all posts post new thread

Nutrition Joint health supplementation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Michael

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all, I’ve been in strength training for a little over a year and I started simple and sinister about 5 weeks ago. I would like to stay with strength training for the next 10-20yrs, or as long as I can. I don’t want to tear up my joints and tendons in the process though. Should I take a joint health supplement as preventative maintenance or are those just for people with injuries? If it matters, I’m 18 and I weigh about 140lbs.

I took Krill Oil, 1000 mg tablet for about 1.5 years. Honestly, didn't really notice a change when I went on or off.
I was 28-29 at the time, 150lbs in good health with a good diet though. Take that for what it's worth!

Glucosamine and Chondroitin 1500mg x 180 tablets Both these ingredients are held in high esteem generally. Glucosamine is highly rated among local Brazilian Jiu Jitsu heads - and let's just say (based on my observation of them not personal participation), if you don't want to tear your joints up, don't do BJJ - so if those nutters rate it...

I also take hyaluronic acid which some rate.

My doddery mother swears by cod liver oil capsules as do many.

As for whether you should be taking such things, think you'll struggle to find consensus. Very little scientific evidence on this stuff. Personally I'd say if you can afford it, why not take at least the most credible stuff (like my first link). Let's just say a lot of trainees report joint problems over time.

Only risk is some nasty side effects on the system from taking this stuff, I've heard nothing whatsoever about that and would guess it's very low risk. You always wanna go with a quality supplier though.

Finally I'll mention that some people find high rep routines helpful for their joints (like 25 reps), and others like slow eccentrics (3 second lowering phase). Both of these things subject to a lot of debate and different people respond differently. I think slow eccentrics have more scientific backing for what its worth (scientific studies not the be all, not all has been studied)

good luck with your training

I don't think you need any supplements. Just eat a healthy diet. Joints and tendons become more resilient from the healthy stress of well-structured training.

Well-structured being key.

Things we can all agree on I think: don't overtrain (eg volume), don't be constantly maxing out with your heaviest weights, have excellent recovery, always strive for excellent form
My chronic joint problems started with constantly maxing out and poor recovery so I agree 100% with this. Sore muscles are something to grin and bear in the iron game but I would never work out on a sore joint (any more). My joint problems from overuse (shoulders and elbows) are compounded by arthritis in the hands and feet (yes, I am stupid with poor genetics) so I take a particular stack recommended by Dr Mercola - krill 1000mg, circumin 600mg, astaxanthan 6mg. It's recommended once daily but as I've slowly regressed over time I now take it morning and night. It really works, the difference is remarkable, and has saved me (thus far) from Big Pharma although I do also take some low dose naprogesic or nurofen some times at night. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who didn't have a problem though. Prevention is better than a cure

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom