all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Justa's Singles Strategy Adapted to the Double Kettlebell Press Query

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

obreaslainp

Level 5 Valued Member
Justa’s Singles Strategy Adapted to the Double Kettlebell Press - StrongFirst

Hi Guys, @Iron Tamer

Before beginning this program I tested my 1RM in the Double Kettlebell Press and almost got a single with 2 x 28kg kettlebells. The right side went up fine and the left side went half up but stalled at the sticking point so it ended up being like a see-saw press. As I was very close I decided to use 2 x 20kg for the program (roughly 70%) as laid out by Iron Tamer. I followed the program as written for the two weeks and retested. I was able to successfully press 2x28kg for a single. I also managed to add a rep to my 2 x 24kg press (from 6 reps to 7 reps). Both were PR's for me.

My query now is where do I go from here? Do I go back to the start with the 2 x 20kg for another two week block as this will actually be 70% now that I got a single with 2 x 28kg? Or do I move up in weight which would be more that 70% (2 x 24kg = 86% for example) . The kettlebells I have available are 2 x 20kg, 1 x 22kg, 2 x 24kg, 1 x 26kg, 2 x 28kg and 1 x32kg.

Dave in the article said that he went from a max single of 2 x 36kg to a max single of 2 x 44kg in about ten weeks which is amazing progress for such a short period of time. I would love to see how that ten weeks got broken down as it isn't very clear on how to proceed. I.E. do you stick to your starting weight of 70% until you can get a certain number of reps with your 1TRM bells before moving up to the next bell size? If anyone has any insight on this matter I'd be very grateful to hear it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi
I've had a lot of success with this program, as well as The Great Wall from Taming the Bent Press (excellent book)
I interpreted it as 6 sessions of 2 weeks each. Session 7 was a test week. So 12 weeks practicing and 1 week to test and rest.

I had 1 rep max of 28 so fid the whole lot with 20's. Lifted 32's in the test week so am now repeating with 24's.

Love this lift and this program.

Hope this helps.

I know for me, I need to practice my heavy press a lot or I lose it. Right now, it's lost as I've been focusing on conditioning with kettlebells and doing More Kettlebell Muscle workouts with double 45 lbs. bells.

Will get back to it in the fall. Anyway, I've had success with this program, which is kind of a grease the groove with volume. Start with 24's.

Chinese Food for Rapid Pressing Gains - StrongFirst

Hi
I've had a lot of success with this program, as well as The Great Wall from Taming the Bent Press (excellent book)
I interpreted it as 6 sessions of 2 weeks each. Session 7 was a test week. So 12 weeks practicing and 1 week to test and rest.

I had 1 rep max of 28 so fid the whole lot with 20's. Lifted 32's in the test week so am now repeating with 24's.

Love this lift and this program.

Hope this helps.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused by how you interpreted it.

My taking on it is this;

Week 1 - Monday (30 reps), Wednesday (35 reps), Friday (40 reps), Sunday (45 reps)
Week 2 - Tuesday (50 reps), Thursday (55 reps), Saturday (60 reps)
Week 3 - Monday Test Day

Did you spend 2 weeks on 30 reps, 2 weeks on 35 reps etc.?

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused by how you interpreted it.

My taking on it is this;

Week 1 - Monday (30 reps), Wednesday (35 reps), Friday (40 reps), Sunday (45 reps)
Week 2 - Tuesday (50 reps), Thursday (55 reps), Saturday (60 reps)
Week 3 - Monday Test Day

Did you spend 2 weeks on 30 reps, 2 weeks on 35 reps etc.?

Yeah that's how I did it. 2 weeks, which was 7 sessions, on 30 reps; then 2 weeks/ 7 sessions on 35 reps etc.

Just took my time and it worked for me. Increased strength and a little hypertrophy.

"Do I go back to the start with the 2 x 20kg for another two week block as this will actually be 70% now that I got a single with 2 x 28kg?"

Yes. Your original 1RM was slightly under 2x28 since one side crapped out. Run it again and OWN them 28s son!

Thanks for replying Iron Tamer. That's what I figured. I'm half-way through another 2 week block with the 2 X 20kgs. I'll retest at the end of next week. How many reps would you recommend getting with the 2 x 28kgs on test day before moving up to the 2 x 24kgs? Thanks.

Interesting article. To balance pushes and pulls, anyone think you could combine the original DL routine with the double press version from Iron Tamer without overtraining?

A question for @Iron Tamer

How would you program, using the similar approach, the Justa's Singles plan No.1 (3 singles on Monday, 5 on Tuesday,...,15 singles on Sunday, done every day using 70 % of 1rm)?

@Iron Tamer
What I meant is the same approach as described in you article about double kettlebell press
this thread talks about, just using No. 1 Justa's plan instead of No. 2.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom