all posts post new thread

Jared's Swing This, Lift That Log!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
8/22/17

S&S Warm Up

1A) Overhead Press: 160 - 5x5
1B) Pull Ups: b/w - 5x8
2A) Close Grip Bench Press: 190 - 3x8
2B) Split Squats: b/w - 3x10 (each leg)

Notes: Today's lifting moved very well. Oh Presses were in a decent groove and the sets of 8 rep Pull Ups between sets felt decent as well. Debated on going weighted pull ups but haven't done Pull Ups in several weeks so want to build some volume before adding weight again. CG Bench was nothing special and added sets of 10 rep Split Squats between sets just to stretch my legs out a bit and get some blood flowing.

Side Note: As I mentioned above I'm not 100 percent sure I am fully recovered from Saturday's heavy TGUs with the 106. Add the quad and hamstring soreness from yesterday and you could say I feel about like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz with no oil can! S&S Warm Up helped a bit so we can call that the oil can for the day! Also I've been fighting lack of sleep for the past few days with my now 5 month old son fighting ANOTHER ear infection, 5 year old son starting kindegarten and my wife starting her 11th year of teaching!! May have to Deadlift tomorrow or not have a dedicated CG Bench day. I'm considering combining Deadlift and CG Bench on Thursday and hopefully have time to hit some light Squats during that time. Will probably need the rest day tomorrow. Busy week!!

8/24/17

S&S Warm Up

Deadlift: 320x5, 365x5, 415-2x5
Back Squats: 225 - 3x8
Leg Raise: 3x15

Notes: Deadlifts were flying but wasn't really "feeling" a rep PR set today. Just applied a "Rule of 10" on the top set and moved on to the next thing. Went with light Back Squats just to keep the groove for when the time comes I switch back to these and finished up with some ab work. Overall a decent day.

Looking like I may not get my CG Bench session in this week unless something later in the afternoon opens up tomorrow. This isn't a deal breaker since I did some light work on Tuesday after Oh Press. I could do this on Saturday but I like doing S&S that day while my kiddos are asleep. Plus I'm hoping the TGUs from last Saturday weren't a fluke!

I like your style. Sound approach to training, but do you jump straight to your working weight?

Strong stuff.

Last edited:
I like your style. Sound approach to training, but do you jump straight to your working weight?

Strong stuff.

Thanks @Geoff Chafe

My style of training is taking some of the things Jim Wendler (mostly 531 programming), Dan John and Pavel have written about in their books and try to apply them in my training where I can. Luckily their "Principles" when it comes to training are almost identical so it's easy to apply the things they write about into my routine. I've gotten a bit lazy with Loaded Carries lately so I'm sure Mr. John wouldn't approve right now! In my head I try to justify the TGU as my "Loaded Carry" but it definitely isn't the same in my book. There is a Trap Bar at the YMCA where I lift on occasion and I have been really wanting to load that up and hit Farmers Walks.

I definitely do not jump to my work weight with any exercise. I've learned over the past year or so that the warm up sets for me are the most important. This is where I take the time to "think" my way through the lift as far as setup is concerned. This way when it's work set time I don't have to think as much. I usually only log my working sets but I may start posting warm up sets from here on out.

Typically for Squats (Front or Back) I will do sets of 5 with the bar, then 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, from here it's usually 20-30 pound jumps depending on what my work sets are for the day. Deadlift it's usually 135, 225, 315 from here I will take 50 pound jumps. Oh Press is usally bar, 95, 135 and then it's 20 pound jumps from here wherever I need to get to. Bench Press is about the same as Squats. Even with Kettlebells I will still do a few warm up sets. The only time I didn't use warm up sets for the TGU was when I achieved "Simple" with my 80 pound bell. I knew with that 1 minute rest between Swings and Get Ups that was going to run off pretty fast so needed all the rest I could get. If I'm going to Swing or TGU with the 106 I will do a few reps with the 55, then the 80 and start my sets with the 106.

Thanks for checking in man!

8/25/17

1) Close Grip Bench Press: 245x5 (PR)
2A) CGBP: 195 - 3x8
2B) DB Row: 80 - 3x10
3) Paused Front Squat: 225 - 5x3

Notes: Decided to take my Traing Max for CGBP for 5 reps to make sure it was set correctly. 5 reps moved pretty well with maybe 1-2 reps left in the tank which equates to a rep PR for CG Bench. Super set volume work with DB Rows that went well. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after this so I sort of panicked and went with Paused Front Squats. If anything it stretched my legs out a bit! Overall a very solid day!

8/26/17

Simple & Sinister

S&S Warm Up

1 Arm Swing: 106 - 5x10 each
TGU: 106 - 4x1 (R), 3.5x1 (L) Injury :(

Notes: So this was my first and possible last session going for Sinister for a while! Swings were moving great. Very happy with how these were moving and the projection of the bell stayed consistent for all sets/reps!

TGUs were also moving great! I was on the 4th rep/set with my left arm and had a bit of a booboo! I made it to the Lunge position on the Get Up and had trouble standing up with the weight. I finally stood up, stabilized myself and proceeded to start the Get Down. I got to the Lunge position and as I was on my way down from the Lunge my left shoulder started to give randomly. Trying to not crush my face, or go the other way and mess up my rotator cuff I was trying to park it on my right side. Apparently I lost track of exactly where my right arm was and ended up slamming The Beast on my right forearm! It hurt but it actually made me a bit nauseous! Got an ice pack and iced it just to make sure it didn't swell. My wife looked at it and my right forearm was crooked so she called my Mom who has been a nurse for 40 years to come over and take a look at it. I didn't think it was broken but my mom and wife were convinced it was broken. My wife stayed home with the kids and my Mom took me to the Clinic for X Rays and check up. Thankfully my arm isn't broken and it was just soft tissue damage. Probably on the shelf for about a week but this was a major disaster avoided!

With that said, it was a great session!! Ha!

Sad to hear about your injury. Lucky it wasn't more serious. Hope you heal quickly!

Sad to hear about your injury. Lucky it wasn't more serious. Hope you heal quickly!

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Yeah I was VERY blessed it didn't end up as bad as it did! I will probably be able to get back to barbells at some point next week depending on how quick my arm heals. My arm today looks and feels pretty good even though the size of the bruise makes it seem like my arm is bent and broken! Thank goodness for hefty forearms!

8/28/17

1A) Left Arm KB Clean & Press: 55 - 5x10
1B) Split Squats: b/w - 5x10 (each leg)
2A) Left Arm KB Snatch: 55 - 5x10
2B) More Split Squats: b/w - 5x10 (each leg)

Notes: Just because I have a "BOOBOO" on my right arm doesn't mean I can't still get some decent work with the left! After all of the Split Squats my quads had a major pump and felt like a newborn deer trying to walk for the first time. Went home on my lunch break to get this done. Right arm is looking and feeling pretty good today. Still hoping to touch a barbell at some point next week. This week I will consider it a bit of a "deload" and do what I can.

You have the right attitude! Having one arm out of the game is no reason to not train the other one. And if you're right handed, this is a good time to work out the imbalance between the strong and the stronger arm. There's also been some studies that training the healthy arm while the other one is injured helps heal the injury faster. So what you're doing is a win in any possible case.

You have the right attitude! Having one arm out of the game is no reason to not train the other one. And if you're right handed, this is a good time to work out the imbalance between the strong and the stronger arm. There's also been some studies that training the healthy arm while the other one is injured helps heal the injury faster. So what you're doing is a win in any possible case.

Thanks man!! I always try to keep moving forward the best I can. I'm just grateful I can move around without really having to worry about aggravating my right forearm. Like you said, I'm definitely right handed so I can use this spare time to get some decent work with my left. I've always been coordinated with my left arm (thank you years of basketball) but my right arm is definitely stronger. The only thing I can say that is a bit of a bummer about this is I probably did my last "meaningful" TGU Saturday but this isn't the end of the world. I may at some point in a separate post do a reflection on my experience with the TGU but for where I'm at in my life and even my training, the TGU risks outweigh the rewards!

9/1/17

Back Squats: 225 - 6 x (2,3,5)
Back Extensions: b/w: 3x15

Notes: Can't Front Squat due to my right arm but at least I can back squat. Went with light weight but high volume and just moving as fast as I could. Ended up with six ladders since I can't count the "x" marks I put on my phone. Felt like speed work every Ladder and every rep!

Last edited:
The only thing I can say that is a bit of a bummer about this is I probably did my last "meaningful" TGU Saturday but this isn't the end of the world. I may at some point in a separate post do a reflection on my experience with the TGU but for where I'm at in my life and even my training, the TGU risks outweigh the rewards!

Risks of the Get Ups? I just started doing Get Ups again. I have never had issues and I have gone pretty heavy with KB, DB, and BB. I have failed reps, but only in the roll to elbow, my weakest point.

Risks of the Get Ups? I just started doing Get Ups again. I have never had issues and I have gone pretty heavy with KB, DB, and BB. I have failed reps, but only in the roll to elbow, my weakest point.

I was in the reverse Get Up stage and I was transitioning from lunge position to elbow when my left shoulder gave out and for a brief moment lost track of where my right arm was. I thought I was clear to put the bell on the floor to my right but where I put it was where my right arm was also sitting. In reality I should have ended the rep after I stood up because I somehow had my back foot in a strange position during the Lunge and spent too much time there trying to readjust and so I could stand up. I have failed reps before myself but this was just one of those odd moments where I didn't have decent body awareness maybe?!?

Definitely don't think the TGU is risky but in the context of my current training setup I think I placed it in a risky spot. Performing heavy TGUs the day after moderate volume/intensity CG Bench and Rows isn't the smartest place to put tbem. The TGU isn't what injured me, it was me doing a TGU! Ha!! It will become more of a corrective for a while with volume and light weight once my arm heals and not so much a strength movement.

9/5/17

10 Rounds of the following:
10 x Push Ups
10 x Split Squat (L)
10 x Split Squat (R)
10 x Left Arm KB Swing (55# bell)

Then.....

80 pound weight vest "TGUs" - 5x1 (each)

Notes: Both kids are at home sick today and it's easier for me to miss work than my wife who is a teacher. While they were napping I figured I could hit a bodyweight circuit with some swings thrown in the mix. Still uncomfortable to grip with my right arm so I just went with the left.

Tried some Get Ups with my weight vest on to see how it felt. I held my arm up as is I had a weight just to make it feel like a normal TGU. Feels different since the weight is directly on my body and not on my shoulder. Doesn't work the shoulder as much but it still makes for a good movement for the rest of the body. This could be something I end up doing for a lot of reps since I taken the shoulder stability part out of the movement. Or set a timer for 20 minutes and just keep getting up and down off the floor with the TGU progression. Lots of possibilities!

The weight vest TGU sounds like a good idea. I've taken to liking doing the get-ups without weight but with a balance component, like the shoe, or if you're more extreme, the cup of water. The vest would do well with my variation as well. Luckily I've managed to store some extra weight on my body itself so I don't have to get any extra equipment! It works like a charm for rucking as well.

The weight vest TGU sounds like a good idea. I've taken to liking doing the get-ups without weight but with a balance component, like the shoe, or if you're more extreme, the cup of water. The vest would do well with my variation as well. Luckily I've managed to store some extra weight on my body itself so I don't have to get any extra equipment! It works like a charm for rucking as well.

I feel pretty good about doing TGUs with the weight vest on instead of KBs for a while. This would allow me to definitely make it a conditioning movement and not so much a strength movement. At some point I may even see about keeping the vest on and doing a TGU while holding a 35 or 55 pound bell just to add some extra weight. That would be 115 to 135 pounds added to my body while trying to get off the floor but that's so far down the road it's not something I'm overly concerned with at the moment. The only issue there is the straps that go around my shoulders are pretty wide so not sure how that would affect holding a KB locked out and in the proper position.

Definitely not extreme enough to do a TGU with a cup of water! The balancing of the shoes is something I have found way more beneficial than even the 5 second pauses at each stage. I've tried in the past to do the 5 second pauses with a light bell and honestly this was a bit too boring and felt like I was just teaching my body to move at a snails pace as opposed to a slow pace. I'm naturally a slow moving person by most standards so teaching myself to move even slower probably isn't the best idea.

Did a quick little test in my office with my 55 pound kettlebell just to see what was painful and not painful in terms of lifting.

Right now it's looking like I should be able to definitely Back Squat, probably Bench Press and Oh Press without too much irritation in my right forearm. I did a Clean & Press with my 55 pound bell and while the actual Pressing part felt great the Clean didn't feel as great. After I did a few 1 Arm Rows with the bell and that also didn't feel great either. It's looking like I should be able to Push and Squat without pain but any type of Pulling motion is where my arm gets aggravated in a not so happy way. So Deadlifts, Rows and Pull Ups might be put on the shelf until I can do these without discomfort. I don't mind an "ache" but no need to fight through "pain" when it isn't 100 percent necessary.

I'm hopeful to lift tomorrow and Friday with Squats tomorrow and probably Bench Press (CG or Regular) or Oh Press on Friday. I've always liked to Power Clean my first rep of Oh Press but this may not work either. Once I can get to a barbell I'm sure this will let me know right off the bat. I have a pretty good plan in my head using Ladders to setup a little "temporary" routine until I can Deadlift again.

This could be what I may try for a while but with a lot of auto-regulation for a few weeks until I can get back to 100 percent. Just going to put main lifts. Assistance work will be just whatever:

Day 1
Back Squats: 3-5 Ladders of (2,3,5)

Day 2
Bench Press: 3-5 Ladders of (2,3,5)

Day 3
Front Squat (if possible) or Back Squat: 3-5 Ladders of (1,2,3)

Day 4
Oh Press if (possible) or Bench Press: 3-5 Ladders of (1,2,3)

Conditioning / Cardio will just be on Saturdays or when I can fit it in the mix. Probably bodyweight work or stuff with the weight vest. This should keep me on auto pilot for a few weeks until I can deadlift again and move back into a 531 setup or if this is going well just keep going with the above but adding Deadlifts on Day 3. This could give me a good mix of volume and intensity with different rep ranges through the week. Also with the way schedules have worked and kids having appointments this should give me some flexibility if I have to miss several days of barbell work during the week.

In terms of lifting it's been a pretty inconsistent year. I knew having another child things would be a bit inconsistent but getting sick for pretty much a month and now this little injury has definitely made me have to back up and reassess once again! I normally don't hop around thoughts and setups this often but you do what you have to do!!

I have found after having kids you have to get in what you can, when you can. I would never start past 6:30pm, but I often go after things settle down, 8pm, 9pm, whatever. My wife understands and 3 days a week is a good compromise for us. I set a 90min max time for myself, but try to keep it at 60min.

Not having the recovery time is the biggest challenge for me. I don't have time to eat, Stretch, SMR, light band and stick work, etc like I used to. My flexibility and functionality is definitely slipping.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom