all posts post new thread

Jared's Swing This, Lift That Log!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
6/13/17

Juggernaut Method (2 day per week setup)
8's Wave Accumulation
Squat Day (Inverted Juggernaut Method)

Squats: 280 - 8x3
Incline Bench Press: 185 - 2x5

---- decided on a little KB complex here ---

3 Rounds with 1 - 50# KB (gym only has a 50)
Started with the left arm
5 x Swings
5 x Snatch
1 x TGU
Switch to right and repeat

Notes: Thinking I could just pick right back up on my programming after 2 weeks of being sick wasn't the smartest thing in the world. First few sets of Squats were tough mostly due to lack of practice. By the 5th set I found my groove a bit but wasted too much energy fighting bad technique. Quads were on fire so I didn't take the 8th set for a small AMRAP. Did a few sets of Incline Bench for no particular reason.

The KB Complex at the end was really fun. Starting the TGU from the top, getting down and getting back up to switch hands was fun in a very StrongFirst way!! When doing this in a commercial gym you get odd looks but I know a lot you good folks here have been there and done that!!

6/14/17

Juggernaut Method
8's Wave Accumulation
Overhead Press Day (Inverted Juggernaut Method)

1A) Oh Press: 155 - 8x3 (I always Power Clean my first rep)
1B) Pull Ups - BW - 6x5, 1x10

Notes: We joined our local YMCA earlier this week and I decided to scoot over there for a workout today since my wife and son were already there. They have some things that I will certainly enjoy like a lifting platform and a trap bar. That's if I can stay off the basketball court!! They only had 2 areas to do Pull Ups, one in a squat rack and the other on the Cable Cross section. Will still keep my membership to my normal gym (only 10 dollars) but will definitely get good use out of the lifting platform for deadlifts.

As far as the workout itself, just a get in and get out day. No AMRAP on the 8th set again. Still trying to get my strength back as well as gain the weight I lost while I was sick. After this week, I may think about hopping off Juggernaut and take some time to regain my technique on all lifts as well as build my strength back up with no actual programming. That way I'm not tied to any numbers on a given workout and can just go by feel.

Thanks @Anna C

I'm definitely going to give this a go very soon. This could be perfect for me to do at my office since I keep a 55 here at work and eventually build up to the 80. Looks like there's a lot of room to progress with the Simply Sinister Plan. Checked out the link to your log and that is awesome you could do that unbroken!!

6/16/17

Deadlift: 405 - 3x5
Pause Squats: 225 - 5x3

Notes: First time deadlifting in well over a month. Weights moved well but can tell there was some rust from not doing the movement in a while. Paused Squats were SUPER light since I needed the technique work and quads were still sore from Tuesday.

6/17/17

Simply Sinister (C&P Variation)

S&S Warm Up

5 Rounds with 55# KB
Started with left arm
1 Arm Swings x 10
Clean & Press x 1
TGU x 1
Switch Hands and Repeat....

Thanks @Anna C for this recommendation!! 55 pound bell hasn't felt that strenuous in a long time!!

Notes: Parked the bell after each full round (L+R) to rest about 20 seconds for the first 3 Rounds. Did the final 2 Rounds unbroken to finish. I hurt my left big toe earlier in the week so during TGUs with the right I couldn't stay as stable when the left foot was in the back. Definitely going to stick with this for a while!

Great job! Yeah, it's a blast, and there are endless variations!

Just some thoughts about how I'm going to set my training up for the next few months.....

For now I think it is best for my sanity and training to put the Juggernaut Method on the shelf for a while. It's an AMAZING program but it's also a pretty demanding program in terms of volume. Losing close to 15 pounds during that time did not do me any favors and I was also at the wrong point in the training cycle to take 2 weeks off of lifting. Trying to come back at that particular point and pick right back up where I left off was a bit of a dumb move on my part!

In terms of barbell lifting I will go ahead and start using the Advanced 5/3/1 setup but go with some low Training Maxes just so I can build technique and slowly build strength back up until about mid-August where I can put more emphasis on increasing the big 4 lifts. I'm hoping I can start getting into the gym 3 days a week as opposed to 2 but family and work will kind of dictate that at the moment. The big thing I need to make sure of is squatting at least twice a week. I'm not a good squatter so I need lots of practice. Good things always happened when I squatted a minimum of twice a week. Not going to emphasize Bench Press as much right now but will kind of go by feel for the most part.

Simple & Sinister and Simply Sinister will be my focus in terms of kettlebells. I dropped something on my left big toe earlier last week which makes TGUs a bit painful when my left leg is behind me in the lunge position when doing a TGU with my right arm. This isn't as big of an issue since I'm right handed and will give me a chance to perfect my technique on my left side. I can do TGUs with my right arm but I have to position my left foot in a way where I don't have as much weight on my toe. Fine for using a 55 but probably not a good idea going heavy.

Here's a layout I've got loosely in my head and spreadsheet at the moment when I can make it to the gym 3 days a week. If I can make only make it 2 days a week then this can easily be adjusted as needed.

Day 1:
Squat: Advanced 5/3/1
Bench Press: 3x5
Row: by feel

Day 2:
Simply Sinister at work or Off

Day 3:
Deadlift: Advanced 5/3/1
Paused Squats: by feel

Day 4:
Simply Sinister at work or Off

Day 5:
Squat: 2-3x5
Oh Press: Advanced 5/3/1
Pull Ups: by feel

Day 6:
Simple & Sinister at home with heavier bells

Day 7:
Off

That looks like a good plan. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Thanks @Antti

I feel pretty good about what I got laid out at the moment and just treating the next few months as a bit of a rebuilding phase for barbells. I'm sure I will make some adjustments here and there but the overall plan should still be intact.

6/19/17

Simply Sinister (C&P Variation)

S&S Warm Up

5 Rounds with 55# KB
Started with left arm
1 Arm Swings x 10
Clean & Press x 1
TGU x 1
Switch Hands and Repeat....

Notes: Got this done in my office and happy to report I did every round unbroken!! Got this done "unofficially" in around 8 minutes. Didn't put a timer on this session so I don't have an exact time. Good, quick office kettlebell session since I couldn't make it to the gym today!!

6/20/17

S&S Warm Up

Squats: 250 - 5x5
Bench Press: 210 - 3x5
DB Row: 80 - 2x10

Notes: Pretty simple full body session. Squats felt really good but at this weight they should move easy enough. Bench Press didn't move as well but this was my first time benching in about 3-4 weeks so I'm going to chalk it up to rust. I may have to Deadlift or Oh Press tomorrow since scheduling for the week is a bit out of whack!

6/21/17

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm KB Snatch: 80 - 4x5, 1x10 (each)
1 Arm KB Snatch: 106 - 1x1 (right arm only but a PR)
TGU: 80 - 5x1 (each)

---- This post could get long, but was a very productive session ---

Notes (Snatches): Very solid Snatch practice at home during lunch break today. First few sets were spent getting use to snatching this bell again but felt very easy overall. On the 5th and final set I figured I would see how 10 felt and very satisfied with the result. Looking at The Beast in the corner of my living room I figured since I was cooking pretty well I wanted to see how a single Snatch felt. Moved very well for a new PR. Looking back I should have performed this with the left arm but I honestly didn't think about it until after. The idea was definitely inspired by @Harald Motz. Even lowered it slowly back to the rack position in the reverse chin up style like he does!

Notes (TGUs): Was able to perform TGU's without any pain from my left big toe. While I have achieved "Simple" with my 80 pound bell I feel as if I don't COMPLETELY own this bell yet when it comes to the TGU especially with my left arm. Today's practice made me realize I'm muscling myself from floor to elbow in a crunch fashion as opposed to properly rolling on to it. After reading @Pavel Macek article about Solid it made me realize some errors I was making in regards to technique. Awesome article @Pavel Macek and thank you for all you put out there for us!!

Notes (Moving Forward): This session made me realize I need to upgrade to the 80 pound bell as my new "Snatch" bell instead of the 55. The 55 has been my Snatch bell for far too long but never really thought about it until today. While I did perform 100 total Snatches with the 80 March of last year I never really built upon that momentum. It was like, "Yay I did it, now I'm done with snatching this bell." While I still want to achieve "Sinister" at some point in my lifetime, making the 80 my Snatch bell will go a long way in helping me reach the goals in Simply Sinister which with practice and patience can go a long way in helping me really start to build towards Sinister. At some point, I may need to consider putting the 80 in my office at work so I can easily get the practice I need to almost make my 55 obsolete!

A long ramble but it was nice to slow down and really think things through as I performed this session!

A long ramble but it was nice to slow down and really think things through as I performed this session!
Jared, great to read about your snatch with the beast. That's big. I like slow down (with eccentric) and with a session in general. It is really thinking and feeling and meditating on the doing while having a rest.

Jared, great to read about your snatch with the beast. That's big. I like slow down (with eccentric) and with a session in general. It is really thinking and feeling and meditating on the doing while having a rest.

Thanks Harald!! Means a lot coming from you!

Yesterdays session was very eye opening in terms of getting the proper perspective on what it is I'm trying to achieve. I learned I need to slow things down and treat what I'm doing as a craft/skill and not a "workout." I know Pavel has mentioned this hundreds of times in his writings but I think all of the principles he has laid out are slowly starting to click with me. I need to keep in mind moving forward to always PRACTICE and NOT TEST! This will apply to kettlebells and barbells.

Also this was the number 1 reason I decided to join the StrongFirst forum. I needed to get a better perspective from more experienced lifters that have achieved or are trying to achieve the same things I am.

Craftsmanship is an everyday job. Sometimes fun sometimes not so fun, but everyday doing. Sometimes good, never the best but getting some work done. Personally I just enjoy practicing and kind of test regularly as I just see how a lift, a complex or chain goes for the day, and getting better on the grasp on feeling of what is just enough for the day, because tomorrow the sun will shine or behind clouds anyway, if I like it or not.

6/22/17

Deadlift: 365 - 5x5
Squats: 255 - 3x5
Oh Press: 145 - 2x5
Pull Ups: BW - 2x5

Notes: Deadlifts were moving very fast and crisp across all sets. This is not an intimidating weight so I could take my time and take care of the little things such as setup and make sure I was in proper positions. Squats were decent enough. Fatigue started to set in after the second set so the third was a bit slower than I would have liked. Knowing I wouldn't be able to get in the gym again this week, I knocked out a couple of sets of Oh Press and Pull Ups just for the practice. Solid session!!

@Harald Motz, very well said sir!! Really enjoy your perspective! I'm sure as time goes along I will be picking your brain a lot more

this is a big thing and gives power to the lift.

Yes sir!! Most of the time whenever my deadlift tends to get out of sorts, it usually all stems from the setup. Things like this are just one of those things I'm looking to get sorted out (again) for the next few months so that way later in the year I can get ready to set some new PR's.

6/24/17

S&S Warm Up

KB Snatch: 106 - 1x1 (each)
KB Snatch: 80 - 3x10, 4x5 (each)
2 Arm KB Swing: 106 - 1x35
TGU: 55 - 2x1 (each), 80 - 2x1 (each)
TGU: 106 - right arm to lunge position

Notes: Now I can say I've done a Snatch with my left and right arm with The Beast! Moved on to the 80 for Snatches and put the sets of 10 at the front. 3 sets of 10 was good enough for 10's work and brought the reps down to 5 so I could get 100 total on the day. Just went with 1 set of swings and pretty happy with 35 reps. Had plenty in the tank and could probably get 50 straight with The Beast if I didn't so many Snatches at the start. Technique work for TGUs and threw in a bonus Beast TGU to Lunge position at the very end with my right arm. Solid work for the day!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom