all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Jefferson (Straddle) Deadlift

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
@Pavel Macek, is this movement part of your Resilient program, and/or do you have any way you teach it in terms of foot placement, hand placement, etc. I ask because I have been experimenting with these things and rather like the idea of my hips facing the plates at one end or the other, then rotating in my t-spine to perform the movement.

In other words, if the barbell is at 3 and 9 o'clock, my hips will face 3 o'clock but with my right hand in front I will rotate left in order to pick up the bar, so my chest is facing almost to 12 o'clock. If my left hand is in front, then I will rotate my chest to almost 6 o'clock.

Regardless of which side I start with, I always do both, and I am enjoying the challenge of remaining rotated in my t-spine at the top.

I suspect this is not the recommend position - a look online finds people with their feet in a squat-like stance, turned out, and more or less everything follows that.

Thank you.

-S-

@Pavel Macek, is this movement part of your Resilient program, and/or do you have any way you teach it in terms of foot placement, hand placement, etc. I ask because I have been experimenting with these things and rather like the idea of my hips facing the plates at one end or the other, then rotating in my t-spine to perform the movement.

In other words, if the barbell is at 3 and 9 o'clock, my hips will face 3 o'clock but with my right hand in front I will rotate left in order to pick up the bar, so my chest is facing almost to 12 o'clock. If my left hand is in front, then I will rotate my chest to almost 6 o'clock.

Regardless of which side I start with, I always do both, and I am enjoying the challenge of remaining rotated in my t-spine at the top.

I suspect this is not the recommend position - a look online finds people with their feet in a squat-like stance, turned out, and more or less everything follows that.

Thank you.

-S-

Steve, no, it is not part of StrongFirst RESILIENT. I have done some Jefferson Deadlifts in the past, but generally, my experience with this lift is quite limited.

Our dear friend, teacher, and StrongFirst CEO has great progressions and details for this lift (and other unconventional barbell lifts) - he is more qualified to answer your question, sir.

Also, please check out page 57 of Pavel's book Power to the People Professional - Pavel explains some subtleties of this lift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom