all posts post new thread

Just another log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Wow, that sucks @SMalishev
Hope you heal quickly
Thanks Kiacek, I powered through a session or 2 with the bell or handle hitting those spots and really only noticed it after it started to hurt a bit when getting ready to do TGUs :D it's slowly getting better.

25th:
Swings 1H 24kg 10x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

27th (Today):
Swings 1H 24kg 10x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

28th:
Swings 2H 24kg 10x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

29th:
Swings 1H 24kg 10x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

2/03:
Swings 2H 32kg 2x10
Swings 2H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

• First time doing 32kg swings as a part of S+S, big yay! After the 32kg sets, the first time I swung the 24kg it almost went into space, my body just put a tremendous amount of force into it and I wasn't expecting such a strong swing. I managed to stop it before it went much higher than my head, and then learned to dial down the explosiveness to the plank.
  • I decided to play it safe and take a 2H day. Tomorrow i'll see how 32kg 1H swings go

3/03:
Swings 1H 32kg 2x10
Swings 1H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

5/03th:
Swings 1H 32kg 2x10
Swings 1H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

6/03:
Swings 2H 32kg 2x10
Swings 2H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

8/03:
Swings 1H 32kg 2x10
Swings 1H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

• The session on the 6th was one of the worst i've had in a long time. But today's session was one of the better ones. I think my head wasn't in the game for the bad one, and it showed.
  • I need to gain some confidence with 1H swinging the 32kg. I think I am not hiking the bell back to the optimum spot, I think standing taller and waiting a little bit longer (which I already do with the 24kg) will solve it.

9/03:
Swings 1H 32kg 2x10
Swings 1H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

10/03:
Swings 2H 32kg 2x10
Swings 2H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

12/03:
Swings 1H 32kg 2x10
Swings 1H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

• 1H swings are a lot more crisp now that i've found the groove a lot better
  • I've made some mental notes about 1H swinging the 32kg that have helped build confidence with it
  • Technique improvement has largely come about from discovering that the lumbar spine can be extended, even with a "neutral pelvis". Paying attention to my feet, hips and shoulder alignment has cured a lot of fuzzy areas in techinque for both the swing and getup, and was a body awareness oversight that I hopefully won't fall back into

13/03:
Swings 1H 32kg 2x10
Swings 1H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

15/03:
Swings 2H 32kg 2x10
Swings 2H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 1x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 4x1

Two new cues/mental notes that i've made for myself:
  • The swing - Think tall thoughts. I want to be as tall as possible in the hinge and plank
  • The getup - the chest leads the way or stays out in front while something else does work

This week:

Swings 2/1H 32kg 2x10
Swings 2/1H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 2x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 3x1

• Some trashy sessions, but then again, some very good sessions.... all in the journey of body awareness of correct technique. You could short circuit this by working with an SFG ?
  • Bit early for "WTH" effects, but I managed a cheater pistol squat on both legs today, just for fun. I was holding two 1.25kg plates in front of me, and went down under control, paused at the bottom (surprisingly comfortable) and then back up (not so comfortable ?)
  • In my new found amazon ebook goldmine, I had a look at original strength. I've been doing the resets, and might I say, they are certainly no BS. they're easy to do, and great for breaking up sitting monotony. I would thoroughly recommend
  • I've also been doing Pavel Macek's world's greatest stretch for about a month. It's a great minimalist stretching routine, and I still do an abridged version of it, only because I seem to do something wrong with the brettzel and rotation part of the leopard stretch. Otherwise, go for gold, fellas.

Swings 2/1H 32kg 2x10
Swings 2/1H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 2x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 3x1

• I keep tweaking knees during the roll to elbow or final part of the getup. I've improved it with foot placement, but I think now I need to distribute the load more evenly and use my forearm more to reduce the shear force on my knees.
  • I've had a kettlebell deadlift/hinge light bulb moment, previously I think I was extending my lower back to hinge, which caused my hamstrings to load up immediately and prevent me from going downwards. I instead moved further towards squat in the squat-hinge continuum for the KB deadlifts, and the swing. Now the deadlift is a lot more to the hinge side and the swing is hopefully in its nice spot somewhere there.
  • Wrists - Every time I seem to move onto a heavier 1H swing, I run into wrist problems. I believe it's solved by persistence and ensuring my wrist does not get told what to do by the bell when it is floating at the top. I suppose this is a problem with having small wrists...

Today:
Swings 1H 32kg 2x10
Swings 1H 24kg 8x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 2x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 3x1
  • The knee didn't heal overnight ? but it has forced my attention to my foot positioning, which is a good thing (tomorrow is a rest day)
  • Next session is going to be 4 sets of 32kg swings. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Monday, Tuesday, Today:

Swings 1H 32kg 4x10
Swings 1H 24kg 6x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 2x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 3x1

• Well, since being more strict with my wrists in swings (as per post that is 2 prior to this one), I haven't had any pain or real concerns with grip in 1H swinging the 32kg
  • The knee is way better, after paying close attentiont to how i'm doing things
  • I need to be stricter with planking and leaning more "forward" in the plank than what i'm used to.

Swings 1H 32kg 4x10
Swings 1H 24kg 6x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 2x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 3x1

• Had a great session today. I read something about very slow rolls to elbows (and elbow back to ground) and yesterday practiced very slow ones with nothing and some with the 16kg. Now my get ups can be done gracefully and slowly throughout the whole sequence, and that makes me very happy
  • I'm having some good fortunes with swing technique now, and i'm also getting a little bit of hypertrophy (could be misattributed to a slightly greater pump though). It's taken a long time to refine my technique thus far, and it makes training a joy, as opposed to something that caused a bit of nervousness as something was always "off"

Since the 13th of April (except on thursdays and sundays):

Swings 1H 32kg 4x10
Swings 1H 24kg 6x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 3x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 2x1

• My swing has become more consistent and fluid since i've started setting up for the swing like Pavel's deadlift from the old Power To The People DVD. Essentially, this is arms down to engage the lats, and chest proud. Then, hinging while maintaining that tightness. It seems to lead to better swings for me than just hinging, reaching for the bell and then anti-shrugging.
  • I've had to sort out a grip positioning issue with the 24kg in the getup. I believe i've found an accurate way to gauge it now

Wednesday, Friday:
Swings 1H 32kg 4x10
Swings 1H 24kg 6x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 3x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 2x1

Today:
  • Was invited to train with someone, and I decided to accept. I knew there wasn't going to be any KBs so I decided to do an easy strength style program to just fill the day in. I didn't bother finding any real sort of starting weight, but it was refreshing to just add a tiny bit of variety
Deadlift - 60KG 5 reps - 3 reps - 2 reps
Bench Press - 40KG 5 reps - 5 reps
Barbell front squat - 30KG 5 reps - 5 reps (First time doing this movement. It feels pretty similar to a goblet squat, but I didn't want to load it very much)
Farmers carry - 16KG each hand - 2 rounds, stopping before any signs of difficulty

• I was surprised at how much strength i'd retained after stopping a straight linear progression and just doing S&S. Granted, my barbell numbers were never high in any sense.

Today:
Swings 1H 32kg 6x10
Swings 1H 24kg 4x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 3x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 2x1

• First time doing 6 sets of 32kg swings, I decided to do them one handed, too. It went better than I thought.
  • I've realised a big part of improving my training is the mental component. I need to have my head 100% in the game, and not think about other crap while lifting, which in turn causes technique to slip. Which then frustrates me, and adds to the distraction and creates self-doubt
  • I realised in my log above when I started getting lazy, I have been copy+pasting 1H. I religiously follow S&S 2.0s guideline of doing 2H swings at least every 3rd session. I absolutely love S&S 2.0, it's been a godsend for me with the tweaks to make life easier for someone who wants to do the sessions, but not guess at progression or fatigue management

This week (including tomorrow)
Swings 1H 32kg 6x10
Swings 1H 24kg 4x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 3x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 2x1

• I'm getting better with mental consistency, so my sessions are better. Fingers crossed it stays that way
  • After reading Kiacek's log and seeing the quote about doing things you love, i've realised i'm very much in love with training, and would be in a pretty dark headspace if I had to stop. Especially during these current times

This week (May 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th)
Swings 1H 32kg 6x10
Swings 1H 24kg 4x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 3x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 2x1
  • After reading some technique refinement articles, i've polished the roll to elbow and shoulder packing in the getup further. I'm due to go to 4 sets with the 24 next week, I think I might see how I go. I've been taking huge amounts of rest, my sessions seem to go for an hour or so.

This week (May 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th and 16th)
Swings 1H 32kg 6x10
Swings 1H 24kg 4x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 4x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 1x1

• More technique headaches to sort through....
  • EYES AND HEAD IN THE SWING MUST BE UP - I can't believe i've been doing this for a year and have had bad technique creep in
  • Found a get-up grip that I can use with the 24kg. Apart from the grip, my getups feel fine

Well, yesterday I completed 6 sets of 1H 32kg swings, and 4 sets of 24kg swings as normal.
Then I managed a set of 16kg get ups, 24kg get ups, and then in the 3rd set, when bringing the bell overhead before starting, the room started spinning, so I brought it back down and then had to stop training. In the interest of not doing myself any harm, i'm going to take a week off S&S and re-assess next wednesday with only 24kg swings and 16kg getups. I'm not too sure as to the cause of this, so i'm going to be conservative

In the meantime, i'll be doing super joints every day and taking walks to keep healthy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom