all posts post new thread

Old Forum Jogging- fat gain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

grasshopperb

Level 1 Valued Member
I have been jogging for around 3 months,  Since that time I have not lost any fat, but I have actually gain fat around my chest and stomach?  Whats going on?  My nutrition is pretty clean.  I don't no why this would happen, so I am going to do KB swing instead and see if this makes a difference.

Just jogging? Do you vary the intensity? When I do runs I vary it up with bursts of sprints and then jogging. The body adapts to a steady jog real quickly.  KB Swings if using a heavy enough bell will hit those hormones again and you should see some results if your diet is still the same.

There has been various research that supports the idea that most people gain fat from jogging.

A 2006 study backs this up. In the study, 12,568 runners were tracked for 9 years. The majority of the runners gained body fat and increase waist circumference during that time period, even if they never quit running. Especially the men.

The runners who gained the most fat around their waists were the ones who decreased their mileage, mainly due to the inevitable running injuries. But get this: even runners who maintained or <em>mildly increased
 their mileage got fatter.

The only runners who didn't get fatter were the ones who significantly increased their mileage, most by 3 times as much running per week. </em>

from http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/running_makes_you_fat

I don't know exactly how much I believe of it. But I never do running on it's own either. I've stated before it a skill I like to have but nothing more.

Intensity ! My friend...

you need to hit your metabolism to the roof!!

I bet you jogging at the same  speed,intensity! No going nowhere !

i advise you: interval training run, high set of swing, burpee!

get your metabolism high! And you will burn even after relax in the sofa'.

Staley is right!  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Moderate intensity running does not burn a lot of fat, especially as you adapt and get better at it.   As others advised, add some intervals and or sprints to your routine.

I don't have anything to add about whether jogging will make you fat.  But - in service of clarifying the science - I would point out that neither does that study described in the t-nation article.  It is an observational study of a limited population. It shows that runners tend to get fatter over time, and runners who increase mileage more tend to gain less fat - which is still merely an association and may say nothing about the causes involved. More important the study says nothing about whether runners gain more or less fat than non-runners or those doing other types of exercise. Or whether those same runners would gain even more fat if they didn't run. (I would guess that any large enough group of people from this culture will tend to gain fat over time.)  There are other better studies relevant to this question, I'm sure.

Brandon, a bit more about you, please - age, weight, bodyfat percentage, running history, other exercise history including kettlebells, other weights, competitive or recreational sports history, injury history, current injury status, and any other medical conditions not directly exercise-related, e.g., blood sugar or diabetes.

Thanks.

-S-

Brandon,

What Steve asked for, please, but to that I would add your 5 day food log covering across a weekend.  Most people think they eat "clean" (whatever that means anymore).

Take note, recomposing the body is probably close to 90% nutrition for most of us.  If you're not changing your eating patterns, nothing you do, even Dan's 10,000 swing month will make a difference.

Resistance training is next.

LSD (this is what you're doing) is last, though important in its own right.

-Al

Monty,

Yes, and no.

The proper term for what I do is educate.  Because I am not a registered dietician and I work for the govt, I am limited to the education piece, with "suggestions", when dealing with my population.

My academic studies was in exercise science with most of my research being done in nutrition, as well as my continuing education.  I have no motivation to meet the requirements for an RD, and, as far as I know, the dietician community has brought charges against some folks for prescribing, and not educating, without the RD title.

It's a sham and they keep people sick (knowingly or unknowingly).  I'm passionate about it because I have lived it.  Wisdom is powerful.

So, yes, and no.

-Al

Hi steve,  I am 33 , 6 foot 3 tall, I weigh 224 pounds,  BW training CC style, Sciatica pain left leg,  I would considered my self about a stone overweight.

I think it may be due to me not producing enough (T )due to the disorder I have, I am not sure about that one, although I do suffer from insomina, which I have notice contributes to fat gains.  So that may have something to so with it, I would imagine lack of sleep can interfere with GH levels etc

Ok here goes please dont judge, I developed a rare disorder called depersonalization disorder. in 2007, which makes life very tough.  Apart from that, I used exercise for self esteem and my love of it, And my 32kg and 16kg bells.

Post run food frenzy, fridge raiding and justifying eating another celebratory cake because you've just run off excess calories. It all matters. As said, running is crap for fat loss, if fat loss is the aim. again as noted already, diet and strength take care of that. You can lose fat running by being OCD about diet to the point that it will ruin your life. Like farting in a cheese shop - it's not the main problem. (Apologies for the analogy). Far easier to make better food choices and train for strength. Why do you gain weight when running? Stress response, cortisol and bad carb munching.  More to it than that obviously, but that's about it. I've only just joined the forum and am really surprised to find a lot of threads on running and diet. Think Al pointed out on a previous issue that there should be a diet section, maybe a running one too?

Double hijack. Double sorry.

Al - any contact info? I'm interested in more communication and don't wanna take further advantage of Brandon. Thanks!

Brandon, no judgement from me.  6' 3" and 225 doesn't sound overweight to me but I realize we're all built differently and it may be more than you want to weigh.

I have been a follower of, and to use Al's term, educator to anyone who will listen to me about the Warrior Diet and other forms of Intermittent Fasting.  (The WD is not, in fact, IF, but it's close enough for the purpose of this discussion.)  And I agree with Al that 90% of body recomposition is diet.  You may find some form of IF also helps with the mental as well as the physical side of thing - I know I do.

When I work with someone who is trying to lose bodyfat, I ask them to keep a log of what they eat - just the simple act of doing that often brings about changes.  There are web site set up for this sort of thing, e.g., FitDay.com

Kettlebell Simple and Sinister is a tremendous resource - get it if you don't have it already, and do it by the book.  I believe you'll make strides towards your goal if you do.

-S-

Thanks Steve, I am looking in to pavels new book,  I have been a silent follower of the Evil Russian for some time! thanks for your input!

I second Steve on the intermittent fasting regimen whether one uses the Warrior Diet or lean gains. Marty Gallagher recommends cycling between IF to lean out and the Parillo diet (5-7 small meals a day) to build mass. It is impossible to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. That does not mean there will not be strength gains during IF. I have been on the Warrior Diet for 2 years and am leaner and stronger than I have ever been. Get lean first then bulk up if that is your goal. But it sounds to me that you would rather be tall and lean than thick.

I am a cross country/track and field coach and recommend a 4-5 day/week running schedule that looks like this: hill repeats/easy run/intervals/rest/long run/easy run, half the distance of long run or rest/rest. Another way of mixing it up is to run negative splits. Run by time or distance then turn around and run back faster to the starting point.

Brandon,

No one here will judge you.

I'm not a medical professional but if you have T issues, you need to square that away first.  It's an uphill battle otherwise.  Sleep issues as well.

I'm almost fully steeped in gut biome health leading to mammalian organism health.  Any antibiotic use, ever?

What does your current diet look like?  Take me through a typical day.

-Al

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom