all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Journaling

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ImMrAdam

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone,
what journaling methods work out for you?

I am establishing a habit of journaling in the evening as a way to wind down, reflect and to find out more about myself. So far I tried two approaches, none of which suited me entirely. The first one was "Morning pages" exercise from "The Artist's Way", where in the morning you write a few pages in free flow which are not to be read again. It's purpose is to declutter your mind at the beginning of the day to unlock creativity. The second was "Count your wins" exercise from "Mindset Matters Most", the point of which was to build self confidence (a side goal of journaling for me as well). None were ideal for me, although part of it is on me as I did not approach it as a program, which I maybe should have. I do plan to return to Mindset Matters Most and treat it as a program.

I am sure that it can be as easy as to pick up a pen and write whatever comes to mind. Nevertheless, as with most things, I believe that there are better ways to do it. What are yours?

Hello everyone,
what journaling methods work out for you?

I am establishing a habit of journaling in the evening as a way to wind down, reflect and to find out more about myself. So far I tried two approaches, none of which suited me entirely. The first one was "Morning pages" exercise from "The Artist's Way", where in the morning you write a few pages in free flow which are not to be read again. It's purpose is to declutter your mind at the beginning of the day to unlock creativity. The second was "Count your wins" exercise from "Mindset Matters Most", the point of which was to build self confidence (a side goal of journaling for me as well). None were ideal for me, although part of it is on me as I did not approach it as a program, which I maybe should have. I do plan to return to Mindset Matters Most and treat it as a program.

I am sure that it can be as easy as to pick up a pen and write whatever comes to mind. Nevertheless, as with most things, I believe that there are better ways to do it. What are yours?
I’ve been journaling pretty consistently since I was about 16. Used to be a lot more about feelings and my take on things. Now it’s mostly what I eat and how my training went but it still feels good to get it in.

I just do it every morning when I have coffee before or after I train. Definitely feels like it declutters my brain. Usually too tired to do it at night.

it’s great to write your crazy feelings out and then be able to look back 5 minutes later and see “okay I was overreacting a LITTLE BIT there.” Super cheap DIY therapy IMO.

I keep wanting to journal, but have never been able to get past the idea that I'm doing something very self-centered. Writing down my thoughts for my own sake, and often trying to exaggerate the importance of something trivial just for the purpose of having something to write about. I realize that's a "me" thing; it's not intended as a critique against journaling. I have had more success writing a little after reading the Bible in the morning, when I keep myself focused on what comes of that reading. More of a prayer journal than a personal one. Always open to hear more about different styles of journaling; maybe I'll find something that resonates with me.

I keep wanting to journal, but have never been able to get past the idea that I'm doing something very self-centered. Writing down my thoughts for my own sake, and often trying to exaggerate the importance of something trivial just for the purpose of having something to write about. I realize that's a "me" thing; it's not intended as a critique against journaling. I have had more success writing a little after reading the Bible in the morning, when I keep myself focused on what comes of that reading. More of a prayer journal than a personal one. Always open to hear more about different styles of journaling; maybe I'll find something that resonates with me.

Think of it like this:
Thoughts --> Journal --> Action
the way that
Forum Discussion --> Training Plan --> Training.

We can talk all day long about training, but at some point we have to formulate a plan, and then put that to action in actual training to get any results out of it.

In the same way, journaling can be that bridge between aimless thought and actually putting something into action in your life. Sometimes it takes on a planning role. Sometimes it takes on a "recognizing and removing obstacles" role. Sometimes it just eases your mind to make you more ready for the next thing. YOU are your best listener, your best counselor, your best mentor, and your best friend. Journaling can help you develop these qualities, and receive them.

Think of it like this:
Thoughts --> Journal --> Action
the way that
Forum Discussion --> Training Plan --> Training.

We can talk all day long about training, but at some point we have to formulate a plan, and then put that to action in actual training to get any results out of it.

In the same way, journaling can be that bridge between aimless thought and actually putting something into action in your life. Sometimes it takes on a planning role. Sometimes it takes on a "recognizing and removing obstacles" role. Sometimes it just eases your mind to make you more ready for the next thing. YOU are your best listener, your best counselor, your best mentor, and your best friend. Journaling can help you develop these qualities, and receive them.
I really like this. Late in my work career, my boss kept a meticulous journal. I copied his idea over the last several years while working as an engineering project manager. Those were probably, my most productive and satisfying years over a long career. I like what you said about, best listener, counselor, & mentor. Sometimes you'll have an idea, or borrowed an idea, and you can pull it out to use it later on some other project.

Inserting my two cents and echoing what others have said as journaling to me is very cathartic. I write in a stream of conscience and just let my thoughts, feelings, desires etc... find their way on to the page.

Sometimes very structured and cohesive and at other times quite scattered and loose.... Rambling. It’s a great way to really get at the core of things, I find. By taking something non-physical (thoughts and such) and teasing ‘em out into the real world I find it makes them more concrete, I can get a better grasp on issues, see different perspectives and solidify my position(s) as it relates to this or that way more effectively than if I were to simply think about something and keep it rattling around in my noggin.

It IS self centered in a way, but that’s not at all a bad thing. Through deep thought AND jotting down what’s going on in my head I fortify my slant on things. Reflection, both internally and externally, allows me to dissolve the fog that may or may not be surrounding and hiding how I truly feel about a particular subject.

I think many of us would be much better served writing more often. It doesn’t have to be some rigid “I must write X number of pages EVERY day or else” type of practice either. I see it far too easy to get dragged and tossed about w/ all that pulls at our attention today and writing serves as a sturdy foot hold amongst the chaos.

Or something like that.... heh. It’s a great way to truly express yourself, total freedom. No sensor, no biting your tongue. I’ve often written down a few lines or pages, then looked back and be thrown off balance a bit by how passionately I felt.

Plus, who doesn’t like getting jacked up on some caffeine, downing a few sips of your favorite adult beverage, throwing in a fat chew (altering your consciousness in some way) and then writing?!

Inserting my two cents and echoing what others have said as journaling to me is very cathartic. I write in a stream of conscience and just let my thoughts, feelings, desires etc... find their way on to the page.

Sometimes very structured and cohesive and at other times quite scattered and loose.... Rambling. It’s a great way to really get at the core of things, I find. By taking something non-physical (thoughts and such) and teasing ‘em out into the real world I find it makes them more concrete, I can get a better grasp on issues, see different perspectives and solidify my position(s) as it relates to this or that way more effectively than if I were to simply think about something and keep it rattling around in my noggin.

It IS self centered in a way, but that’s not at all a bad thing. Through deep thought AND jotting down what’s going on in my head I fortify my slant on things. Reflection, both internally and externally, allows me to dissolve the fog that may or may not be surrounding and hiding how I truly feel about a particular subject.

I think many of us would be much better served writing more often. It doesn’t have to be some rigid “I must write X number of pages EVERY day or else” type of practice either. I see it far too easy to get dragged and tossed about w/ all that pulls at our attention today and writing serves as a sturdy foot hold amongst the chaos.

Or something like that.... heh. It’s a great way to truly express yourself, total freedom. No sensor, no biting your tongue. I’ve often written down a few lines or pages, then looked back and be thrown off balance a bit by how passionately I felt.

Plus, who doesn’t like getting jacked up on some caffeine, downing a few sips of your favorite adult beverage, throwing in a fat chew (altering your consciousness in some way) and then writing?!
Well said…

Modes of journaling have definitely changed for me over the years. Now i mostly carry a pocket notebook and write something when i think i have a good though/idea or if i feel i am stressed out slightly.

a recurring ritual led to too much rumination for me, which I am already very good at in my daily being.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom