all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Just completed 10K swing challenge.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lotto

Level 6 Valued Member
I've just completed the 10k swing challenge and loved it. The simple programming was attractive, I got noticeably stronger by the end. I'm a tree surgeon and work feels a whole lot easier on my body, that's my measure. Could you please suggest other programs that I could try? I would like to increase strength specifically. For reference I only have one 24kg hard style bell available to me.

The cliché question what is your goal would be a great guide as to what would be the next step

@ Mark Limbaga. I'd like to continue to increase overall body strength and endurance of the aerobic kind to help me at work. The 10k program really boosted my overall conditioning. I'd consider myself fit through my job but participate in no sports and my only other exercise is yoga 4 times a week. I really enjoy having a goal/target to focus on as this motivates me.

I'll check out ROP as I've never heard of it before.

Hello,

@Lotto
Welcome !

I would go for RoP as well.

Here is the RoP support group:

Here is another thread dedidacted to variety:

Sure there are others of course.

Kind regards,

Pet'

The RoP looks like what I'm after but I have no snatch experience. Looking at it on the net maybe a 24 kg bell is not where I want to be starting to learn. Not the best time to be finding a lighter bell either, everywhere appears sold out.

Ordered a copy of ETK so hopefully learn the snatch from there and crack on with the program.

Hello,

@Lotto
There are more experienced "RoPers" than me. However, if you are more experencied and / or comfortable with the swings, then do swings instead of snatches. Plus it tends to save the shoulders a little bit more.

Otherwise, it was mentioned by D. John in one of his recent podcast, and also here by Steve Freides, you can perform tactical get ups, but with a press at each step. You will quickly feel how heavy a 24kg bell can be. For the leg portion of this move, 24 is not really heavy, so working on progression towards pistol can be a good add-on.

To keep the conditioning level, 150 swings a day may be good.

Pat Flynn does great job with plenty of sessions, to get variety:
hthttps://www.youtube.com/user/supmuhhumbruh/videos?disable_polymer=1

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've just completed the 10k swing challenge and loved it. The simple programming was attractive, I got noticeably stronger by the end. I'm a tree surgeon and work feels a whole lot easier on my body, that's my measure. Could you please suggest other programs that I could try? I would like to increase strength specifically. For reference I only have one 24kg hard style bell available to me.
I'm going to suggest the OP take a look at S&S as opposed to ROP for these reasons:

ROP from ETK is a great program, but I wanted to point out that, in the book, Pavel suggests running through the "Program Minimum" before starting ROP. This is mainly to get the beginning practitioner's shoulders in shape to handle the amount of pressing and snatching that is in ROP. Since S&S is the updated, and more thought out "Program Minimum", it may make more sense just to start off with S&S.

If you never cleaned, pressed, or snatched a kettlebell; a 24kg might not be the easiest to learn technique with.

You already know how to swing, then for S&S, you just need to learn the TGU. Starting off with 24kg for TGU could prove difficult, but luckily, the TGU can be learned with little or no weight, and be progressed with anything weighted you can hold in one hand (milk jug, dumbbell, etc).

I did the 10K challenge back in October of 2018. I think the 10K challenge supercharged me, because right after I finished, I jumped right into S&S 6 days a week and progressed rather quickly. Think about it, if you were doing 500 swings a day, 5 days a week; 100 swings a day for 6 days a week wasn't anything. Being fairly strong in the swings, I was able to focus on practicing the TGU. (BTW: I as able to go from hitting timed standard with 32kg to 40kg in a few months, and had progressed to using 48kg in a few months after that.) I credit a lot of my progress in S&S to the 10K program for increasing my thermostat physically, but more importantly, mentally.

Having only one 24kg could prove challenging for any program, but I think you could progress each exercise in the following manner:
Swing: 2-hand swing w/24kg > 1-hand swing w/24kg > Increase density (less rest) > Increase volume
TGU: Naked (no weight) > balancing shoe > light weights (dumbbells, etc) > 24kg bell

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

I would also urge caution trying to snatch a bell when you are not used to it, I have seen people using their lower back too much and leaning back slightly in order to put the momentum into the bell to get it overhead.

If there's no lighter bells available, maybe try high pulls as a halfway house, so you are used to generating the momentum with the hip snap.

Lots of excellent pointers and advice, it is greatly appreciated. I've managed to borrow a 16 and 20kg bell from my friend who initially let me have the 24kg. I'll mix it up with the Dan John app until ETK arrives and I'll go from there. Excited to see where I end up.

It's a great programme, don't think I have been in better shape than when I was on it.

When doing the S+S program do you keep the weights the same until you can move up together or is it acceptable to be using heavier on your swing?

I opted to go with S+S and as of yesterday achieved the simple timed standard but only with a 24kg bell. Unfortunately I have no way of obtaining a 32kg bell currently. At my disposal is 16,20,24kg. What program could I use to keep me on track for simple timed standard with a 32kg? I need to increase my strength I feel so was thinking double kettlebell programs even though the bells would be offset?

Hello,

Maybe this:

Otherwise, you can perform the GU in a slow motion or doing a pause (10s) at each step of the GU

Kind regards,

Pet'

I opted to go with S+S and as of yesterday achieved the simple timed standard but only with a 24kg bell. Unfortunately I have no way of obtaining a 32kg bell currently. At my disposal is 16,20,24kg. What program could I use to keep me on track for simple timed standard with a 32kg? I need to increase my strength I feel so was thinking double kettlebell programs even though the bells would be offset?

I'd like to continue to increase overall body strength and endurance of the aerobic kind to help me at work.

Based on your goals, think I would recommend this program

This will add more swing volume which is good for endurance. Make sure the swings are maximum explosive and you're projecting power forward to really tax your grip at the top and bottom of each swing! This will help prepare you for the 32kg.

Continue doing get-ups and make sure you're taking your time with them... 30-40 seconds from start to finish, a nice strong and solid pause of a few seconds at each position. This makes a difference. You can also add a short waiter's walk at the top of the get-up.

Some other ideas, if you want to mix them in or take a different route:
  • double/offset swings (unfortunately this won't help advance your grip towards 32kg, but will help prepare the rest of your body)
  • a press program like ROP for strength
  • move to snatching
  • If you like condensed and quick, the Simply Sinister plan that Pet suggested above.

@Anna C and @pet' . Thank you for the programs and advice. I've been playing around with my cleans and snatches but not confident enough in my execution of them yet to incorporate them into a program. I like what you have both suggested.

Hello,

@Lotto
I am 100% with @Anna C regarding the press program like RoP.

Indeed, when I did a RoP cycle with 24, it took me only a few sessions before getting back my 32 GU. Indeed, I did not practice this lift for a while so I needed to dial the technique again. Nonetheless, the "raw strength" was there.

When performing RoP, you can keep the snatch / swing portion to be sure getting conditioning from the program. Plus, it will maintain the technique when you'll get back to S&S. However, the C&P portion is already quite "demanding" (in regards of both strength & conditioning). So if you drop it, you'll get a more sustainable RoP. You can add GTG pistols (or progression towards it). This will help you for the lunge portion of the GU.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom