all posts post new thread

Jared's Swing This, Lift That Log!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jared_G_85

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello everyone!! My names is Jared and I am 31 years old and live in South Carolina, United States. I have been married for almost 7 years and am the proud father of 2 boys (4 year old and a 2 month old). Started trying to get "fit" in 2011 since I weighed nearly 300 pounds and needed a lifestyle change. At one point in 2012 I had dropped all the way down to 190 from lots of running, developing better eating habits and doing some circuits at home with a pair of PowerBlock Adjustable Dumbbells. I could run for days but could barely lift all the groceries in one trip so I joined a commercial gym in late 2012 and have been hooked on strength training since then. Life really changed in 2014 when I discovered Kettlebells for the first time and was a great "addiction" to go along with my barbell work. I have kept a log on T-Nation since 2014 but there is only a handful of people who are really into kettlebell lifting. Starting a log here so I can get feedback and see what other like minded folks are doing!

Current Stats
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 230 pounds

Best Barbell Lifts (Date Accomplished)
High Bar Back Squat: 400 pounds (3-13-17)
Front Squat: 325 pounds (10-31-16)
Bench Press: 320 pounds (Paused) (12-23-16)
Power Clean & Strict Overhead Press: 225 pounds (12-20-16)
Deadlift: 550 pounds (11-1-16)

Kettlebell Highlights for me
I Own: 1-35, 2-55's, 1-80, 1-106 (Beast) (just purchased last week!!)
Kettlebell Snatches: 80# KB for 5x10 with each arm (100 total reps)
100 rep Snatch Test: 55# KB in 4:41
Turkish Get Up: 80# KB for 5x1 each arm
1 Arm Clean & Strict Press: 106# KB a.k.a The Beast

Since the birth of my second child in late March, I've been focusing more attention on my Kettlebell lifts and letting Barbell lifts be more secondary. Since I could get back into the gym, I have been running Juggernaut Method 2.0 2 day a week set up to go along with 2 - Simple & Sinister sessions a week. Here's my setup currently......

Monday: Gym Day - Squat / Bench
Tuesday: Simple & Sinister (Usually in my office at work with a 55# KB)
Wednesday: Off (mobility)
Thursday: Gym Day - Oh Press / Deadlit
Friday: Simple & Sinister (At Home)
Saturday: KB Clean & Jerk Ladders
Sunday: Off (mobility or Turkish Get Up practice)

This has gotten pretty long and I'm sure there is a lot more I could add but will end it here. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and get some solid advice. I will list my goals for barbells and kettlebells in a later post!!

Here was my lifting session from yesterday....

5/22/17

Juggernaut Method (2 day per week setup)
8's Wave Accumulation
Squat Day and Oh Press Day
(Combined due to some scheduling issues this week)

S&S Warm Up

Squats: 255 - 4x8, 1x11
Oh Press: (Inverted Juggernaut Method) 140 - 7x5, 1x10

Notes: Felt pretty tight on this day but things moved pretty well. I had done 1 Arm Clean & Jerk Ladders on Saturday with The Beast for 3 Ladders of 1,2,3 and Get Up practice on Sunday with the 80. Was definitely feeling the effects from those 2 sessions yesterday!

Welcome! Looks like you're doing really, really well already. Looking forward to reading your log.

5/23/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm up

55# Kettlebell for each movement
1 Arm KB Snatches: 5x10 each (4:49)
- 1 minute break -
Turkish Get Ups: 8x1 each (9:49)

Notes: Found out I have just enough ceiling height to do Snatches in a certain spot in my tiny office here at work. Snatches weren't feeling too great but as long as I can keep the 100 total reps below 5 minutes I won't complain too much. I kept going after 5 TGUs each side since I think it only took me between 5-6 minutes to get through those. Pretty happy with 16 TGUs and 100 Snatches in a 15 minute time frame. With that said, I laid in the floor for a few minutes after completing this session!

I have had my 48 kg /106 lb Kettlebell for a week now and have gotten through a couple of really solid workouts with The Beast. So far I can Clean & Press this bell as well as perform Ladders with Clean & Jerks (3 x 1,2,3). Here is a list of goals I'm hoping to achieve with this bell that I'm sure will keep me busy for a long time.

Perform a Turkish Get Up with each arm using solid technique
Clean & Press for Ladders (3 x 1,2,3 to start and build to 5 x 1,2,3,4,5)
Accomplish the Sinister Goal from Simple and Sinister
Perform Snatches for reps and ultimately 5x10 with each arm

I feel if I accomplish these goals in the long run I will be very satisfied with my kettlebell training and will re-adjust when/ if that time comes. As far as Barbell goals, I haven't really set anything in stone yet (see below) but increasing my general strength has done wonders for increasing kettlebell strength. I guess strong is strong no matter what you are lifting as long as the technique is sound.

At one point a couple of years ago I had seriously considered signing up for a KB Sport Competition (Long Cycle) but I caught a terrible stomach flu that just completely derailed my training and enthusiasm for a period of time that I sort of lost the motivation to train for such a brutal event. Losing 20 pounds in 4 days just pretty much took the wind out of my sail. Accomplishing the above with the 48 kg bell may inspire me to think about signing up again.

If I had to put a number on Barbell goals I would say a 450 High Bar Squat, 600 Deadlift, 250 Clean & Strict Press and maybe a 350 Bench Press would be something I will shoot for in the future. I am not a huge fan of the Bench Press and don't put as much value into it as a lot of other folks. The Oh Press to me is a better show of upper body strength in my opinion and I'm sure a lot of you guys here feel the same way.

Hi Jared, great log and looks like you have a lot to share.

I just signed up for the SFL certification in Charleston, South Carolina. Here is the link, in case you are interested:
Charleston, SC – October 13-15, 2017

Sounds like you have plenty of knowledge but it is an opportunity to learn from the very best, and StrongFirst certs are so much fun.

Hi Jared, great log and looks like you have a lot to share.

I just signed up for the SFL certification in Charleston, South Carolina. Here is the link, in case you are interested:
Charleston, SC – October 13-15, 2017

Sounds like you have plenty of knowledge but it is an opportunity to learn from the very best, and StrongFirst certs are so much fun.

Thanks @Anna C

I would love the opportunity to take the SFL certification course!! I didn't realize the courses came to SC which is really exciting. My wife being a school teacher and with 2 little guys in the house our schedules stay pretty hectic. Who knows, maybe I can convince her for a nice romantic get a away and I can make it!! Will certainly keep my eye on this.

5/24/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm up

2 Hand KB Swings: 106 - 10x10 (EMOM for 10 minutes)
Turkish Get Ups: 80 - 5x1 each (unofficial time of ~10 minutes)

Notes: Was hoping to get into the gym today for some Deadlifts and light Squats but that didn't quite pan out (as expected) but was able to sneak in a Simple & Sinister session at home. Decided on 2 Hand Swings with the 106 and went with EMOM for 10 reps. This got pretty tough on the last couple of rounds. Took a short break to kind of practice the groove of going from floor elbow on TGUs (weak point for me). I didn't put the actual timer on my phone but I "unofficially" got his done in 10 minutes. I noticed when I started my first TGU the clock on the TV said 12:53, when I parked the bell after my final TGU it read 1:03. Definitely a confidence boost in that regard.

Side Note: Most gym / barbell days I go to the gym that is about 5 minutes from where I work on my lunch break through the week. Today I had to go home and help my wife with a couple of things. She is on her final week of maternity leave so as she was getting some school stuff situated I was tending to our youngest son. She finished up quicker than expected so I took advantage of the little time I had left before going back to work.

Will certainly keep my eye on this.

The early bird discounts are significant! It's currently $400 off the full price, at some point (don't know when but Doc Hartle could probably tell you) it will go to $200 off, and then to full price as the date approaches. So, planning ahead pays off, if it looks like a possibility.

5/26/17

S&S Warm Up

KB Clean & Jerks: 106 - 4 Ladders of 1,2,3
2 Hand KB Swings: 106 - 2x15, 1x20
TGU: 80 - 3x1 each

Notes: Pretty solid day all around. At one point during the C&Js there was a fine line between a Jerk and a Push Press. Need to stay focused when fatigue starts to set in. Went medium volume for swings and get ups since I am planning another S&S session for tomorrow.

5/27/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Swings: 80 - 5x10 each (4:40)
- 1 minute break -
TGU: 80 - 5x1 each (7:39)

Notes: Achieved what I have to call my version of "Simple" today. I don't own a 32kg / 70lb bell so my jumps go 55, 80, and 106. I knew from the Prying Goblet Squats in the warm up this was going to be a good day. Played the swings pretty conservative to save energy for the TGUs. Didn't really rest at all during TGUs except for the final rep with my right. Took about a 30 seconds rest just to make sure I didn't get too excited or carried away. Next up: THE BEAST / SINISTER!!

5/29/17 Happy Memorial Day

Simple and Sinister

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Swings: 106 (48 kg) - 5x10 each
TGU: 80 (36.4 kg) - 5x1 each
Ab Wheel: 2x5

Notes: First time swinging The Beast with one arm this morning. Moved well but definitely makes me pay a lot more attention to my Swing form. Took my time on TGUs and slowed down the movement. Certainly a good practice S&S session in preparation for sprinkling in some TGUs with The Beast. Did a couple of easy sets of 5 on the Ab Wheel just because it looked lonely!

Good stuff in here!:) Makes me want to incorporate some barbell work with S&S too. Inspirational.

Thanks for the kind words @masa

I really think the barbell work contributed a lot to achieving my goal with S&S as well as practicing TGUs every chance I could. Personally I feel like Squats and Overhead Presses had really good strength carry over to learning the technical parts of TGUs. The Swing portion was pretty much always there but TGUs required a lot of practice and patience.... and then a little more patience..... with some more practice!!!

5/30/17

Juggernaut Method (2 day per week setup)
8's Wave Accumulation
Bench Press Day (Inverted Juggernaut Method)

S&S Warm Up

1A) Paused Bench Press: 215 - 7x3, 1x10 (touch and go)
1B) Pull Ups: Bodyweight - 8x5
2) Squats: 315 - 3x3
3) Ab Wheel: 2x5

Notes: Pretty solid session today. Squat rack was taken so had to go ahead and bench first. Decided to switch to Inverted Juggernaut so that way I could get more practice on my Bench Press. Better to have a total of 8 sets instead of 3 when setting up for Bench has been a problem for me lately. Also I could keep the reps pretty low on Pull Ups and still accumulate volume. I think I'm actually stronger on Bench Press when I pause as opposed to touch and go. I feel like I can stay in a better groove. Did the 8th set at a safe 10 reps touch and go. Feel like there is no need to pause when going above 5 reps. Squats moved well especially after all of the Bench / Pull Up sets. Originally planned 330 for 3x3 but having to shift things around I figured 315 would fit the bill. A couple of sets of 5 on the Ab Wheel to finish up because I felt like the gym's Ab Wheel looked lonely!!

Been dealing with a stomach bug since Wednesday afternoon. Been pretty rough but I hope I'm coming toward the end of this thing soon enough. Putting training on the shelf until I can get this thing gone for the most part. Hopefully Monday I can get back to a light S&S session before getting back to a barbell.

6/7/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Swings: 55 - 5x10 each
TGU: 55- 5x1 each

Notes: First time feeling like a human being since getting sick last week so I figured while I had some extra time at work I could sneak in a light S&S practice just to get my body moving. Took my time on each section and felt pretty good for the most part. Hopefully I can build off of this and get everything back to square one soon enough!

6/12/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Swings: 106 - 5x10 each
TGU: 80 - 5x1 each

Side Note: Turns out that stomach virus and colitis lasted all the way until Saturday. Got some antibiotics and lots of rest over the past several days so I was ready for a bit more strenuous S&S training session. Also spent Friday evening in the Emergency Room due to sever dehydration. Yeah I was drinking lots of water but the virus was taking out waaaaay more than I could put in.

Notes on Training: Originally planned to Swing and perform TGUs with the 80 but my brain really waned to get hold of the 106 so that's what I went with for the day. Pleased with the Swings even though grip was starting to give out on the last couple of sets. TGUs with the 80 were a bit sloppy but I think this was due to lack of practice. Pleased with energy levels throughout this session. Thought I would be gasping for air since I haven't moved much in the past week and a half.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom