all posts post new thread

Jared's Swing This, Lift That Log!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have found after having kids you have to get in what you can, when you can. I would never start past 6:30pm, but I often go after things settle down, 8pm, 9pm, whatever. My wife understands and 3 days a week is a good comprehensive for us. I set a 90min max time for myself, but try to keep it at 60min.

Not having the recovery time is the biggest challenge for me. I don't have time to eat, Stretch, SMR, light band and stick work, etc like I used to. My flexibility and functionality is definitely slipping.

EXACTLY!!!! I definitely understand EVERYTHING you just posted!

When my first child was born I would either go for a long run or do my dumbbell circuits as soon as I got home from work around 6:30. Once he started wanting to go to bed around 8:00 I knew I had to change something so I could spend more time with him. This was when I decided to join a gym about 5 minutes from where I work and lift on my lunch hour. I don't think I ever posted this but I change clothes, stretch and do the S&S Warm Up in my office with my 55 pound bell I keep under my desk. Once I finish the warm up, I drive to the gym. I usually have about 45 minutes total to lift which is why I don't get much assistance work done unless I do giant sets or super-sets. When I lift at the YMCA, it's about 10 minutes away so I have a bit less time when I decide to go there.

Now that I have my second child who has been battling allergies and ear infections since June, it's made me really re-structure things across the board when it comes to lifting / fitness. I used to load up the car and head to a track at a school near our house with a med ball, kb's and do lots of carries, throws and sprints on Saturdays before #2 was born. When he and my oldest nap on Saturdays, this is when I know I have 30 minutes to an hour to do S&S or go for a vest walk. I think the reason the bell crashed on my arm a week and a half ago was I knew I was starting to run out of time and tried to rush and get the last couple of reps with each arm on TGUs to complete my session. STUPID ME!

You certainly have to make fitness fit around your little ones and not make your little ones fit around your fitness schedule! I certainly want to be strong and athletic but not at the expense of missing time with my children!

YOU KNOW HOW IT IS!! HA!

I used to often go to a Strongman Gym on Saturdays for event training and/or Grip Sport.

That is what I miss the most about my old life. I'd spend half the day at the gym with a good group of guys laughing, eating, and even some lifting. I miss the team atmosphere.

There is a nice garage gym near my work, on my way home. I wanted to join up to get out of my basement for a change. No go. What if I am needed at home. I can't work all day and train after work, then expect it to go over well when I get home late.

I used to often go to a Strongman Gym on Saturdays for event training and/or Grip Sport.

That is what I miss the most about my old life. I'd spend half the day at the gym with a good group of guys laughing, eating, and even some lifting. I miss the team atmosphere.

There is a nice garage gym near my work, on my way home. I wanted to join up to get out of my basement for a change. No go. What if I am needed at home. I can't work all day and train after work, then expect it to go over well when I get home late.

Man that sounds awesome!! I've always wanted to join a Strongman gym but the closest one is like 2 hours away. I've never really had a consistent workout partner except my brother who would only come with me on Bench Press Days. There is a group of guys at Golds Gym close to my work that we will laugh and cut up between sets here and there but sometimes that cuts in to my lunch break workouts!

What if I am needed at home. I can't work all day and train after work, then expect it to go over well when I get home late.

This is pretty much why I put my Track Days on hold for a while! Seems like you and I have a very similar mindset when it comes to our family and lifting!

9/7/17

Back Squat: 315x5
More Back Squats: 235 - 5 x (2,3,5)

Notes: Plan was to work up to an easy set of 5 at 315 on Back Squats and use 235 for Volume / Ladder work. Always enjoy when things go to plan before I get to the gym! Something I really like about these Ladders is it gives me lots of reps just to perfect my setup before I even un-rack the bar as well as volume without having to do sets of 10. Very happy with bar speed on every squat today!!

There's only one thing that's better than back squats... more back squats!

Hahaha!!!!

Note going to lie, I'm really hoping I can either Bench Press or Oh Press tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise it is going to be Even More Back Squats!!

9/8/17

Bench Press: 225 - 5 x (2,3,5)
Machine Row: 1 Plate (each) 5 x 15
Back Extensions: b/w - 3x15

Notes: Thankfully I could Bench Press today because my legs are toast from yesterday. Knew going into today that 225 would be a bit heavy for 5 Ladders but pleased with how the reps moved. For the record, this felt like strength work to where Squats felt like speed work. Definitely can't bench what I can Squat!

No pain on the machine row but I went light weight for high reps. Sort of just propped my right arm on the handle but this definitely made me pull with my lats a lot more. Finished up with some back extensions that ended a pretty solid day overall!

9/9/17

80# Weight Vest Walk
1 hour (~3 miles)

Notes: Very nice morning for a long vest walk. Rarely do I like to go for a given time but today I wanted to get a good hour of walking done. Probably close to about 3.5 miles but not 100 percent sure since I walked up and down a steep hill several times over again to pass the time. My body really needed this considering how sore my legs and chest were this morning after a 2 days of high volume lifting.

9/14/17

Back Squat: 245 - 5 x (2,3,5)

Notes: Still riding this sort of linear progression with Ladders on Squats. Weights moved pretty well even though my technique felt a bit wobbly at the beginning. It's been a SUPER busy week and haven't done any stretching or other things that would benefit me in regards to lifting which caused a lot of tightness in my hips. Probably Oh Press or Bench Press tomorrow and then hopefully next week I can get in a better groove and stay a bit more consistent!

9/15/17

S&S Warm Up

1a) Oh Press: 155 - 5 x (2,3,5)
1b) Pull Ups: bw - 5 x (2,3,5)
2a) CG Bench Press: 185 - 8,8,7
2b) Split Squats: bw - 3x10 (each)
3a) Leg Raises: 3x15
3b) Split Squats: bw- 3x10 (each)

Notes: The Oh Press / Pull Up Ladder super-sets went really well. Went belt less for Oh Press for the day and kept the weight on the lighter side of the spectrum. CG Bench moved well but on the 3rd and final set my triceps were smoked and didn't chance an 8th rep. When in doubt I just super-set stuff with Split Squats! I get off work early on Fridays so I have some extra time to catch up on assistance work I missed through the week. Arm is definitely 100 percent so I'm hoping to get back to Deadlifts at some point next week.

9/16/17

2 mile run (20:43)

Notes: Went for a slow steady run around the neighborhood this morning. Had 3 stops during the run. 2 were for traffic so I could cross the street and 1 was I needed to tie my shoe laces again. First time going for a run in a year and a half. Happy to know as slow as I felt I was going I was still hovering around the 10 minute mile pace.

9/18/17

S&S Warm Up (super tight today)

Front Squat: 275 x 2

Notes: Felt very tired and nearly talked myself out of going to the gym today but managed to drag myself their anyway. 275 on Front Squats isn't a scary weight at all but it can definitely let me know how I'm feeling for the day. Today it showed I just wasn't feeling it. The weight moved okay but my hips and mind just weren't in it on this day. Wasn't really feeling much like doing anything else so I went back to work and ate spaghetti!

My family and I have stayed pretty busy the past several weeks so stretching, consuming enough calories and sleep haven't been where they need to be in order to move some decent weight and do it well. Will probably try and re-visit Squats (Front or Back) later in the week. Tomorrow will most likely either be Bench or Oh Press depending on my mood!

9/19/17

S&S Warm Up

1A) Bench Press: 230 - 3 x (2,3,5)
1B) Pull Ups: bw - 3 x (2,3,5)
2A) Ab Wheel: 3x10
2B) Split Squats: bw - 3x10

Notes: Still cruising with Ladders for most lifts right now. Decided on 3 Ladders instead of 5 so I could squeeze some Ab work in for the day. Definitely could get 5 Ladders with this weight but may save it for another time. I sort of like the idea of doing 3 Ladders as opposed to 5. This way I have some extra time to either perform another lift or do some small accessory work to fill out the rest of my time.

9/21/17

S&S Warm Up

Front Squat: 225 - 3 x (2,3,5)
Stiff Leg Deadlift: 225 - 3x8
Back Extensions: 25 pounds - 3x10

Notes: Moved pretty well today as did the weights. I had to go do some surveying for work this morning so I just kept everything pretty light and easy. Just getting some volume in by means of Ladders.

I didn't log this yesterday since I didn't deem it necessary but I did a lot of stretching, S&S Warm Up and then 5x1 TGUs each arm with my 55 pound bell in my office yesterday. The TGUs were done more as a corrective and to just get my body moving. All this seemed to really get my hips opened up and loose again. The TGU will definitely become a corrective / mobility movement now as opposed to a strength movement which is what I'm in need of at the moment!

9/22/17

S&S Warm Up

1a) Oh Press: 165 - 3 x (2,3,5)
1b) Pull Ups: bw - 3 x (2,3,5)
2a) CG Bench Press: 185 - 3x8
2b) Split Squats: bw - 3x10 each leg

Notes: On a time crunch this afternoon so had to stay moving in the gym the whole time since I had to take my 6 month old to the doctor for his check up. Not much to write about this session. Tomorrow I'm either going to get back to some light KB Snatches or go for a run. Weather and mood will dictate which I choose!

9/23/17

~3 mile run around neighborhood

Notes: Forgot to set my timer but decided on a bit longer trudge for the day. Lots of decent elevation changes that made some portions harder than others. The last 3/4 mile was a bit difficult since it started to get really hot and was out in the open with no shade and no wind!

9/25/17

S&S Warm Up

Back Squat: 255 - 3 x (2,3,5)
Trap Bar Deadlift: 315 - 3x8

Notes: Nothing overly special today other than my hips weren't near as tight as last week. This obviously made Squats feel a lot better. Tried messing around with the Trap Bar for a change of pace and volume. Haven't touched a Trap Bar in over 2 years but I've always found them a bit awkward since I feel a bit crowded when I'm starting the movement. At the moment I'm just kind of messing around with different variations since I haven't been much in the mood to really push heavy Deadlifts at the moment. Of course I haven't been much in the mood to really push anything at the moment. While I don't necessarily feel "strong" at the moment, I certainly feel a little more balanced now that I've added running back into the mix.

9/26/17

Lazy Lifter Warm Up + Band Pull Aparts

1A) Bench Press: 250 - 3 x (1,2,3)
1B) Pull Ups: bw - 10 x 5

Notes: Decided on some heavier Bench Press with lower reps for Ladders today. Strange enough the 1st round of Ladders weren't moving as well but the last 2 rounds moved very well. I'm sure my setup had a lot to do with it but pleased with how this went. I did sets of 5 Pull Ups between reps and threw in an extra set as I left the gym so I would have 50 total Pull Ups on the day. Can't leave the gym with 45! Caught up with some friends of mine at the gym that I haven't seen since my second child was born. This pretty much took up my "assistance movement" time but it's no big deal. Solid day!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom