all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kb strong and The ONE program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Geoff, I read on the inner circle FB page about when combining the strong and one program for the strong portion you could use a different exercise for mon and thurs, for example db C&P Monday and Db FSQ thurs then the one the other two days.

Did I read that right ?

Scott,

I really like this idea and hope Geoff blesses it.  My job is a 3 days-a-week disappearing act, so a Mon-Tue-Thur-Fri program must become a Tues-Wed-Thur-Fri program. It looks to my amateur eye like doing heavy C&Ps on Tuesday and heavy DFSQs on Thursday might be a nifty way to sidestep my inability to take a day off in the middle of the week.

Scott and Bill,

Yeah, you can alternate STRONG! sessions between the C+P and the FSQ. You'd just repeat the loading parameters. So they would change every week, not every session, assuming Mon-C+P and Thurs-FSQ.

However, I'd just pick one exercise and stick with that for the best results.

So, I've been doing the Strong Program, but using a complex of FSQ and C+P back to back before my rest period.  Is there any reason not to do this.  As they are different muscle groups, I thought it would be a good way of increasing the volume and managing fatigue.

Okay, I've come to a decision and you guys are now encouraged to critique my idea and/or make fun of me. Keep in mind I'm fairly delicate and my feelings are easily hurt.
Okay...we're 8 weeks out from my Level 1 Cert. Where I am right now:  I just completed Strong! with double 32s. It was not combined with the "ONE" program. I did however "test" my conditioning a few times in the 8 weeks with a couple sessions of 200 swings in ten minutes with a 20 (my test bell), 2 practice Snatch Tests with the 20 (passed both in 4+48 and 4+45) and last week's ROP ladders [1,2,3,4] x 5  snatching a 32 for the ones and twos and 28 for the threes and fours. It's fair to say I'm not TOO de-conditioned. Originally, I had planned to do a higher-rep, very intense program from "More Kettlebell Muscle" like "The Long Haul", "The Universe", or "Ballistic Beatdown" for conditioning and some fat loss. However, this pure-strength Strong! program was very appealing to me and it seems to have kept my conditioning at a pretty reasonable level as well. Which brings me to my clever, carefully-thought-out, insightful, yet still likely half-baked new plan:
How about I combine the "ONE" swing program with the "Short Course" program, but instead of trying to flail through the higher number of C&P reps of Short Course with my 32s, or alternatively going down and using my 28s, how about I substitute the Clean & Jerk or possibly the Push Press with my 32s? Continuing to work with the bigger bells really appeals to me, but if there's a programming conflict with long-cycle C&Js and double swings, I'm all ears. I'd likely start the "ONE" DSW program with 24s if anyone cares or wonders or is still reading this 45 minutes later

I feel that would be working toward your goal so it would work. DSW with 2x24 for conditioning days on the ONE and then C&P With the 32kgs on the STRONG days. My only concern is if you do the Short Course that may be taxing.

Now I am no expert but I think that would not conflict with what you need for the cert(Strength and Conditioning)

that looks solid to me. I'd do some technique practice before doing your actual workout just to ensure your form is spot on to pass the testing standards :)

OS resets with the getup are gold IMO

Bill - funny how getting stronger maintains and even improves your conditioning with very little effort on your part.

If you want to make those mods, that's fine, use the Push Press. But like Mark said, do some technique work first. Probably about 20 minutes worth. Make sure you keep your "touch" on that double press too. So keep that in the mix once a week.

However, I do think the "Ballistic Beatdown" from MKM would make a very nice contrast to the STRONG! program. Do both twice per week - STRONG! on M-Th and "BB"on Tu-Fri or Tu-Sat and you'll be on to something. Make sure to eat for recovery.

Sold! Anything that gets me out of a megadose of double swings, I'll embrace. Strong! and Ballistic Beatdown it shall be. Along with skillz practice. Put a "Z" on the end and people know you really mean it.

Tried "Ballistic Beatdown" today. To say it's a lot of reps is a bit of an understatement. I did one round with 16s and quickly realized smaller kettlebells or epic failure were in my future. I guess I'm back to huffin' and puffin with Junior-sized kettlebells. But tomorrow I get to hurl my 32s around again. I think Geoff's suspicion that these two programs would provide an interesting contrast is right on.

And for those of you who don't know what "Ballistic Beatdown" is, buy Geoff's book "More Kettlebell Muscle", which everyone's strength liberry should have.

Yeah I missed out on the special when it was available. Geoff you have More KB Muscle available separately any time soon?

Geoff,

So is it safe to assume that a "strong"-MKM hybrid is also acceptable for someone doing SFG prep?? While I'm at it, would a "strong"-king sized killer hybrid be acceptable too?

@Bill - yeah, LOTS of reps. Like I said, quite the contrast. Make sure you take a day off between BB and STRONG!.

@Mike - you can get it here: http://kettlebellsecrets.com/invite/mkm.html

@Mark - depends on the hybrid. You want one without cleans and presses. Or with minimal. Contrast is the key principle here. Contrast the loads. Contrast the volume. Contrast the exercises. You're talking about KSK from "Express!" right - so single bell? That'd work too.

Yes ksk from kb express. I was thinking monday and thursday would be strong, tuesday and friday would be ksk

I had a feeling and was wondering why I couldn't find i, I was looking under express ultra. But that you

Got KB Strong in the mail yesterday. Did rack holds for time after dinner and then used some of the tips for DFSQ during my double complex of cleans, presses, front squats(sound familiar?) followed by pullups. Don't know if it was the "zipping up" from the rack holds that helped, but my cleans were just flying up, but still under control. Those front squat tips are gold and I'll keep using the book and video to dial in form, but I won't start the program until I finish my current complex cycle.

I've been working with KB strong for a couple of months now. I went through the initial strength building phase with a pair of 28's working C&P pluse FSQ (low reps so I figured I could handle it.) Now I am working a combo of the slow and steady program twice a week and the one program twice a week. I am combining some pull-ups on my strength days. I am making pretty good progress on those days (just worked 10X4 for the 1st time). Now the one program is a different story, I am able to work my 28's for 15:45 and 20:40 for 10 minutes but I get to the 25:35 and my grip complete fails me. Would it be a better idea to work back down to my set of 20"s for the one program or should I continue trying with the 28"s (no 24's, weird skip, I know). I am doing the adapted program of trying to work progressively each time I go but it is still a struggle. I wish I had better grip endurance because the rest of my body feels up to the challenge!

If a person is capable of solid singles work with a 32, is it possible to begins doubles with 24's, or would it be best to start with 16's?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom