all posts post new thread

Justin A. training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

justin84

Level 2 Valued Member
Some quick personal information: I am 32 6' and around 165 to 170 lbs. I am not a SFG nor have I received this current routine from one. Mostly because there isn't one any where near where I live in south FL. I am doing S & S on Mon, Wed and Fri and currently using 32 kg. On Tues and Thur I am doing the workout from the Strength Aerobics article (Strength Aerobics: "Conditioning" Workouts That Work - StrongFirst). In the article Pavel mentions that alternating the two workouts would be his prescribed method. I was doing just S & S but I have a bit of workout ADD and this gives me just enough variety to keep me on track. As far as goals, I just want to get stronger.

Anyway, I hope everyone likes it and I welcome and feedback especially from SFG's or anyone else, positive or negative.

Thanks
Justin

Last edited:
Week of May 8 Log
Mon S/S
1 Hand Swings (32kg)-10x10 7 min
TGU (32)-5L/5R

Tues-
Clean, Press, Squat (28kg)
1 rep L/min 1 rep R/min for 16 min

Wed S/S
1 Hand Swings (32kg)-10x10 8 min
TGU (32)-5L/5R

Thur-
Clean, Press, Squat (24kg)
1 rep L and 1 rep R/min-16 min

Fri S/S
1 Hand Swings (32kg)-10x10 8 min
TGU (32)-5L/5R

NOTE: I know that it takes me 20 sec to do 10 swings so I shave off time from my swings 20 sec's at a time. I don't think I need to post any warm up or mobility work because I am sure I am not doing anything other than what more experienced people than me are doing.

A little change in plans. This week I was reading about everyone meeting simple goals and working on the sinister one and felt that I really should dedicate myself to meeting them as well. I did S & S Mon-Fri.

Mon
1 HSW 10x10 in 7 min
TGU L-5/R-5

Tues
1 HSW 10x10 in 10 min
TGU L-5/R-5

Wed
1 HSW 10x10 in 9 min
TGU L-5/R-5

Thur
1 HSW 10x10 in 10 min
TGU L-5/R-5

Fri
1 HSW 10x10 in 10 min
TGU L-5/R-5

Nothing interesting I know but this is really the first time I have dedicated myself to a goal 100%. I am just doing the original program. I have not been given any of the testing programs some people have. I know they are not given to everyone but if someone wants to give me a little advise on how to adjust rest periods or get to the goals faster I would appreciate it. Like I said before I am just shaving of 20 seconds here and there for now.

Hi Justin, good idea to commit to the Simple goal. Before advice on the time, I'd be curious to know 1) how's your technique?, and 2) how do you feel? On your technique (especially since you don't have an SFG available), maybe a video. On how you feel - how's your breathing in between sets, how do you feel after doing 10 sets, do you feel a difference in the power in the next set when you rest longer or shorter, how does a set of swings w/ 32kg feel compared to a lighter weight... that sort of thing.

I feel pretty good about my form with both exercises and honestly I feel better or stronger however you want to describe it the more sets I do. Some days I do feel I need double the rest between all my sets and some I feel I just need equal rest to work on some sets. The best way to describe it is that on Mondays I need less rest and I pyramid up with amount of rest I need by Wednesday and by Friday I feel like I need less rest again. Hope this helps. I am pretty comfortable with a 32. I have a 40 kg I used when doing the 420 protocol with 2 hand swings but do not feel as comfortable as I think I should for sets of 10 1 hand swings. Thanks.. Justin

Some days I do feel I need double the rest between all my sets and some I feel I just need equal rest to work on some sets.

Sounds good; this tells me you are listening to your body and in tune with what pace is right for that day, which is great. I think if you keep doing that, and then when you really feel like you can do a strong set of 10x10 and it feels easier, then just try one day when you feel strong to do it with much less rest. Not necessarily by the clock, but just go much sooner than you normally would and see what happens. It will feel very hard, but monitor your power output and see if you are able to still do the 10x10 sets with as much quality as you did with more rest. If you can, then try that a few more times over a couple of weeks and give it a go at the time goals. There are many ways to get there and this is one, but maybe some ideas you can use. When in doubt, just keep practicing...

Week of 5/22/16

Just did the same work out Mon-Fri

S & S
1 HSW 10x10 OTM
5L/5R TGU

Not feeling 100% this week so just took it easy.

I was reading S & S and wanted to try to do what the book said, workout every day taking a light day when needed and an off day once in a great while. I ended up working out 10 days in a row.

5/30-6/2
1HSW (32k) 10X10 OTM
TGU (32k) 5L/5R

6/3
2HSW (24k) 10X10 OTM
TGU (24) 5L/5R

6/4-6/7
1HSW (32k) 10X10 OTM
TGU (32k) 5L/5R

6/8
2HSW (24k) 10X10 OTM
TGU (24) 5L/5R

I am taking 6/9 off. After 10 days working out I feel pretty good. I did the prescribed mobility and stretching from S & S and believe that stretching after working out helped feel more recovered the next day. Doing this really made me get a better sense of what S & S is really about.

Update: Not doing anything new. I am just doing straight S & S with 32 kg 5-6 days a week and feeling good. I have stopped using anytime of timer. For my swings I do my next set when I can do 1:2 inhale to exhale 5 times comfortably. I have noticed that this is improving my time on the odd day I do push myself. I think I am improving more than when I used a timer and felt I have to do everything according to the clock. For my TGU's I catch my breath and relax a little (usually around 2-3 min) and do my TGU's. I just rest long enough so that I can do the next one just a good as the last one.

Last edited:
So after months of S&S with the 32kg and it not getting any easier and not feeling or seeing and progress, I decided to follow advice from @Pavel Macek and take a step back to the 28 kg for a while and work my way back up. Did my first session today and I have to say I am glad I did it. I was able to pay closer attention to form and felt like I got more from it than I have in a while. Will keep posting.

So after about two weeks of going back to the 28kg I have worked my way back up to the 32kg and did my first s & s workout with only the 32kg on Saturday. I am feeling a lot better with the 32kg than I did before. My form is cleaner and I am not was worn out after my workouts. I also get a new Preform Better 32kg instead of the 9 year old RKC bell I was using. The new one is much more comfortable to use. Thanks @Pavel Macek and @Anna C for helping me out the past couple months.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom