all posts post new thread

Jared's Swing This, Lift That Log!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You really aren't afraid of the big kettlebells. Great job!

Thanks @Antti

Definitely not "afraid" of the heavy bells but certainly "respectful" of them, especially The Beast!! I'm sure it's because I've gotten more experience under my belt with KBs but I was waaaaaaaay more intimidated by my 80 pound bell when I first got it a few years ago than I am The Beast!! I felt like I had a better shot of deadlifting 600 pounds than doing a Snatch or even a TGU with the 80 back when I first got that bell!

6/26/17

5 Rounds of the following
55# Kettlebell
Started with left arm:
5 x 1 Arm Swing
5 x KB Snatch
5 x Split Squat (in front rack position)
5 x Clean & Press
1 x TGU
Switch hands and repeat

Notes: Went with my take on the old Deep Six but with split squats as opposed to the front squat. Took about 90 seconds rest after I finished the round with my right arm. Decided on this in my office instead of Simply Sinister just for a change of pace. Glad I did this near the end of the work day because my work shirt and blue jeans are soaked and stuck to me pretty good right now!! Solid, quick session!!

6/27/17

1A) Oh Press: 165 - 5x3
1B) Pull Ups: Bodyweight - 8x5, 1x10 (50 total on the day)

Simply Sinister (Clean & Press variation)
5 Rounds
50 pound kettlebell (started with left arm)
10 x 1 Arm Swings
1 x Clean & Press
1 x TGU
Switch Hands, Repeat (parked bell for a 20 secs rest between rounds)

Notes: Originally wanted to Front Squat today but racks were taken so I went with Oh Press and Pull Ups. Presses moved well as did Pull Ups. I started Pull Ups during my warm up sets which is why there are more sets than Oh Press. Once I finished the final set of Oh Press I realized I was at 40 Pull Ups on the day so I knocked out a final set of 10.

Hoping to Front Squat after this, the racks were still taken so I found the gym's 50 pound KB and did a pretty easy Simply Sinister. Due to my session yesterday, I didn't want to push this too hard so I rested for 20 secs (timed on the gym's clock) after I completed the TGU with my right hand. Definitely goes to show that if your technique is solid and you aren't constantly testing yourself (weight or time), you can insert Simply or Simple & Sinister anywhere and it not effect your barbell lifts. Solid session for the day!

6/29/17

S&S Warm Up

Front Squat: 315x1
Front Squat (volume work): 235 - 6x3
Deadlift: 405 - 3x3
Deadlift: 455 - 1x2

Notes: Goal for the Front Squat was to work up to a tough but comfortable single. The rep felt really good although it was a bit on the slow side but was able to get through it okay. Definitely not a 1 rep max but was definitely an RPE 9 if I were to put a number on it. Dropped back to volume work at around 75 percent. Did a few pauses here and there. Usually on the first or last rep but I didn't really track that in my phone.

Deadlifts were moving smooth enough. Since I was a bit fatigued from Front Squats I decided on 3x3 at 405 instead of 5x3. After I finished the 3rd set I decided I would pull 455 for a single just to get a feel for some heavier weight that I knew wouldn't wreck me. Single felt easy enough so I just knocked it out for one more rep just to get some confidence back. Solid session!!

7/1/17

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Clean & Jerks: 106: 1,2,3,1,2 (each)
* Technique wasn't up to par so stopped here

Every Minute on the Minute
10 Minutes
5 x 2 Arm Swings - 106
5 x Push Ups
5 x Split Squat (L)
5 x Split Squat (R)

TGU: 55 - 2x1 (each) 80 - 3x1 (each)

Ab Wheel: 3x10

Notes: Clean & Jerks were a bit all over the place today. Got through 1 Ladder and after the 2 reps with each arm on the second Ladder I figured I needed to play it safe and end it there. The EMOM Swing and bodyweight work is an old favorite of mine that I came up with last year. Kept consistent pace at about 35 secs work to 25 secs rest each round. TGUs and Ab Wheel as a bit of a cool down to finish. Solid day even with the rough C&Js!

7/3/17

Squats: 345x1
Squats (volume work): 225 - 3x10
Close Grip Bench Press: 185 - 1x10

Notes: Worked up to a comfortable single with 345 that moved easy enough. Decided on some higher rep work at a lighter weight. Was going to do some heavier CG Bench work but had to cut it short and just hit 185 for a quick set of 10. Solid day!

7/4/17

S&S Warm Up

1A) KB Snatch: 55 - 10x10, 1x15 (each arm ) (230 total reps) (PR)
1B) Plank: 30 seconds

Notes: 230 total Snatches is definitely a total rep PR in the KB Snatch. I decided to use 30 second Planks as a bit of an active rest which also provided a good full body stretch between sets. I was able to keep a decent flow throughout this session. Even with all these Snatches I never felt gassed at any point but my hands were starting to feel the effects of all the Snatches. After I finished the 10th set I was a bit unsure what I wanted to do next so I just decided on 15 more reps with each arm. Very wrist friendly session (see below) before heading off to family's house to celebrate 4th of July. Didn't feel as guilty about eating lots of hotdogs and hamburgers!!!

Side Note: Something I didn't report on my Saturday session was I tweaked my right wrist on the down part of a TGU with my left arm. Finished the session with a bit of soreness but really aggravated it pulling weeds and doing lots of yard work directly after my KB session. For the early part of the week I'm just trying to do wrist friendly movements such as the Back Squat on Monday instead of Front Squat and no TGUs. Should be fully healed by the weekend. Even keeping KB Snatches on the lighter side just to play things safe. Would much rather miss a week of heavy'ish KB work than have to miss a month because I'm too stupid to listen to my body!

Congrats on the PR!

Easing up on the wrist sounds like a sensible thing to do.

Congrats on the PR!

Easing up on the wrist sounds like a sensible thing to do.

Thanks @Antti

Luckily the wrist isn't anything too serious. I tried a few unweighted TGUs yesterday when I'd get off the floor after hip bridges during warm ups and that's where I get the most discomfort. I'm sure by the weekend I can get back to unweighted TGUs and I may even wait until the next weekend to start adding some light weight.

Other than Front Squats and maybe Oh Press, I shouldn't see this affecting my barbell lifts in any capacity. The only reason I wonder about Oh Press is because I like to Power Clean my first rep. I catch the Power Clean with a false grip so I don't think there will be any risk as long as I'm not trying for a new max which I'm many months away from even thinking about 1 rep maxes at this point.

7/6/17

1) Front Squat: 285x4 (rep PR), 225x10
2a) Oh Press: 185 - 5x1, 145x8
2b) Pull Ups: 10x5

Notes: Rack was open so I decided to help myself to some Front Squats. Was working up in singles to 285 and figured I would try to get 3 or more reps with this weight. I have Front Squatted 285 in the past for 5x2 and several singles so anything over 2 would be a PR. The bar started to slide a bit on the 4th rep and still with some tenderness in my right wrist I didn't try anything stupid. Definitely have 5 or more reps with this weight. Hit a solid 10 reps on a single down set with 225. Started to lose the rack position towards the end but nothing too bad.

Five singles with 185 moved smooth enough. Pleased with how this moved considering I put a good bit of energy into Front Squats. Decided on an AMRAP after the 5th single and got 8 with 145. I was pretty much just done at this point!! Solid day all around!

7/7/17

Deadlift: 500x1
Deadlift (volume work): 375 - 3x3

Notes: 500 on Deadlift moved pretty well. Lockout was a bit slow since the bar got out in front of me a bit but nothing too bad. Did volume work at 75 percent for some beltless triples. Workout out at the YMCA and afterwards it was off to the splash pad with my wife and son for a nice watery cool down!!

7/8/17

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Clean & Jerk: 55 - 5 Ladders (2,3,5,10)

Notes: Decided on some 1 Arm C&Js (Long Cycle) for the day since my lower body was feeling the effects of Front Squats and Deadlifts in back to back days. 200 total reps (100 each arm) is another total rep PR. All the reps provided good technique work as well as conditioning.

After reps 2,3,5 I parked the bell just long enough to end the set and keep going. After the 5 reps I rested 20-30 secs before starting 10 reps. After 10 I parked the bell for a moment and knocked the 2,3,5 out and repeated that method the whole time. This really cut down a lot of the rest times and made for a quick, solid session!!

7/10/17

1) Front Squats: 225 - 5x5
2A) Close Grip Bench Press: 185 - 3x8
2B) Weighted Pull Ups: 45 - 3x3
3A) Ab Wheel: 3x10
3B) Pull Ups: 3x5

Notes: Pretty much a punch the clock session. Going to get back to sprinkling in weighted pull ups here and there. I typically only like sets of 3 with weighted work just to save my elbows. Close Grip Bench Press will be my main "Bench" variation but only going with light to medium weights for a bit of volume. Solid day all around!

7/11/17

S&S Warm Up

Simply Sinister (Snatch Variant)
5 Rounds
55# Kettlebell (Started with left hand)
10 x Swings
5 x Snatch
1 x TGU
Switch hands and repeat

Notes: Did this in my office at work before heading home. Did the first 3 rounds unbroken but sat it down for about 30 seconds after the 3rd round. Finished the last 2 rounds unbroken. Right wrist held up "okay" but managed to get through this with minimal discomfort. Solid, quick office session!!

7/12/17

S&S Warm Up
(Lately 2 Rounds of 5-Goblet Squats & 5-Glute Bridges have fit the bill)

Pause Back Squats: 285 - 6x2
Oh Press: 155 - 5x5 (supposed to be 150 but couldn't find the 2.5's)

Notes: Gym was unusually packed at 12:30 so ended up doing more Pause Squats (originally planned 2x2 after Press) and cutting out assistance work for the day. Pause Squats moved well. Just kept adding sets until bar speed started to feel a bit slow. I'm a "grinder" so what looks really slow and hard to most people feels pretty smooth for me. Nothing much to report on Oh Press. My brain kept saying we need a pull movement but I will most likely have to move Deadlifts tomorrow since Friday is a bit up in the air in terms of what's planned for the day with family! Another solid, punch the clock day!!

7/14/17

S&S Warm Up

Deadlift: 375 - 4x5, 1x10

Notes: Much like last week, Deadlifts and then water park. Did the first 4x5 beltless and then belted up for a set of 10. Decided on a set of 10 on the 5th set since I knew I wouldn't be performing any other movements for this day. Solid day!!

7/15/17

S&S Warm Up + Hip Flexor Stretches

1 Arm C&J: 80 - 4 x (2,3,5), 1x12 (rep PR)
2 Hand KB Swing: 106 - 2x20
TGU: 55 - 5x1 (each)

Notes: Felt sore and tight from Deadlifts yesterday so REALLY needed the S&S Warm Up and then hip flexor stretches. Happy with C&Js today. After the 4th Ladder I decided to go for 10 reps which would be a PR. Got to 12 with my left, switched hands and 12 more with the right. Did a couple of sets of Swings to kind of work my way down to the floor for TGUs. Pretty happy with this session!!

7/17/17

S&S Warm Up + Hip Flexor Stretches (just a thing now!!)

Front Squat: 255 - 8x3
Close Grip Bench Press: 195 - 3x8

Notes: Front Squats were moving well with this weight so instead of going for a small AMRAP on the 5th set, I kept adding sets of 3 until I wasn't happy with bar speed again. Eight was the magic number for this day. Knowing I added 3 extra sets on Front Squats I sort of knew this meant I was going to have to cut out Pull Ups given my allotted time. CG Bench Press moved without any issues. Solid day!

7/19/17

S&S Warm Up + Hip Flexor Stretches

1A) Oh Press: 170 - 4x3, 1x6
1B) KB Snatch: 50 - 5x10 (each)
2) Paused Front Squat: 225 - 5x3 (5 "Mississippi" count in my head)

Notes: Dip Belt was nowhere to be found for weighted pull ups so I figured I would take the gym's 50 pound bell and do Snatches between sets of Oh Press. Everything moved well for the day. Did a very safe AMRAP on the 5th set and got 6 reps without too much hassle. Starting to find the "groove" with Pressing again. Did some longer paused front squats to finish up the session. Got these done rather quick. Solid day all around!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom