all posts post new thread

Old Forum Jogging- fat gain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Steve / Nick / Brandon / others,

IF is contraindicated when hormone and sleep issues are present.  It will likely make things worse.  Food choice first, then some healing, then, perhaps, IF.  One may not need to ever go there, however.

I'm all for IF, but for some, its problematic.

-Al

Brandon,

I second what Al said about nutrition, I've yet to work with someone with body composition issues who was in fact "eating clean."  Almost no one I know has cleaned out their system to have an objective view as to how certain foods effect them.  I for one will be 6-8 pounds heavier the day after eating any grain, this isn't to say I gained that in body fat, but rather my abdomen and body has swollen from eating things that don't promote my strength.

Complete something such as the whole 30 plan: whole30.com and you'll have an objective start to see how many foods that have falsely been promoted as healthy truly affect you.

Weight gain, sleep problems, etc. are tied to diet, but many factors are contributing to your hormone imbalances that are creating these issues, have you found a qualified holistic MD to work with to ensure your treatments are effective and addressing all your systems?  IMHO based on my personal experience ANY diagnosis will improve or dissipate once the system is functioning as it should.  8 years ago I was a mess on 5 meds at one point, now 60 pounds lighter, 190ish @ 6' 2", with a far greater capacity for movement and strength.

Sciatic pain - Running, swings, etc. not a good idea until this is resolved by a licensed professional.  SFMA and FMS methods resolved sciatic pain I had from a herniated disc 15 years ago and I'm stronger and moving better than ever without surgery.

The obstacles (opportunities) you have in front of you will create an inspiring journey, resolve to truly change and address these issues thoroughly to stop the cycle of pain/frustration, etc. you've been on.  All you have to do is improve 1% a week in these areas and you'll most likely be setting PR's in many areas of your life a year from now.

Possibly an interesting read for you.

http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22144-gluten-sensitivity/

Brandon,

Let me first congratulate you on trying to live a healthier lifestyle. It's not always easy. First, diet and sleep are going to be your #1 and #2 items to get figured out. For diet there are tons of resources but I'm with Al about IF. Your hormones are out of whack and it is hard to correct that with large periods of no, or few, calories. Three square meals of quality, unprocessed foods is fine for most, although I do subscribe to using IF when I've gotten enough sleep. That brings me to my next item. You can't fully recover from regular living, let alone an active lifestyle, if you don't get enough sleep. At Pavel's suggestion many years ago, I read: "Lights Out" and it was an eye opener. Basically, lack of sleep screws with us in many ways, with hormones being greatly affected. I would focus on more calming forms of exercise that will help you sleep and make sure you eat well and drink lots of water. You would be amazed at how different your body behaves with quality rest and grub.

I wish you the best of luck on getting things figured out.

I am fortunate enough to work with Al at least an hour every day.  I consider meeting Al to be one of my life's true "game changing" events.

I am about 5'11".  Thanks to Al, over 2012 I dropped from a "strong fat" 238 to 192 & 6.1% BF as measured on the BodPod.  I was then 49 and had not seen my abs in over 30 years, so I'm not that guy that everyone else hates...well, at least not for my genetics!  ;)

When I first met Al, about July of 2012, I was eating about like he recommends and had made good progress.  Al helped me change up and dial in my diet to eliminate a lot of stubborn fat.  Honestly, what helped most was having someone who I enormously respect validate what I was doing. 

I have spent 28 years in the military and have seen a LOT of great leaders.  Leadership does NOT come from where you wear your rank or how much rank you wear.  Leadership comes from not only the example you set, but your willingness to listen to the experts, no matter where in the pecking order they stand.  Thus, Al has learned from a 39 y/o who has been resistance training for a year.  Al leads from the front and when you think you're catching up, he finds yet another gear!

Thanks John - what a great compliment!

Most folks here obviously don't know this, but I'm relocating to another air base soon, and I will miss the daily opportunity to work with the professionals, like Frank and John, that I have had the pleasure to meet while here.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom