all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kb strong and The ONE program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think the first time you run through the ONE the later half got hard. My reps slowed down in the last 5 minutes of the longer min sets.

The second time it was much much easier.

The volume is high so don't swing for the fences, come to a comfortable stop during each interval. Safety always comes first

@Jeffry Tabb – I am not sure of exact Muscle mass but I will tell you this. My back and shoulders blew up and my waist got tighter and thinner. It was pretty noticeable. Some friends that I dont see often even remarked at how Strong and Trim I looked. I am 6′ and was 215 when I started the program. Last week I weighed in at 208.

Geoff lists a ton of options.

He has recommended STRONG with the C&P and also the KB Front Squat(that is what I am doing right now)

Strong program seems geared for GRINDS.(Press,Push Press,Squat)

ONE seems to me geared for Ballistics/Kinetic movements IE Swing,Snatch,Jerk,Longcycle.

That is just my understanding of the material.

Mike moran
I ask you because you seem to be the one who has most experience. First above you said strong with C&P and FSQ you didn't mean them together in same workout right ?

Also for the one program you said your secome time through it was better? You've been through it through it a few times I take it, when did you decide to start over ?

@scott tighe

No the first time I did the Strong/One I did C&P on Strong Days and Double Swing on ONE days

Then I did just the ONE again and it was much easier and now I am doing the STRONG program with the KB Front Squat currently.

Currently this program is my favorite in that it is Simple but not easy and I am seeing gains everywhere from my Strength to my conditioning and it has made my Karate skills better as well. Good stuff.

@Mark Limbaga

I will probably try that soon! I am still learning how to do a nice KB Clean and Jerk. I want to have good form before I start a program on that and I heard that KB Front Squats can improve your Jerk hence my current cycle of them on the STRONG program.

For those of you who've done the Strong!! program with DFSQs:  did you clean before each squat rep, or just once?  It seems like a re-clean would be preferable systemic-load-wise, but would necessitate a lot of foot re-positioning.

Second question:  when combining the "ONE" double swing program with a strength program, Geoff says to use only "the strength and hypertrophy" program.  If I understand this correctly, it means choose either "The Short Course" or "The Slow and Steady" to pair with "ONE".  Is that right? If so, I hope someone can explain why that might be, because both of those programs look harder than the "Strong!!" program I just finished - at least if you're going to try to stick with the same weight.

@Bill

FSQ- I would clean once, reposition you feet and then squat as many reps as required. If you want more cleans just do multiple cleans before or after squatting.

Strong + ONE- I think you have the answer there already. I am using just one set of Kbs so to start with ONE straight away is too heavy. I started Strong with C&P 2x28kg and then "practiced" FSQ and Swing at the end of each session- something like 5x5 with as much rest as required. Remember Geoff's first programming recommendation is to just practice the lifts.

If you go to a gym with multiple sets of Kb's maybe you have more options but also remember why you bought the program. I would not let the conditioning aspect detract from the Strength work until you have a decent base built up during the first 8 weeks.

Hey Bill,

I've not done this program but have read it. In the "STRONG" program there are 3 categories.... 'Strength' (P78), 'Capacity / Hypertrophy' ('Short' (p79) or 'Slow & Steady' (P80)) and 'conditioning / fat loss' (timed sets - P81).

From my reading of the program, Geoff is saying you can combine "ONE" with the first "STRONG" program (strength) and  either of the capacity / hypertrophy options but not the capacity /fat loss version.

Regards

I have also read people talking about  Geoff saying when you combine the strong and one program , one day you can do C&P and the other day  FSQ  which is very interesting to me  seeing aa your only  putting volume into each lift once a week.

Faisal,

That actually makes sense to me, but I can't for the life of me read what he wrote and make it sound like that's what he's recommending.  I would actually prefer your version, as I believe I'd have to go down to at least 28s to accomplish the sets of 5-6 reps that are present in "The Short Course". Starting "Strong" over again and combining it with "ONE" appeals to me way more than using "The Long Haul" from "More Kettlebell Muscle" which I strongly suspect would kill me.  All this is program shopping for January's Level 1 Nashville.  I've laid the strength base with Strong! and now need to do some conditioning.  Which I hate.

When I talked to Geoff via Email to do the Strong/One it was the regular STRONG program with the ONE program. Not the Short course or the Steady program.

Guys - You can do "STRONG!" combined with "One" through everything but I strongly caution against using it during the conditioning/fat loss phase because the overload mechanisms are too similar.

To reiterate: You can do "One" through Phase 1, and with the "Short Course" and with the "Slow and Steady." And remember to alternate training sessions: 2 days a week of "STRONG!" combined with 2 days of  "One."

Geoff,

Want to know more on these programs.  What book should I buy that lays out these programs? Does kb strong book explain the One program.   A bit confused

rick finotti,

Yessir, the programs we're describing are all found in "Kettlebell Strong".  We're talking about them in vague terms so as to not give away too much of Geoff's copyrighted material.  He gives away enough for free already. The book/DVD is BY FAR the most comprehensive description of the "hows" and "whys" of double kettlebell work I have ever seen.  Buy it.  Twice.

www.getkettlebellstrong.com

In every online fitness discussion, there has to be one moron who is having reading comprehension or some other kind of brane trubbles. Today, I get to be That Guy.

So…..combine “ONE” with ANY “Strong!” program EXCEPT the one on the very bottom of page 80 with sets/reps described on the top of page 81. Correct?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom