all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Jerrycan/fuel canister for Farmer Carries

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kettlebelephant

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey!
So this might sound like a dumb question too some of you :D
Has anyone ever used jerrycans for farmer carries?
How much weight can you put into a 20l/5gal jerrycan made of steel before it would brake?
I know this differs from product to product, but I want to get a general idea of the amounts that might be possible.

Last edited:
Hello,

@Kettlebelephant
Jerrycan ! Great idea ! :)

Steel ones can handle a lot.

sand density = 1,5kg /dm3
jerrycan = 20dm3 = 20L
mass of a jerrycan filled with sand = 20 * 1,5 = 30kg

Pretty sure you can go for it if the handle is made of steel.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thx for the math.
So I need to go for lead, because sand is too light. I was thinking in the range of 50-75Kg per jerrycan.
The question still remains whether a usual steel jerrycan can handle that kind of weight.

Hello,

@Kettlebelephant
Cement density is about 2900kg/m3.
1m3 = 1000dm3
So for 20dm3 (the jerrycan), you get:
(2900*20)/1000 = 58kg

An idea which comes to my atrophied mind is to fill half jerrycan. See how it goes, and then fill it again.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Cement is no option, because once it's in there it hardens and then you are left with a fixed weight.
The idea with the jerrycan is that you can use things like water, sand or lead to make it adjustable.
Wanting to go for 200m carries to work on (grip) endurance? Only fill them up with 20Kg per side.
Want a session for strength? Go for 15m trips with 75Kg per side.

Hello,

@Kettlebelephant
My bad, that is true once cement is hardened, you're done...

For grip endurance, sand or water will work.

For strength...why not fixing a bell to the handle ? (Pretty low cost but...) I'll post again if I find better !

Kind regards,

Pet'

We're not alone in this thread :D

KBs are only an option up to a certain point. The beast "only" weighs 48Kg and it's "body" is so big that it already alters the way you walk in a bad way (IMO). Going for the 56, 68 or even heavier will only make this worse and the monster KBs aren't cheap either. Of course I could buy Farmer's handles, but these are even more expensive and require additional weight plates.

I'm lookin for a relatively cheap DIY version with the jerrycans.

If you want a real endurance challenge check out some stuff on Kiwipete's trading log... he talks about jerry can carries for kilometers...without putting it down...!

How would you get lead in the jerrycan? You would have to melt it down, no?

Use pea gravel and water. You could get 25L Jerry Cans heavier. You can get a 15.5Gal Beer Keg well over 300lbs that way. Lead or steel shot is very expensive if you have access to it, that is a good option

Last edited:
@Geoff Chafe made a good suggestion.

When I was lifting kegs I used gravel & sand to fill them and if I was in a particularly sadistic mood I'd use wet sand. I wouldn't recommend wet sand though. You have to hose it out & you loose a good percentage of it.

Gravel and water will be the easiest and will challenge you for quite some time.

Helpful discussion, especially Pet's math help. I have 3 Jerry Cans and want two at 90# and two at 100#, so it looks like the cement option should work. I'd only go up from there, so the fixed-weight is not an issue . . . until I run out of space. Rogue fills with lead, but lead shot would cost me over $300 for just the two 100#s . . . and that's on top of what I already paid for the Jerry Cans. Will give cement a shot. Thanks!

I just had to register to strongfirst in order to answer. :)

However, I have a set of jerrys already. They are 20 litres and the set weighs now 150kg. In each jerry I have 75kg steel sand. That 150kg/pair I can promise you right away.

The question is if they can take 200kg. Namely, I have 50kg of steel sand left. I think they could take that 200 too, as of now there seems to be no problem.

@Matti, yup, you have to register to be able to post. Our old forum software, in use before September 5, 2015, was configured to allow anyone not logged in to post as "Guest" - that made no sense to me.

Welcome aboard!

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom