unassisted. but I hadn't found a way to get my legs flexing against some point of resistance pulling away from me in a structurally sound way.

unless...
thumb_1468612507.png

Maybe it will work to try to pinch a plate between my heels and glutes.
I did try pressing my heels against heavy kettlebells laid on their side, and I didn't feel like I had a good connection between my heel and the bell. maybe this speaks to my hamstrings' strength, but it seemed unstable, and I didn't figure it out.

I do have bumper plates downstairs, so hopefully, this works.

I'm going to try this later, and see how it goes.

I guess my question might be: if you do janda situps without a pavelizer, how do you do them ?

I may find a way to use a door , I don't have a power rack. Maybe I can loop it around something else, I'm sure.

I may find a way to use a door , I don't have a power rack. Maybe I can loop it around something else, I'm sure.
It can be wrapped around a door handle, for sure. Or the leg of a table, or really anything, as it's only like 15 pounds of pressure.

Once nice thing about doing it this way, if you always put your feet in the same place you can have very consistent pressure. Then if you need a little more you just move back a couple inches.

I think if you can do sets of Pilates 100s and Teaser with fully extended legs, the Janda may be unnecessary.
I'm not sure how much of some high-rep demonstrations are a matter of training versus presenting raw talent.
But maybe I'm just bitter cuz I'm a big heavy guy who isn't so strong or able yet.

I'm not sure how much of some high-rep demonstrations are a matter of training versus presenting raw talent.
But maybe I'm just bitter cuz I'm a big heavy guy who isn't so strong or able yet.

I don't know what you mean by 'raw talent'.

Like most things strength, they're a combination of strength and skill that can be developed.

Pelvic control is both muscular and neurological.

Try it.

They're challenging.

Hello,

Unfortunately, I do not think there is a "magic" exercise. Usually, one has to try different exercises to find out what works in function of the goal or constraints. For instance, I feel more engagement with "full contraction crunch" (preparing for a blow) than HLR.

During HLR, "abs" are activated only at the beginning of the move. Beyond a certain point, hip flexors work. When performing a sit up, abs work dunring the first 30-35° of ROM (roughly). It still make sense to work HLR if you do a lot of lifting (which engage hip extensors) though.

Kind regards,

Pet'

well - for Janda sitps i will be attempting it with this ...

71GVrbDr7QL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I plan on trying to affix the door strap attachment higher and threading my ankles through the straps.

I'll see if that works.

and, I may be finding out about an orphaned ab wheel, that needs a new home...

Planning on adding Hardstyle abs to my weekly repertoire.

just gonna do the work.

Why not a la Pavelizer, feet on the ground, resistance band mid-calf?

-S-
that's actually the idea - I'm going to repurpose this strap apparatus to get it around my calf and set the door strap higher.
maybe toward doorknob height.
I'll try it out when it gets delivered.

Well, it arrived yesterday, and I will say - I've not experienced anything exactly like this.
looped the strap around my calf / ankle, and put the strap through the gap in the closed door.

I did 2 unassisted negatives
and 8 single Janda situps band assisted, both up and down.

my lower abs seem to have harvested the highest amount of attention from the motion. They are a bit sore.
I believe I'm noticing a lack of effect on the hip flexors and lower back. so that seems good.
don't currently trust my doorknob to withstand any significant amount of tension so I was glad to have the door strap to take the load.
I am a big heavy guy.

(background)
for now, I'm still waiting on a (free?) ab wheel to make its way out of a box in my coworker's garage. I'll incorporate Janda situps till I feel like I've used up the current cycle of A+A training.
I'm looking to use up my progress on pushups in 10x10 format.
I can feel my hands lightening at the top when training 5/20, and periodically trying sets of 10 have been showing progress.
Right now I've worked up from being able to sustain power pushups for 10/6 to 10/8.
After getting comfortable at 10/10, I intend to take a short break, test my lifts with the barbell (Deadlift, FloorPress) and begin my Reload Cycle.
The current outlook based on time available (Guessing still; work in progress) is 2x week.
light day on Wednesday for both lifts. Hopefully, short rests will keep this session amendable with the dinner and bedtime routine.
heavy day on the weekend for both lifts, when I'll have much more time to rest between sets.
In which case maybe I'll focus more on bracing my deadlifts, and maybe as a lightly programmed accessory (or in a grease-the-groove style), add some Janda situps/ ab wheel reps, here and there, to increase strength that I feel is lacking.
In the meantime, I continue practicing with the McGill Big 3 and Manly Mobility.

71GVrbDr7QL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had looped the bands around the door knob myself. Once I got to heavier bands, I strung up rope to my pullup bar to the same height of the door knob. I had to use a slightly longer rope to make sure the height was the same while maintaining the angle.

Getting that angle of pull on the calves while keeping the feet flat and grounded were important to some strong abs.

Back
Top Bottom