all posts post new thread

Old Forum Just released: Pavel's new book

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don't see $9.95 Kindle price when using the link in the first post.
Amazon shows $14.82 Kindle Price?

I like where (I think) Pavel is going with the swings ... overspeed (in S&S, he renamed these "shadow swings") two-hand / double swings, and floater single swings.  This has been my default for years.  When training general and special population military, I use overspeeds (shadows) to get the guys off of sit ups, but remain able to max out the event on the tests.  Training sit ups regularly only ends with low back pain.  Shadow swings was my answer.  In addition to the sit up maintenance / improvement, it is just unreal what low-rep sets of heavy, shadow swings do for mid-line strength and power.

It takes a while to properly learn these, and forging the motor program for the floater (regular) swing FIRST is important.  Meaning that a new student (in my dojo) has to drill the floater swing for a at least 3 months before we introduce them to the shadow swing version.  And that means ignoring their pleas to play with the shiny new object that the guy (who's put his time in) next to them gets to play with.  For some, it's a quicker progression, but 3 months seems to do it for most.  If you introduce the shadow swing too early, your will degrade the motor program for the basic swing.
My version of the shadow swing is to cue the student to stop the ascent of the bell at about the 45 degree down angle, and reverse it back into the hinge.  A properly executed shadow swing successfully plays the body in a tug of war between the posterior chain (hip snap) and anterior chain /lats (stab & hike).  Watching the evolution (and facial expressions) of a student learning the shadow swing is a beautiful thing - like a sculpture in progress.

All of my students, myself included, use the shadow as the default swing when we have two hands on the bell, or double bells.  If I program single swings, the default is as described in S&S.  Great stuff!

Your miles may vary, but I have been exploring this for too long to think otherwise.

S&S is a definite read for anyone training with KBs.

-Al

Been reading and rereading S&S. It is exactly what I have been looking for. The program is so simple it reinspires me. You don't have to fear that without an all out grind you won't receive any benefits. I thought years ago a little with the KB goes a long way and this book proves it. I am so glad Mr. Tsatsouline wrote it. I hope he goes back to the book " The Russian Kettlebell Challenge" and rewrites it with a new simplified protocol for the exercises like he has done with S&S. Or at least a series of books with different exercises so you won't feel crammed with having to do so much. Maybe a series of books that progresses from one level to another. I would think S&S is level one. I give it 5 stars !!!

I'm ordering S&S when I get off my 12-hour shift this morning.  Looking forward to reading it, and I will review it on my blog too.

I finished reading S & S last night. A reviewer wrote it was "dense" with information. I agree wholeheartedly. This is a book worth reading again and again (I started re-reading it this morning). I also finished Easy Strength two weeks ago, and I recommend reading (or re-reading) Easy Strength then reading S & S as I did by coincidence. It highlights the information in S &S significantly. There are no added, useless words or sentences in S & S. Everything stated is valuable.

Thanks for writing this book, Pavel.

I received my copy of the paperback edition today. It is missing the top of every page. It measures 8.5" x 8.5". The front cover is titled " a conversation in Art 2013". I just emailed this information to CreateSpace. I am posting this to find out anyone else has the same experience. Since there are posts from those who have read the book, they must have received the full text.

James,

Shoot an email with your order ID number to gwettig@strongfirst.com and we'll have a replacement expressed out to you.

Hi,

I'm a huge fan of Pavel's work (based on PTTP, ETK and NW), so I'm naturally interested in his new work.

Do you have any plans to release S & S on any other site? I can't buy books on amazon, and I don't have any credit cards, but I do have paypal, so I'd appreciate a way for me to purchase the book by PP.

Pavel,

Thanks for this work.  I picked up a Kindle version via Amazon a few weeks ago, and it's been the best $10 investment I've ever made.  It has completely changed the way I approach my personal fitness.

T.C., send me an email at mtoomey@strongfirst.com, we'll figure out a way to get you a book.

I bought S&S on the 14th.  Read it in one sitting.  Read it again a few days later.  If anything, my opinion of it is rising with each successive reading.  That's quite the feat.  Because I was truly blown away with the content on the first read.  It is beautiful in its simplicity. 

It deserves much more of a review than I will do here.  But I'll link to the review when it goes on my blog. 

I've been asked if it was worth $10.  Yes!  I wouldn't complain if it cost $40.  It's that useful.  A lot of thought went into it.  It's obvious when you curl up with it and digest the content.  I bought the Kindle version and was impressed with how that turned out - visually. 

It's easy to summarize S&S as: Swings and Get Ups.  That doesn't do it justice.  There is so much more to it than that. 

Anyone who has written, whether for fun, for personal satisfaction, for the cathartic effect, or for money - knows that paring essential information down to the barest amount necessary is very, very hard.  Harder than "fluffing" so-called "content" up like a dirty old pillow and presenting it as the newest training method/fad. 

I have written for all of the above reasons.  To be honest, only a few times have I been paid for my writing.  But I understand why Pavel gets paid for what he has to say.  And he gives credit where its due to his friends, colleagues, and others who have contributed to the material (one way or another) in S&S. 

I'm going to read S&S a third time on my days off (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) and will only then begin to write the review that I know it deserves. 

The other reviews I've read have been very well thought out by the way.  So I'm not bashing the other reviews by any means.

I've read it a few times and now just jumping around to different areas to take notes and get all the instructions together. Reading S&S reminds me of the old story of the plumber who charges $XXX for 2 minutes worth of investigation and tapping on a pipe/boiler/whatever. 1% of the bill is the tapping and 99% of the bill is knowing where to tap. My point is not that this book is expensive. My point is that the content is clear and simple to understand, but could only have been done by spending a staggering amount of time collecting, applying and refining the information into the ultimate "Do This" text.

Ben and Joe, thank you for your outstanding reviews!  Please do me a favor and post them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline-ebook/product-reviews/B00GF2HP9G/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom