all posts post new thread

Just another log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yesterday, the 29th:
Swings 2H 32kg 6x10
Swings 2H 24kg 4x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

Today, The 30th:
Swings 1H 32kg 6x10
Swings 1H 24kg 4x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

• Well, I had a week off. I was dizzy for a few days after, but now that's pretty much all gone.
  • Swings are fine, they're in fact better now, because I read more technique posts and articles.
  • I've seemingly lost all my strength in the getup from the lats up. I get the feeling i'll be starting from scratch with this one.... but I can't figure out why. I can still do them really slowly and smoothly, which is the main thing. Personally, I believe the swing is more beneficial, so i'm glad to retain my power in those

This week:
Swings 32kg 8x10
Swings 24kg 2x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 5x1

• I've regained overhead strength with the 16KG, I think i'm in the clear to soon get back into 24kg get ups. The deload has also helped polish technical consistency
  • Swings are fine, they're quite easy now. I've learned to anti-rotate harder during 1H swings, which seems to make them a whole lot crisper
  • Gone back to doing goblet squats with the 16. Doing them with the 24 is fine and all, but I find I have to have better squat technique to correctly squat the lighter weight, and thus I get more of a benefit in that regard (and it's easier to open up the hips)

This week (8/06-14/06)
Swings 32kg 8x10
Swings 24kg 2x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 3x1
Get ups L+R 24kg 2x1

• Slowly working 24kg get ups back in, I plan to do 3 sessions with 3 24kg sets, then 4 sessions with 4 heavier sets to get back to where I was.
  • Read a talk test thread, and decided I may have been resting too much. Doing S&S for an hour and 15-30 minutes is not extremely fun.
  • Note to self - stop holding your breath so much during the warm up. It creates tiredness for the rest of the session. The same with excessive muscular tension

This week (15/06-20/06)
Swings 32kg 8x10
Swings 24kg 2x10
Get ups L+R 16kg 3x1
Get ups L+R 24kg 2x1

• Get ups are going well again. I decided to be conservative and go back to 4 sets next week instead.
  • Swings will all be 32kg after this week.... Pretty crazy to think about

This week (29/06- 04/07)
Swings 32kg 10x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 4x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 1x1

• Things are groovy, i'm now swinging 10x10 with the 32 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • On Thursday (the usual rest day) I decided to practice roll to elbows. I then had the mad idea of doing them with the 32KG, to get acquainted with it and see where i'm at. I managed to do about 6 in total, 3 sets of 2 on each side.
    In hindsight, that was a large amount of volume, and I definitely felt my midsection and triceps yesterday. But it's good that I can get a bit of experience with that part of the movement.

Needless to say, that part of the getup yesterday and today felt a lot more fluent and easy. I would say the mindful practice + going heavier has helped rewire that part of the getup for me.

This week (06/07- 11/07)
Swings 32kg 10x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 4x1
Get ups L+R 16kg 1x1

• It feels weird, knowing that I don't have any bells heavier than 32kg, and that i've finally reached the set scheme that i'll be using for a while. It's probably an advantage though, if I can put more energy into 32kg getups (which have an ETA of 5 weeks)
  • I now understand on a personal level why being in S&S for the long haul is where you get the most benefits. Reading back on old posts here and elsewhere, it seems that a common theme among people who say "S&S did nothing for me", is that they blitzed through it in about a month and then went onto doing other things.
    Now, these people could well have been barbell strong or experienced doing RKC or ROP type training, but I really do believe Pavel when he says the magic is in the 32kg, and sticking with what you are doing. It has certainly worked for this 11 year old stamp collector.

This week (20/07- 25/07)
Swings 32kg 10x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 5x1

• I finally decided to film myself doing getups. WHAT A GOOD IDEA THAT WAS. I instantly found 2-3 areas to improve on, and by set 5 of that session, the improvement was noticeable.
    Next, to film some swings to analyse them as well.
  • I've been paying more attention to flexibility lately. I can now sit in a (not extremely wide) straddle to do the QL stretch, and have been experimenting to create a personal Program Minimum for further improvement. Which is essentially just a mix of techniques and moves from Super joints, Relax into stretch and Flexible Steel.
    The freedom in the hips feeling is so very nice.

This week (27/07-01/08)
Swings 32kg 10x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 5x1

• Recording and reviewing swings and getups has made it possible to coach and correct myself. I should've done so ages ago, but I basically got to the point where I wasn't getting injured or sore. But there's some corrections to be made, to get even more out of the swings, getups and goblet squats.

This week (03/08-08/08)
Swings 32kg 10x10
Get ups L+R 24kg 5x1

• I've noticed through video recordings that i've got some strange side to side movement going on in my body, and it appears that my pelvis is out.... which I should've acted upon as soon as I noticed that I only felt my right hamstring when hinging (I can't remember when that started either, which is not great). My plan is to spend the week mindfully doing some moves symetrically to try and help solve it, such as slow OS rocks and bodyweight SLDLs.
    For strength, i'll have a think about some things I can continue to do (like mindful goblet squats)

So, last few weeks have been weird and not too flash.
I took the week off, and just did 3x5 16kg goblet squats and some clean and presses.
The week after that, I went back to regular volume and burned out after 2 sessions. Took the rest of that week (last week) off.

This week, i'm back, but doing 50% volume (after finding a post by Brett Jones somewhere on the forum about bouncing back after hitting a sudden brick wall). So far this looks like 5 sets of 32kg swings, and i'll do 10 24kg getups every second session. I'll stick with this regime for an estimated 1-2 weeks, really just until I get my spark back. I know it'll work out in the end.

Somehow i've also got the slight dizziness back again when goblet squatting or getting up - i'll wait for that to go away again

Training notes:
  • Too much neck extension at the bottom of swing - Have corrected this and unlocked instant power and comfort. Me on the 16th of May was onto something, but I subsequently went too far into extension and made that a habit.
  • Anterior pelvic tilt - Focusing on this during the goblet squat top position has made a big difference. Two paragraphs worth of difference, but i'll spare the readers the trouble :D
  • The goldilocks TGU grip (the "just right" one) is still out of my grasp. I wish I didn't have to make that pun....

Where I am at now:

Swings - 24KG 10x10 - For polishing technique, and giving my right hamstring a chance to settle down. It's all slowly getting better.

Get ups - 24KG x4, 32KG x 1 - I did about 3 sessions with one set being replaced with 28.5 (ghetto rigged 24kg) and decided it was a bit too easy, and likely safer to just go the 32KG bell. And thus I did.

Update:

Swings - 24KG 6x10, 32KG 4x10 - Hamstring has pretty much cleared up, but the deload has "cost me" my 32KG 10x10. Not that it matters that much anyway. If a deload is needed, then life or your body will force it in one way or another :D

Get ups - 24KG x 3, 32KG x 2 - It's really cool to be able to do 32KG get ups now. I'm hoping to just accumulate the volume and hit that magical 5 sets sometime in the future

Update:

Swings - 24KG 4x10, 32KG 6x10 - I've been polishing this a lot lately, and it's improved my confidence and reduced inflammation when doing swings. I'll be back to 32KG 10x10 in the future, I don't want to rush it or detract from the getups
Get ups - 24KG x 2, 32KG x 3 - These are going quite well, I feel a lot more confident in the movement now that i'm working with a weight to be respected, and my shoulders are already showing for it.

WTH effect - I was practicing some press technique today (after doing S&S earlier) with a 16 and decided to try and press 24 again. It wouldn't budge after chin height last time, when I was doing GUs 24x5, but this time I managed to push through two tough, but not dangerous reps for a 1RM on each arm. I was quite happy with that, considering I haven't found a great press groove yet and very rarely practice presses.

Well, i've had to deload again after making a shoulder tendon angry. It is amusing, how easy it is to get caught up in one's ego, especially in the age of the internet and comparing yourself to others. But i've had a good opportunity to step back and re-affirm what my priorities actually are
I planned to hit timeless simple by "x" date... but what is the use of pushing through and developing a painful problem for the years and decades ahead? Heck, I could even have an extreeeemely long session and get everything done with the 32KG for all sets. Then i'm technically there. Then what?

Have a good end-of-year holiday season all who is reading this, Health and power to you.

Swings - 24KG x 10
Get ups - 8KG x 5
Not for long, though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom