all posts post new thread

Jared's Swing This, Lift That Log!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
8/7/17

S&S Warm Up

Front Squat: 265 - 10x2
Close Grip Bench Press: 225 - 3x5

Notes: Front Squats moved okay, not great but no real issues other than just feeling a bit out of sorts for the day. Had to do a lot of running around town for work and personal errands. Gym was pretty crowded again for such an off time but I found a bench and got my CG Bench work done. Was hoping to super-set some DB Rows with CG Bench but area was too crowded to do a lot of back and forth so just kind of stayed put for the most part. Got in and got out!

8/9/17

Warm Up (Goblet Squats for 3x5)

Oh Press: 175 - 5x3
Deadlift: 335x3, 385x3, 430x10 (PR)

Notes: Oh Press moved well and nothing really to write about other than the lift bringing out my quad soreness even more from Monday's session. Deadlifts were feeling great again. 430 for 10 reps is a new PR at that weight. Previous best was 8 from last year. Add a glute and hamstring pump to my quad soreness I felt a bit wobbly walking out of the gym. Didn't see a need for much assistance work after this session and a new PR is a good note to end the day!

Congrats on the PR! Impressive numbers. No need for any extra work after a session like that indeed.

Thanks man!!

It's been fun setting rep PRs on the Deadlift again and not worrying so much about Max Effort numbers at the moment. Yeah I pulled 550 not too long ago but I'm honest with myself and know I'm not ready to PR past that at the moment. At least now I can shoot for some rep PRs and get a bit more enthusiastic with the lift again!

If anything I was going to maybe do some Ab Wheel at the end but it wasn't in it's usual place and I didn't feel like going on a search for it.

8/10/17

S&S Warm Up

Back Squats: 225 - 3x8
Close Grip Bench Press: 245 - 5x3 (PR by Default)
Hammer Strength Machine Row: 2 Plates each side - 3x10
Ab Wheel: 3x10

Notes: Tonic Back Squats, Heavy Close Grip Bench Press and some light assistance just to fill in the gaps from the week. I originally planned to work up to a heavy triple on CG Bench today so I could get a Training Max but 245 moved easy enough and figured I would stay there and hit triples. First time ever CG Benching 245 but I expected the weight to move pretty well since I have a decent Oh Press and at one point a decent Bench Press! Solid session!!

8/12/17

Simple & Sinister (sort of)

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm KB Snatch: 55 - 5x10 each (4:47)
TGU: 80 - 5x1 each

Notes: Still keeping 100 total Snatches (55 pound bell) around the 4:45 mark which has been my norm without pushing the pace too hard. At some point want to get the 100 under 4:30. Very happy to get back to TGUs with the 80 today. Moved well, technique was decent and didn't have any wrist pain. Hopefully now I can start climbing towards doing a TGU with The Beast at some point!

8/14/17

S&S Warm Up

Front Squat: 295x1, 330x1 (5 pound PR)
Pause Front Squat: 235 - 5x3

Notes; Wasn't feeling great today since I got ZERO sleep last night due to my youngest son (4 months old) being ill with an ear infection. Wanted to PR in some capacity with Front Squat and that meant I either needed to do 295 for 2+ reps or go for a 5 pound PR and hit 330. 295 moved like a feather and figured I might as well go for 330 and that moved very smooth as well. Definitely more in the tank and probably could have pushed this to 340 or more but even small PR's are still PR's in my book. Just some paused work at the end for "volume!" Haha! Wasn't looking for anything big but happy to leave the over-crowded gym with a +5lb PR!

8/15/17

S&S Warm Up

Oh Press: 215x1, 155x10
Deadlift: 365x5, 405x3, 455x7 (PR)

Notes: Instead of hitting 195 for 5 singles on Oh Press I decided to work up to 215 for a single and then hit a back down set to move things along a bit quicker for the day. 215 moved pretty well considering how I let the bar get too far in front of me at the start. Had to work to get that bar back in line. Hit a quick down set for 10 reps with 155 just to get some extra work before moving on to Deadlifts. 455 for 7 reps is a new rep PR at that weight. Previous best was 6 reps that I've hit multiple times after looking back at my spreadsheet from last year and this year. I had an eighth rep in the tank but much like yesterday I took my PR and didn't get greedy. With 5/3/1 I will see this weight again pretty soon and may get that 8th rep then. Another solid day!!

Side Note: Looking at my schedule for the week, I will only be able to go to the gym tomorrow for possible barbell work which leaves me some options. One option is I can do my typical CG Bench and Squat session tomorrow and possibly take a deload next week. The only down-side to this is this would be 3 moderately heavy full body sessions in a row. I don't feel beat up at all but who knows what tomorrow could bring. Second option is to call this my last barbell session for the week and use the rest of this week as a deload from barbells and perform less intensive kettlebell work at home. Depending on what I choose I will be able to move up to 4 days a week for barbells starting either next week or the week after. I could probably lift tomorrow and still be plenty recovered to start my setup next week but I will have to check the family's schedule for Monday since the Solar Eclipse is happening in our area on that day.

8/16/17

S&S Warm Up

Pause Back Squat: 285 - 3x3
Close Grip Bench Press: 230 - 5x5
Hammer Strength Row Machine: 3x10 (2 Plates per side)
Ab Wheel: 3x10

Notes: Nothing special today. Upper body felt pretty good while my lower extremities were feeling the Front Squats and Deadlift sessions from the previous days. The intention for Squats was to pretty much do some light'ish volume work much like last week but I found myself wanting to pause my reps so I just kind of went with it for the day. 285 is at the bottom tier of a weight that I have to give my full attention to when doing Pause Squats. With that in mind I went with 5x5 for CG Bench instead of heavy singles, Rows to get some back work and Ab Wheel to finish since I did zero ab work for the week. Rest day tomorrow and maybe some kettlebells or weight vest walk on Friday and/or Saturday.

Congrats on your PRs @Jared_G_85! You are really strong!

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words!!

Right now I'm pleased to be pretty close to where my strength was before my second child was born in middle of March. Getting sick for 3 weeks in June sort of set me back as well but those things happen. Hopefully all of us around here have a healthy second half of the year without any setbacks and we all knock out some new PRs before 2018 gets here!

8/18/17

Simple and Sinister

S&S Warm Up

2 Hand Swings: 106 - 10x10
TGU: 80 - 5x1 each
Bonus TGU: 106 - 1x1 each (PR!) (Yay!)

Notes: Went with 2 hand swings with 106 for today but will soon move these back to 1 arm swings probably next week or the week after. TGUs with the 80 were moving "okay" but my technique was spot on the last sets with each arm. This gave me the confidence to give myself a "Bonus" PR set and go for The Beast. I did the first rep with my right arm since that's my strong arm. Moved slow and steady but technique held up each step of the way. Being the idiot I am I figured, eh let's see how far I can get with my left. Well that moved just as smooth! Definitely miles away from Sinister but at least I got over the mental and physical barrier of a TGU with The Beast! Very good session!

Notes: Went with 2 hand swings with 106 for today but will soon move these back to 1 arm swings probably next week or the week after. TGUs with the 80 were moving "okay" but my technique was spot on the last sets with each arm. This gave me the confidence to give myself a "Bonus" PR set and go for The Beast. I did the first rep with my right arm since that's my strong arm. Moved slow and steady but technique held up each step of the way. Being the idiot I am I figured, eh let's see how far I can get with my left. Well that moved just as smooth! Definitely miles away from Sinister but at least I got over the mental and physical barrier of a TGU with The Beast! Very good session!
That is so cool to read....great job!

That is so cool to read....great job!

Thanks @Strong Rick

It was definitely one of the most random PRs I think I have ever had in my 4-5 year span of lifting. I didn't have any plans on trying this at all for several weeks. Once I finished Swings, I actually put the bell way back into the corner of my living room since I knew I wouldn't be using it again for the day. I honestly couldn't even tell you why I attempted this but sometimes a little spontaneity can be a good thing!!

Congrats! You are one strong man.

Thanks @Antti for all of your encouragement!

It's been a really good 3 week training cycle for barbells and kettlebells. Seeing what you are doing in the back squat is definitely motivation to get my back squat in gear once I run the front squat for all it's worth. Keep killing it on your end!!

8/19/17

Simple and Sinister

S&S Warm Up

2 Hand Swings: 80 - 1x75 (maybe PR?)
TGU: 106 - 5x1 each (definite PR!!)

Notes: Went with 1 all out set of swings with the 80. I believe 75 reps is a PR but will have to check on that. My grip was starting to give out at around 65. At that point my pinky was completely off the bell. My 80 has a thicker and slicker handle than any of my other bells which presents its own fun little challenges. Want to get this to 100 straight eventually.

TGUs and Simple and Sinister are a funny duck! Hard to believe yesterday was the first time I did a full TGU with The Beast with each arm and today I did it for 5 reps with each arm! The funny part about this is I ended up doing 10.5 total TGUs with the big boy! On my final set with my left arm I stood up with the weight but the bell sort of shifted in my hand and put my wrist in an awkward position (not painful) so I brought it back down to the rack position, parked the bell, shook the tension out and started again and had zero issues. Strangely enough I noticed today I do much better if I start my TGUs with my right arm as opposed to the left. Seems like I can repeat the process better with my left arm if the right goes first.

Anyway, long write up but I'm super excited about my session today. Looking forward to putting the 1 Arm Swings and TGUs with the 106 together in a session. Doing the 10 total TGUs with that weight today definitely puts in perspective how tough achieving Sinister is and how big of an accomplishment that really is. Patient Practice!!

8/21/17

S&S Warm Up

Front Squat: 245 - 8x3
Stiff Leg Deadlift: 225 - 3x8

Notes: Quick early morning session since it's Eclipse Day here in my town. We are in the path of totality so it should be really cool. Definitely a Punch the Clock session!

8/19/17

Simple and Sinister

S&S Warm Up

2 Hand Swings: 80 - 1x75 (maybe PR?)
TGU: 106 - 5x1 each (definite PR!!)

Notes: Went with 1 all out set of swings with the 80. I believe 75 reps is a PR but will have to check on that. My grip was starting to give out at around 65. At that point my pinky was completely off the bell. My 80 has a thicker and slicker handle than any of my other bells which presents its own fun little challenges. Want to get this to 100 straight eventually.

TGUs and Simple and Sinister are a funny duck! Hard to believe yesterday was the first time I did a full TGU with The Beast with each arm and today I did it for 5 reps with each arm! The funny part about this is I ended up doing 10.5 total TGUs with the big boy! On my final set with my left arm I stood up with the weight but the bell sort of shifted in my hand and put my wrist in an awkward position (not painful) so I brought it back down to the rack position, parked the bell, shook the tension out and started again and had zero issues. Strangely enough I noticed today I do much better if I start my TGUs with my right arm as opposed to the left. Seems like I can repeat the process better with my left arm if the right goes first.

Anyway, long write up but I'm super excited about my session today. Looking forward to putting the 1 Arm Swings and TGUs with the 106 together in a session. Doing the 10 total TGUs with that weight today definitely puts in perspective how tough achieving Sinister is and how big of an accomplishment that really is. Patient Practice!!
So freaking cool!
Nice work on those get -ups!

So freaking cool!
Nice work on those get -ups!

Thanks @Strong Rick

I was pleasantly surprised to finally get 5 TGUs with each arm on Saturday with The Beast. With that said I am still pretty sore from those and it was 3 days ago. Might have been a little too much too soon but sometimes you just have to take advantage of the good days!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom