all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Jump rope

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Its something id like to learn, it can be done when im short on time which is most of the time, im thinking of adding it 2 or 3 times a week starting with 5mins working up to 20 mins 3 x a week.

At the moment im doing the dmpm workout MWF with 15-25 reps depending how i feel that morning, would it be bad to jump rope on days off?
Dmpm isn't that demanding but i do the exercises back to back and it gets the heart pumping.
I can only do a few skips before tripping at the moment so id like to get better!

The hardest part about learning to jump rope is not getting frustrated. I find on some days I get rather ticked off when my form's not there and from then on it only gets worse. If I keep a cool head it gets a lot easier.

It's a wonderful exercise and it carries over to just about anything involving the use of the legs and/or the cardiorespiratory system.

Last edited:
It sounds like you've got a good thing going - rucking, jump rope, dmpm..

try jumping rope for a few minutes each morning, wakes you up like crazy.

This is the plan, i dont get a lot of time during the week and workout in the mornings, i do find i get worn out easy from long heavy sessions as im getting older so keeping it all short session easy going stuff with one long ruck/run/cycle on the weekends

This morning I done 5min with the rope, then s&s warm up then dmpm and then 5min sun salutation cool down. All done in about 45mins.

Last edited:
MODERATOR: The language in the music accompanying this video is NSFW. Listen at your own risk. -S-

If you have the basic technique down then I suggest trying to skip as economically as possible, meaning jumping as little as you can without hitting the rope. Also in addition, moving and playing around while skipping makes it fun - almost like a flowing dance.

I used to box competitively some years ago and did a lot of skipping. Skipping the aforementioned way drastically improved my footwork, fluidity and agility. I cannot think of a person who would not benefit from this. It also makes longer skipping sessions more fun than monotonic jumping - you start to lose track of time when you immerse yourself into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did 10mins rope today, starting to get into a rhythm did a couple mins without tripping and tried some high knees, then done 10min OS resets.
Im going to start dry fighting weight on Monday and hoping i can keep the rope going too atleast a couple days and it not interfere with rest.
Do you guys find you can do jump rope as a active recovery day?

starting to get a nice rhythm going now, but ive noticed i hit the celing sometimes though and it got me wondering if this will limit me as i get better.
Im hoping not as really enjoing it!

Im 6ft and the ceiling is 7 and a half foot!

I have been doing ok and it just brushes the celing sometimes but doesnt throw it off that ive noticed, i just have to jump only just enough for the rope to go under my feet

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom