all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Jumping in weight for snatches

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kidchaos4

Level 1 Valued Member
I currently own a 16 and 24kg kettlebell. I can snatch the 16kg with ease, but when I try snatching the 24kg, i feel very shaky. Any ideas on how to move up between weights without purchasing a new bell?

Should I just work on the one arm swing more?

Silly question probably but I'm kind of at a lost.

Thanks!

It's not a silly question at all!

How are you with the 24 kg overhead in other ways, e.g., can you press it overhead in some manner, can you jerk it overhead, can you walk with it in the overhead position? Knowing the answers to these will help us make suggestions about improving your snatch with the heavier weight.

-S-

Hi sir! :)

I can press the 24 over head 2-4 times. I can do the get ups (5 each side).

Another issue that I have with the snatch is the drop, when I have it overhead and 'drop' it, the force is so strong I feel like my arm is being pulled out :O

The first thing I recommend is taking a few steps with your 24 kg kettlebell overhead at the end of a set of presses. Work up to taking a short walk with the kettlebell overhead. Practice this with 16 kg if you haven't done it before, then move up to 24 kg when you're ready.

The second thing is taking more walks with your kettlebell at your side. The same guidance applies - if you haven't done this, use a 16 kg or a pair of 16 kg to start, try to work up to walking 100 meters or so, roughly a minute and a half. (Your overhead walks will likely be shorter and that's OK but you can work on increasing the time on those, too.)

These things are prerequisites - you want a stable shoulder and a stable body under your shoulder, and a strong grip, and you'll get those things by walking around with your kettlebells.

As to the snatch itself, trying to resist the force of the kettlebell on the way down is worse than catching it with a straight arm.

When you are ready, which means you can do the walking described above with 24 kg, go outside and practice lowering your 24 kg snatch directly to the ground - just don't bother to try and catch it at first, and eventually you'll figure out how. Remember to be safe and make sure you're outside or in some other place that lets you get rid of the kettlebell as needed. Once you get the hang of having it come down, try steering it so that it ends up behind you so but still let it go. Eventually, you'll figure it out. Try these drills with a 16 kg first if you've never done them before, please.

A video of you snatching a 16 kg for a few reps would be helpful if you can post a link here.

-S-

Thanks for the guidance Steve! I'm currently in the military so video taking is allowed in my base, but I'll try and a get a video soon when I'm off base. :)

Thanks again steve!

In addition to Steve F's suggestions, swings and cleans with the 24 will help. You can also do "half snatches." Snatch to overhead, lower to rack, drop from rack into the next snatch.

There are lots of subtle things you can do to smooth out the downforce of the drop within hard style form (girevoy sport technique goes much farther with this, but that's a whole other world with a very different focus). But, as Steve F. said, you don't want to resist the force of the drop with your arm. Having your elbow bent with any tension, and then having it pulled straight by the force of the bell is a recipe for elbow tendinitis/tendinosis.

Last edited:
agree with both Steves - overhead work, presses and static holds, plus the cleans and swings are imperative as progressions towards a well executed snatch. if, as you state, you "feel like my arm is being pulled out" on the drop you just need to get your body better acclimated to a heavier weight and the particular movement. snatching with a 16 is not really going to teach you how to snatch, the weight is too light and you can get away with poor fundamentals without doing much harm. i am not saying your fundamentals are poor, after all, i have never seen you perform the exercise, but once you start to step up to the 24 and beyond you really need to make sure that your body knows how to move properly under the weight. swings and C&Ps will get your hips use to being the primary mover of the weight, while getting your shoulder girdle ready for holding a heavier weight overhead and releasing that weight into the next rep. have patience and move to the swing and clean and press for a good chunk of time and soon your snatches will fall into place.

I found confidence was the key. If you're not confident with the drop you'll 'vulcan death grip' the bell and rip your hands and or jerk your arm.

I think Steve F outlines a great staged approach to building confidence with the heavier bell.

In my own case I needed the basic strength to comfortably swing a 32 kg bell before I felt I was snatching the 24 under control.

Hello there gents, update on whats happening, I spent a lot of time pressing the bell as well as walking with it, and practised snatches with my 16kg.

Snatching the bell isnt a problem now, but the drop still confuses me.

DO you lean back in the drop? whats the arm movement like in the drop?

@kidchaos4, it should be the groove you used on the way up, reversed. You don't lean back; you do get your hips out of the way at the last minute and then turnaround at the back quickly, as you do with a swing.

The arm movement, as on the way up, should keep the bell fairly close to your body - you snap your hips, you keep the bell going more or less vertical, which is to say much more vertical than in a swing, and you finish with a punch-out at the top.

The simplest, classic strategy is to swing heavier - do 16 kg snatches, follow with 24 kg swings to finish. Get your hands on a 32 kg and do some swings with that - if you can't, try double swings: take a wider stance, and swing the 16 in one hand and the 24 in the other, trying to fool any onlookers into thinking the bells are the same size. Switch the heavier bell between the hands often for balance's sake.

Have you tried the high pull yet with the 24? That's another tried-and-true approach.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom