all posts post new thread

Old Forum KB Snatch and S&S-type conditioning

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

superstrolchi

First Post
Hi folks! :)

I am curious if KB snatches can be used for S&S-type conditioning?

After 2 years of training with KBs I have come to the conclusion that it's not for me and I think powerlifting-type barbelltraining in a gym is more in line with what I want from training.

But I really like the KB snatch and I really liked the conditioning in S&S. Can I combine both?

Training Background
: I have worked my way through the Simple part of S&S and followed that with a year of RoP (managed to finish 5 ladders with the 32kg 2 weeks ago). I own a 16, a 24, a 28 and a 32kg KB.

You can do S&S with snatches instead of swings if thats what you prefer. You can also do snatches with a barbell instead of KB if you're more into barbell than KB. If i remember correctly, there's an article about swings vs snatches in S&S some where on this site.

http://www.strongfirst.com/swing-versus-snatch/

Here is the article i mentioned.

I hate to pull off topic here. But sence you just finished rop with the 32kg. Did you have any problems going from the 24 to the 32 kg bell? I hope to start rop first of the year with a 24kg bell. Thanks.

I don't follow that article. I understand that elite distance runners use quads much less than a lower level runner.

If swings and snatches with a given weight both build hamstring strength the same (both using the hinge), surely it is better to use a move which builds quad strength as well (if hamstring strength development isn't compromised as a result), to help with the low input the quads have into an economical running style?

Telegram, read again:

"The swing dominates the snatch in lower body strength development and hypertrophy, simply because one can swing a lot more weight."

"Although this reflects natural selection rather than training, it suggests that, to a sprinter, the hinge is more important than the squat."

No one says that you have to choose between squat vs. hinge or snatch vs. swing. But that there is a "justifiable bias for one or the other."

The biggest challenge in using the snatch versus the swing is hand care. In the swing most ppl use the hook grip, hence no friction. When snatching (daily), as recommended in the S&S program you are going to e experiencing much more friction and callus buildup. As someone who did the Viking Warrior program for a couple of years, I can tell it can be done, but hand care definitely becomes an important issue.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom