all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kb strong and The ONE program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ha,ha, Bill! "Slave..." Good one. ;-)

I just prefer personal emails.

About your Q: Clean and PP would be better than JK, although you can use both. For you, it was a matter, if I recall, of you being close to your cert. You needed the tension practice. There is no jerk at SFG so playing with it would of been a waste of your time at that point.

Here's the cool thing about the Push Press: It's a quasi-ballistic. It's initiated with leg drive, but to get strong and move heavy weights, you still have to push the bells from your chest with your upper body. The inertia stops about hairline height and it's all upper body. Now the interesting thing is if you're not pushing hard with your upper body from the beginning, the bells will stall as your triceps try and kick in.

I'm sure someone will try and argue with me on this one, but like Rif says, "It's all easy til it's heavy." Try Push Pressing 315 without driving hard with your upper body from the start and get back to me...

And Mark, you can do it with a "cheat" press - that's a press with a little leg drive - not a full dip like the Push Press. And you will get stronger. Let me rephrase that, you MAY get stronger. Depends on the person. I see a positive transfer in my pressing strength from my Push Press work. Why? Probably systemic overload. For example, I'm currently Push Pressing, but not pressing. My submaximal press work has increased without any pressing. Why? Like I said, systemic overload. The entire system is taxed with the heavier load from Push Presses, so the whole body gets stronger.

Will it work for you? Dunno. Give it a shot and test it out. Pushing heavy weight over head feels durn good.

Only one way to find out: I'll finish a few more weeksof deloading and give my experiment a try then report back here...

Follow up question for Geoff:

Since my best clean and press with the 28s was 3 reps, would it be safe to start the slow and steady with the 28s or start halfway thru the Strong program using 28s?

And another from me,  Geoff:  can I skip the cleans?

I LOVE cleans. But my elbows are still recovering (I may be being a big sissy) from what Dan John calls "Old Guy Pullup Syndrome" after my attempt to wedge pullups between sets of  Strong! in SFG prep last fall. I'd really like to get back to strength programming with:  Squat and Push Press. I'd go up a bell size to 36s, and be using the lo-rep programming on page 78.

Was looking over KB Strong last night for tips on the double snatch and looked up the program outlines. It says to "use a pair that you struggle to grind out 4-5 reps on".

Mark - How close is that 4th rep? I'm sure you probably could go for it but the more I do programs from others the more I follow the directions for my own benefit.

Is any one working in 2 days of s&s into the 2 free days on strong and resting at the weekend? I completed the strong prog with 24s before December and been doing s&s since. I love both programmes, pavel says you can reduce s&s to 2 days if your doing another strength programme, Geoff would this work with Strong?

Stuart,

What is your goal to begin with? IMHO mixing and matching programs must have a logical reason. I believe you can mix Strong with "swing season" from Kettlebell Express.

Thanks Mark, I'd still like to keep TGU's in there somewhere. I'm 38 and play cricket (kind of like baseball). I've found over the last 3 or 4 years TGU's/Swings have really improved my game and would like to keep as my staple training. However  after following Strong  in Nov/Dec  my shoulders had some serious power and my throwing  became a lot stronger. Is there anyway I can combine  S&S (or even PM) and Strong? Maybe 2 days tgu swings and 2/3 days strong?  I like the low volume in Strong, which shouldn't cause me elbow problems when my season starts  which ROP did in the past. Hope this makes sense.

@Mark - I'm assuming you mean phase 1? Or start on Phase 2 "Slow and Steady" option?
Start with phase 1.

@Bill - skipping the cleans is fine.

@Stuart - Don't mix S&S with STRONG!.

Stuart here's what I suggest.. use a light bell for getups as a warmup, combine the Strong and One program... make sense?

I had a think about where I am leading up to my cricket season. Having come off kb strong at the back end of last year and S&S recently, my strength is good but my conditioning could do with some more work for my season which starts in 6 weeks. I decided to do the 5 week One programme with the 24s and keeping in TGUs with the 24, 3per side. The 24 is a comfortable weight for me now and only doing 3 per side doesn't fatigue me prior to the swings. I also do OS pre sets and Geoffs T-spine and shoulders drills for warm up, these are great drills for cricket. I'm 2 training sessions in a feel pretty good, looking forward to seeing the results in 5 weeks. I'm also including 5-6 30m hill sprints on a free day. In 6 weeks when my season starts ill combine strong and one as per Geoff prescribes in the book and see how that goes, if the volume proves to much ill stop and revert back to One and TGUs for my season.

Geoff - questions on the KB Strong Bonus material from the Inner Circle. I'm re-studying this booklet, particularly the Month 7 "Double Your Strength" and Month 8 "Double Your Muscle" programs. My original thought was to chase "Jerk Werk" with another MKBM program "You Don't Know Squat", then return to Strong!! But this stuff really caught my eye. My goals are to do a bunch of different programs as-written so I can learn how programming works, stave-off middle age male atrophy, and get ever stronger.

Since this stuff was included in my KB Strong package, I'm assuming it's interchangeable or at least compatible. So...

Should I alternate hypertrophy (Jerk Werk) with strength (Double Your Strength), hypertrophy (Double Muscle), then strength (Strong!). Or go hypertrophy x 2 then strength x 2?  Or am I in danger of doing too much double bell work - in which case I'd likely run an "Original Strength Performance" cycle to break it up.

What are the weight recommendations for the programs described in the Inner Circle compilation? And lastly, I assume it's "understood" that the weights will be different for the "A" and "B" exercises and maybe even for the A1 vs. A2 exercises in "Double Muscle". Am I correct? Have I asked enough questions yet? Am I your Favorite Troll?  Does the fact that "Jerk Werk" has made my triceps the size of  shoe boxes indicate that I'm doing jerks wrong?  Do you think Mark Limbaga could beat up Manny Pacquiao?

@Bill FT - After Jerk Werk, go back and do a pure strength cycle, then do Double Your Strength followed by Double Your Muscle. And you can never do too much doubles work. :)

Month 7 - 5RM for A exercises and 10RM for B exercises will work.

Month 8 - 8RM for A exercises and 15RM for B exercises.

Enjoy!

Remember the kettlebell swing is a great exercise, but you need to safely challenge yourself. You are paying a lot for crossfit, get your money's worth! I swing the 20k one handed and the 22k 2 handed.

kettlebells

Since this thread has righteously morphed into the home of the fans of double KB programs (and those who actually do programs), I offer this review of  the Inner Circle program called "Month 7 - Double Your Strength". The program is structured with two components in each session. The first is pure strength, the second is more strength endurance.  The volume varies, the  density varies, the fatigue is carefully distributed. I did the program in May along with my wife, my erstwhile crash test dummy "client" who is also my pastor, and his wife. These folks are pretty well trained KB'ers but are not students of program design. Yet, I must've heard the phrase "I really like this program" a half dozen times  in the month from different people. I liked it too. It makes you feel "good". Strong. Capable. It creates EPOC to a startling degree. I'm now working through one of the Chief's volunteer programs. Meanwhile, Wifey insisted upon starting this program over with 12s instead of the 10s she used last trip and she's very motivated to do each session. I'm gonna do it again as well watching my nutrition this time to strip off some winter fat just in time for...Fall.

The "Inner Circle" booklet is part of the "Kettlebell Strong!" Deluxe package and is just another example of what a tremendous value that package is.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom