Jared's Swing This, Lift That Log!!

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
Hello everyone!! My names is Jared and I am 31 years old and live in South Carolina, United States. I have been married for almost 7 years and am the proud father of 2 boys (4 year old and a 2 month old). Started trying to get "fit" in 2011 since I weighed nearly 300 pounds and needed a lifestyle change. At one point in 2012 I had dropped all the way down to 190 from lots of running, developing better eating habits and doing some circuits at home with a pair of PowerBlock Adjustable Dumbbells. I could run for days but could barely lift all the groceries in one trip so I joined a commercial gym in late 2012 and have been hooked on strength training since then. Life really changed in 2014 when I discovered Kettlebells for the first time and was a great "addiction" to go along with my barbell work. I have kept a log on T-Nation since 2014 but there is only a handful of people who are really into kettlebell lifting. Starting a log here so I can get feedback and see what other like minded folks are doing!

Current Stats
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 230 pounds

Best Barbell Lifts (Date Accomplished)
High Bar Back Squat: 400 pounds (3-13-17)
Front Squat: 325 pounds (10-31-16)
Bench Press: 320 pounds (Paused) (12-23-16)
Power Clean & Strict Overhead Press: 225 pounds (12-20-16)
Deadlift: 550 pounds (11-1-16)

Kettlebell Highlights for me
I Own: 1-35, 2-55's, 1-80, 1-106 (Beast) (just purchased last week!!)
Kettlebell Snatches: 80# KB for 5x10 with each arm (100 total reps)
100 rep Snatch Test: 55# KB in 4:41
Turkish Get Up: 80# KB for 5x1 each arm
1 Arm Clean & Strict Press: 106# KB a.k.a The Beast

Since the birth of my second child in late March, I've been focusing more attention on my Kettlebell lifts and letting Barbell lifts be more secondary. Since I could get back into the gym, I have been running Juggernaut Method 2.0 2 day a week set up to go along with 2 - Simple & Sinister sessions a week. Here's my setup currently......

Monday: Gym Day - Squat / Bench
Tuesday: Simple & Sinister (Usually in my office at work with a 55# KB)
Wednesday: Off (mobility)
Thursday: Gym Day - Oh Press / Deadlit
Friday: Simple & Sinister (At Home)
Saturday: KB Clean & Jerk Ladders
Sunday: Off (mobility or Turkish Get Up practice)

This has gotten pretty long and I'm sure there is a lot more I could add but will end it here. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and get some solid advice. I will list my goals for barbells and kettlebells in a later post!!

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
Here was my lifting session from yesterday....

5/22/17

Juggernaut Method (2 day per week setup)
8's Wave Accumulation
Squat Day and Oh Press Day
(Combined due to some scheduling issues this week)

S&S Warm Up

Squats: 255 - 4x8, 1x11
Oh Press: (Inverted Juggernaut Method) 140 - 7x5, 1x10

Notes: Felt pretty tight on this day but things moved pretty well. I had done 1 Arm Clean & Jerk Ladders on Saturday with The Beast for 3 Ladders of 1,2,3 and Get Up practice on Sunday with the 80. Was definitely feeling the effects from those 2 sessions yesterday!

Antti

More than 2500 posts
Welcome! Looks like you're doing really, really well already. Looking forward to reading your log.

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
5/23/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm up

55# Kettlebell for each movement
1 Arm KB Snatches: 5x10 each (4:49)
- 1 minute break -
Turkish Get Ups: 8x1 each (9:49)

Notes: Found out I have just enough ceiling height to do Snatches in a certain spot in my tiny office here at work. Snatches weren't feeling too great but as long as I can keep the 100 total reps below 5 minutes I won't complain too much. I kept going after 5 TGUs each side since I think it only took me between 5-6 minutes to get through those. Pretty happy with 16 TGUs and 100 Snatches in a 15 minute time frame. With that said, I laid in the floor for a few minutes after completing this session!

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
I have had my 48 kg /106 lb Kettlebell for a week now and have gotten through a couple of really solid workouts with The Beast. So far I can Clean & Press this bell as well as perform Ladders with Clean & Jerks (3 x 1,2,3). Here is a list of goals I'm hoping to achieve with this bell that I'm sure will keep me busy for a long time.

Perform a Turkish Get Up with each arm using solid technique
Clean & Press for Ladders (3 x 1,2,3 to start and build to 5 x 1,2,3,4,5)
Accomplish the Sinister Goal from Simple and Sinister
Perform Snatches for reps and ultimately 5x10 with each arm

I feel if I accomplish these goals in the long run I will be very satisfied with my kettlebell training and will re-adjust when/ if that time comes. As far as Barbell goals, I haven't really set anything in stone yet (see below) but increasing my general strength has done wonders for increasing kettlebell strength. I guess strong is strong no matter what you are lifting as long as the technique is sound.

At one point a couple of years ago I had seriously considered signing up for a KB Sport Competition (Long Cycle) but I caught a terrible stomach flu that just completely derailed my training and enthusiasm for a period of time that I sort of lost the motivation to train for such a brutal event. Losing 20 pounds in 4 days just pretty much took the wind out of my sail. Accomplishing the above with the 48 kg bell may inspire me to think about signing up again.

If I had to put a number on Barbell goals I would say a 450 High Bar Squat, 600 Deadlift, 250 Clean & Strict Press and maybe a 350 Bench Press would be something I will shoot for in the future. I am not a huge fan of the Bench Press and don't put as much value into it as a lot of other folks. The Oh Press to me is a better show of upper body strength in my opinion and I'm sure a lot of you guys here feel the same way.

Anna C

More than 5000 posts
Elite Certified Instructor
Hi Jared, great log and looks like you have a lot to share.

I just signed up for the SFL certification in Charleston, South Carolina. Here is the link, in case you are interested:
Charleston, SC – October 13-15, 2017

Sounds like you have plenty of knowledge but it is an opportunity to learn from the very best, and StrongFirst certs are so much fun.

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
Hi Jared, great log and looks like you have a lot to share.

I just signed up for the SFL certification in Charleston, South Carolina. Here is the link, in case you are interested:
Charleston, SC – October 13-15, 2017

Sounds like you have plenty of knowledge but it is an opportunity to learn from the very best, and StrongFirst certs are so much fun.
Thanks @Anna C

I would love the opportunity to take the SFL certification course!! I didn't realize the courses came to SC which is really exciting. My wife being a school teacher and with 2 little guys in the house our schedules stay pretty hectic. Who knows, maybe I can convince her for a nice romantic get a away and I can make it!! Will certainly keep my eye on this.

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
5/24/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm up

2 Hand KB Swings: 106 - 10x10 (EMOM for 10 minutes)
Turkish Get Ups: 80 - 5x1 each (unofficial time of ~10 minutes)

Notes: Was hoping to get into the gym today for some Deadlifts and light Squats but that didn't quite pan out (as expected) but was able to sneak in a Simple & Sinister session at home. Decided on 2 Hand Swings with the 106 and went with EMOM for 10 reps. This got pretty tough on the last couple of rounds. Took a short break to kind of practice the groove of going from floor elbow on TGUs (weak point for me). I didn't put the actual timer on my phone but I "unofficially" got his done in 10 minutes. I noticed when I started my first TGU the clock on the TV said 12:53, when I parked the bell after my final TGU it read 1:03. Definitely a confidence boost in that regard.

Side Note: Most gym / barbell days I go to the gym that is about 5 minutes from where I work on my lunch break through the week. Today I had to go home and help my wife with a couple of things. She is on her final week of maternity leave so as she was getting some school stuff situated I was tending to our youngest son. She finished up quicker than expected so I took advantage of the little time I had left before going back to work.

Anna C

More than 5000 posts
Elite Certified Instructor
Will certainly keep my eye on this.
The early bird discounts are significant! It's currently $400 off the full price, at some point (don't know when but Doc Hartle could probably tell you) it will go to $200 off, and then to full price as the date approaches. So, planning ahead pays off, if it looks like a possibility.

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
5/26/17

S&S Warm Up

KB Clean & Jerks: 106 - 4 Ladders of 1,2,3
2 Hand KB Swings: 106 - 2x15, 1x20
TGU: 80 - 3x1 each

Notes: Pretty solid day all around. At one point during the C&Js there was a fine line between a Jerk and a Push Press. Need to stay focused when fatigue starts to set in. Went medium volume for swings and get ups since I am planning another S&S session for tomorrow.

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
5/27/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Swings: 80 - 5x10 each (4:40)
- 1 minute break -
TGU: 80 - 5x1 each (7:39)

Notes: Achieved what I have to call my version of "Simple" today. I don't own a 32kg / 70lb bell so my jumps go 55, 80, and 106. I knew from the Prying Goblet Squats in the warm up this was going to be a good day. Played the swings pretty conservative to save energy for the TGUs. Didn't really rest at all during TGUs except for the final rep with my right. Took about a 30 seconds rest just to make sure I didn't get too excited or carried away. Next up: THE BEAST / SINISTER!!

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
5/29/17 Happy Memorial Day

Simple and Sinister

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Swings: 106 (48 kg) - 5x10 each
TGU: 80 (36.4 kg) - 5x1 each
Ab Wheel: 2x5

Notes: First time swinging The Beast with one arm this morning. Moved well but definitely makes me pay a lot more attention to my Swing form. Took my time on TGUs and slowed down the movement. Certainly a good practice S&S session in preparation for sprinkling in some TGUs with The Beast. Did a couple of easy sets of 5 on the Ab Wheel just because it looked lonely!

masa

More than 2500 posts
Good stuff in here!:) Makes me want to incorporate some barbell work with S&S too. Inspirational.

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
Thanks for the kind words @masa

I really think the barbell work contributed a lot to achieving my goal with S&S as well as practicing TGUs every chance I could. Personally I feel like Squats and Overhead Presses had really good strength carry over to learning the technical parts of TGUs. The Swing portion was pretty much always there but TGUs required a lot of practice and patience.... and then a little more patience..... with some more practice!!!

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
5/30/17

Juggernaut Method (2 day per week setup)
8's Wave Accumulation
Bench Press Day (Inverted Juggernaut Method)

S&S Warm Up

1A) Paused Bench Press: 215 - 7x3, 1x10 (touch and go)
1B) Pull Ups: Bodyweight - 8x5
2) Squats: 315 - 3x3
3) Ab Wheel: 2x5

Notes: Pretty solid session today. Squat rack was taken so had to go ahead and bench first. Decided to switch to Inverted Juggernaut so that way I could get more practice on my Bench Press. Better to have a total of 8 sets instead of 3 when setting up for Bench has been a problem for me lately. Also I could keep the reps pretty low on Pull Ups and still accumulate volume. I think I'm actually stronger on Bench Press when I pause as opposed to touch and go. I feel like I can stay in a better groove. Did the 8th set at a safe 10 reps touch and go. Feel like there is no need to pause when going above 5 reps. Squats moved well especially after all of the Bench / Pull Up sets. Originally planned 330 for 3x3 but having to shift things around I figured 315 would fit the bill. A couple of sets of 5 on the Ab Wheel to finish up because I felt like the gym's Ab Wheel looked lonely!!

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
Been dealing with a stomach bug since Wednesday afternoon. Been pretty rough but I hope I'm coming toward the end of this thing soon enough. Putting training on the shelf until I can get this thing gone for the most part. Hopefully Monday I can get back to a light S&S session before getting back to a barbell.

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
6/7/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Swings: 55 - 5x10 each
TGU: 55- 5x1 each

Notes: First time feeling like a human being since getting sick last week so I figured while I had some extra time at work I could sneak in a light S&S practice just to get my body moving. Took my time on each section and felt pretty good for the most part. Hopefully I can build off of this and get everything back to square one soon enough!

Jared_G_85

Triple-Digit Post Count
6/12/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Swings: 106 - 5x10 each
TGU: 80 - 5x1 each

Side Note: Turns out that stomach virus and colitis lasted all the way until Saturday. Got some antibiotics and lots of rest over the past several days so I was ready for a bit more strenuous S&S training session. Also spent Friday evening in the Emergency Room due to sever dehydration. Yeah I was drinking lots of water but the virus was taking out waaaaay more than I could put in.

Notes on Training: Originally planned to Swing and perform TGUs with the 80 but my brain really waned to get hold of the 106 so that's what I went with for the day. Pleased with the Swings even though grip was starting to give out on the last couple of sets. TGUs with the 80 were a bit sloppy but I think this was due to lack of practice. Pleased with energy levels throughout this session. Thought I would be gasping for air since I haven't moved much in the past week and a half.

Top Bottom