all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Jiu jitsu

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Anyone here trained Japanese J Jitsu. Looking to pick up martial arts again in the new year and there’s a club beside me. I’ve trained in M Thai, Krav M, boxing in my 30’s and have done BJJ but never Jiu J.

Anyone here trained Japanese J Jitsu. Looking to pick up martial arts again in the new year and there’s a club beside me. I’ve trained in M Thai, Krav M, boxing in my 30’s and have done BJJ but never Jiu J.
My son did for a while. You will find it quite a bit different from BJJ...

Yes, I train at a gym where traditional/Japanese JJ is kind of mixed with BJJ in the same classes.
First of all, Japanese JJ is practiced in a lot of different ways, in my expereience. It can be both very practical for self defence and very enjoyable to train, provided that there is some "aliveness" and accept for actual contact training. As a system, it is very complete, covering striking, trapping, takedowns, ground fighting, evasion techniques et cetera.

Some gyms within JJ, at least here in Norway, tend to focus on the "soft" aspect of it and a lot of questionable techniques, while never really testing those techniques against any reasonable degree of resistance. Personally, I think that teaching JJ in such a matter is corrupting the basic philosophy of the original system. Of course, the same gyms may still be good places to train for numerous other reasons.

As Pantrolyx noted, jiu jitsu is a very broad term, including some systems that just as well be karate to the system that is practiced as bjj today. The only way to know about a particular club is to go watch or take a few classes.

Cheers guys. Checked out the club and it’s not what I’m looking for. A lot of rehearsed dead patterns drilled with no resistance. I did a year of that in K Maga and found it ineffective. Ill keep looking for a better fit.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom