all posts post new thread

Just another log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Swings 2H 24kg 6x10
Swings mixed 24kg 2x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

Changed a set of 2H to be mixed hands.
Tweaked my knee during the first stage of the first getup, I can't remember how it happened. maybe my foot was half on the mat and half on carpet and slipped.... doesn't feel great. hopefully it'll sort itself out by tomorrow evening

Today:
Arm bar 2x5
Pullovers 2x5

Swings 2H 24kg 3x10
Swings mixed 24kg 2x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

• Well, at least my knee is completely fine.
  • I've decided to regress my 2H swing sets until I can get them all replaced with 1H and then increase from there.
  • Added some mobility work before the S&S session. My upper body mobility has likely been in sneaky decline over the last week or so, which impacted my shoulder packing. I'll monitor it more closely from now on and do upper body mobility on my non-training days to ensure this doesn't happen again.
  • Two steps forward, one step back, two steps forward. this is the back step.

Today:
Arm bar 2x5
Pullovers 2x5

Swings 2H 24kg 3x10
Swings mixed 24kg 2x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

Thoracic spine towel stretch 3'15"

• Did all the getups rather slowly to hyper focus on technique
  • Note to self: don't neglect thoracic mobility if you are behind a desk every day

Yesterday:
Arm bar 2x5

Swings 2H 24kg 3x10
Swings mixed 24kg 2x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

Thoracic spine towel stretch 6'00"

Today:
Swings 2H 24kg 3x10
Swings mixed 24kg 2x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

Thoracic spine towel stretch 6'00"

• My posture today has been much better
  • Great training session today with good form
  • I train after work and haven't been getting the recharge part of the training recently, but I had the recharge feeling today.

Welcome @SMalishev! Quite the stretch you have shared there. I know what I will be adding to my thoracic mobility work. Thank you for sharing that link.

Thoracic spine towel stretch 3'15"

• Note to self: don't neglect thoracic mobility if you are behind a desk every day

Welcome @SMalishev! Quite the stretch you have shared there. I know what I will be adding to my thoracic mobility work. Thank you for sharing that link.

No worries - hopefully it can help you

Today was a rest day for me, but I decided to do some mobility:

Good mornings 5x2
Lunge stretch 5x2

Tactical frog 20 reps (wow my hips were very spread)

After I did the above I tried a toe touch, and managed to touch the floor with a tiny amount of knee flex ion. That is a personal best

Arm bar 1x5 (each arm)

And before bed: thoracic towel stretch 5’00”

Today:
Swings 2H 24kg 2x10
Swings mixed 24kg 3x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

Thoracic spine towel stretch 5'00"
  • I was doing some searching on shoulder packing during the get ups and discovered that I have been holding the bell at the wrong angle, I was holding it like if you drew a line through my ears and then that line would go along the handle of the bell. Putting it on an angle and getting the external rotation to pack and contract the latissimus dorsi is the trick and felt much better

Yesterday:
Good mornings 2x5
Lunge stretch 2x5

Tactical frog 20 reps

Arm bar 2x5
Pullover 2x5
  • Lower body mobility is pretty good, I am laying on my forearms with the tactical frog now
  • Improving slowly with the pullover
Today:
Swings 2H 24kg 1x10
Swings mixed 24kg 4x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1
  • 4/5 swing sets are now mixed hands, soon I will be ready for 5 sets of mixed swings depending on my "morning feel"
  • Getting better at contracting the lats during the getups
To do later:
Meditation 10'

Today:
Swings 2H 24kg 1x10
Swings mixed 24kg 4x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

• I felt fresh this morning, my initial sore shoulders in the morning are disappearing (although I have only just started to shove my pillow right down to the shoulder in order to try to prevent shrugging while sleeping as well), which is excellent. I will try 5 sets of mixed swings tomorrow and see how I fare

To do later:

Today:

Swings mixed 24kg 5x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

• All my swing sets are now mixed, which equates to 20/50 of my swings being 1 handed.
  • Note to self, today I could feel my back rounding ever so slightly during the later sets. Although I did have a bit of a migraine, it's worth noting to keep that in check
To do later:

Yesterday:
Good mornings 2x5
Lunge stretch 2x5

Tactical frog 20+15 reps

Arm bar 2x5
Pullover 2x5
  • Pullovers still improving

Today:
Swings mixed 24kg 5x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

• I was doing some reading today about the prying goblet squat and realised I had been doing them rather wrong, so I corrected my form today and they feel a whole lot better to do, and it should benefit me more
  • I should be ready to increase the 1h swings per set from 4 to 6 sometime soon

Swings mixed 24kg 5x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

• 1H swings today totalled 30/50, I might do one more training session at 30/50 and gauge my readiness for more. i'm happy with my form, I just need to remember to forcefully exhale so I have enough room for an inhale (otherwise I end up holding my breath and only power exhaling a little bit)
  • My left shoulder has really responded well to the thoracic spine mobility and shoulder packing through slight external rotation of the shoulder.
  • I'm going to search around tomorrow for a ball to massage my trapezius muscles. They are sore to touch and really it's the only place on my body like that. Anti shrugging has worked to keep them from getting angier but I need to make them happy and counteract my computer usage at work.

By the way, did anyone else feel after starting 1H swings that some deep muscles in their lower back woke up? my lower back is not sore but it feels like something has been worked and will be strengthened.

Y
Swings mixed 24kg 5x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

• 1H swings today totalled 30/50, I might do one more training session at 30/50 and gauge my readiness for more. i'm happy with my form, I just need to remember to forcefully exhale so I have enough room for an inhale (otherwise I end up holding my breath and only power exhaling a little bit)
  • My left shoulder has really responded well to the thoracic spine mobility and shoulder packing through slight external rotation of the shoulder.
  • I'm going to search around tomorrow for a ball to massage my trapezius muscles. They are sore to touch and really it's the only place on my body like that. Anti shrugging has worked to keep them from getting angier but I need to make them happy and counteract my computer usage at work.

By the way, did anyone else feel after starting 1H swings that some deep muscles in their lower back woke up? my lower back is not sore but it feels like something has been worked and will be strengthened.

You might be feeling the QL getting some work during OAS

Y

You might be feeling the QL getting some work during OAS

Hmm yes it could be that. Although while reading some more about swings today, I realised that I may have been overarching my lumbar spine (I mentioned in my post on the 13th about back rounding, but I think I was wrong), so keeping a more neutral spine appeared to have fixed the strange feeling after doing some practice swings with the 16kg today

Good mornings 2x5
Lunge stretch 2x5

Tactical frog 20+15 reps

Arm bar 2x5
Pullover 2x5

• Today I paid attention to the "pull your hips out of their sockets" cue for the tactical frog and all I can say is, I now understand a little bit of the pain involved in doing the splits :O

Practice swings for technique: 16kg

Today:

• I used a self-massage ball on my trapezius muscles before bed last night and in the morning my shoulders felt less shrugged (normally they are shrugged and as I start moving they move back down) so I will continue to use it
Swings mixed 24kg 5x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1
  • It's hard for me to stay focussed on doing different type of swing sets ie 2T, 3L, 2T, 3R swings. I start to lose count AND start holding my breath. I'll have to think more about swing strategy, potentially regressing (again....) and polishing technique again before transitioning to all 1H swings. I've shown myself it's possible, so I wouldn't be too worried about a few 2H only sessions for skill refinement.
  • Get ups were good, I kept the rib cage "connected to the pelvis" and everything felt better. Proper get ups feel like the area from the shoulders to the pelvis is a rock.
Massage ball

It's hard for me to stay focussed on doing different type of swing sets ie 2T, 3L, 2T, 3R swings. I start to lose count...

You know what works for you better than anyone else, but I've had success using the free "gymboss" app. You put in the different intervals (2T, 3L, 2T, 3R) and how many rounds you want to do, and it tells you which set you are on.

Best of luck with whatever choice you make!

You know what works for you better than anyone else, but I've had success using the free "gymboss" app. You put in the different intervals (2T, 3L, 2T, 3R) and how many rounds you want to do, and it tells you which set you are on.

Best of luck with whatever choice you make!

Thanks for the tip - I might use this app if I ever make it to Simple. My problem was counting during mixed swing sets, that is 2 Two-handed swings, then 3 left handed, then 2 two-handed, then 3 right handed.

Swings 2H 24kg 5x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1
  • Deloading/skill day for swings - performed 2 handed
  • Pushed for a big QL stretch during the recovery. I can lay my chest down on my leg while doing the glute stretch, I want to be able to get the full range of motion/relaxation with the QL.
  • Paying attention to not tilt my pelvis backwards is making everything 100x better (for every exercise and daily posture)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom