all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kb strong and The ONE program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think there are more testimonials and high reviews in this thread than Geoff's ad copy.....that being said I am looking forward to following this program again with double 28's on the hybrid Strong+One Programs and then eventually moving to the Inner Circle programs as Bill was talking about.

After this 8-week, single bell  program, I think I'll restart Month 7, then run straight through 8 and 9 as well.

I love Geoffs Strong programme, can't praise it highly enough. I've worked through a cycle of Strong with the 24's and just started my 2nd cycle of Strong & One with the 24's. My presses were fine in my first cycle, but I wasn't happy with my form towards the end of ONE once i started hitting 45/15, so I'm re-doing the programme. I play cricket (bit like baseball) and have really noticed and increase in power in both throwing/hitting/sprinting and my grip is ridiculous. Over the UK winter I'm planning to work in the  snatch and push press, then hopefully move on the double 32's next year.  I've also been doing OS /goblet squats/Arm bars daily and 3 x TGU's per side with 24 as a warm up  on the 4 days p/w I'm doing Stong&One.  I'll be on Strong for a long while, loving the journey!

@Stuart yes I loved my stint on Strong/ONE as well. Next I am going to just do Strong and then Stronger back to back!

Hi all,

i'd be interested to hear of results using KB strong with FSQ only.  Given the level if tension in zipping up, would this result in general strength gains or mainly legs?

Cheers.

Paul

@ Mike, power to you! I'd be keen to know how you get on.

@ Paul, I believe Mike has done Strong with FSQ (from memory)

I'd like to have a crack at KB muscle  one day, but I think I'll need to be well grooved with the 32's first to get the most out of it (so using the 24's for KBM).

Stuart, just a word of caution regarding kbm.  Grooving with the 32s probably won't translate to using the 24s on kbm.  I went through it with double 20 s the first time and it worked quite well and at the time I could do a double 40kg C&P.  This is especially true after week 3 when the rest periods are cut!

As I said in another post, it is my favorite all time kettlebell workout after the ROP from ETK, but you have to check your ego at the door when using it.  The payoff will be there though.

@ John, thanks for the heads up.......I'm along way off starting KBM, want to nail the 32's in KB Strong first, but I'll take note when starting KBM.  I've a pair of 16's and 24's, so maybe give the 16's a crack first.

@Paul

Yes I did one 8 week block of STRONG with 2x24kg FSQ.

No joke it made me stronger in about every department! Core got lit up like crazy but so did lats,quads,glutes! Give it run! Even presses felt easier.

@John - thanks for that input, it will certainly help me to choose the right bells for MKM when I get around to it in 2015... Just finished STRONG with a pair of 24kg bells.

I thought using a pair of 16kg won't really help with muscle building, am I wrong?

My current focus remains strength.

How are those of you following STRONG! only structuring your workouts?  Are you doing only your chosen movement, or are you doing more?  Ex, if you're doing clean and press, are you doing any squats, etc, as well?

Triathlon training starts this week for me.  My wife raced her first last month and re-inspired me :). I've been playing with different things to plug in as far as KB work goes, and so far like The Grad workout the best.  Ten rounds on the minute 3x per week seems to compliment what I've done to ease into the six days per week of 30-45 minute long tri workouts.  I like the full body nature of it.

I've also considered STRONG!, but so far the workouts haven't been very taxing and leave my lower body wanting more.  That said, I've  only done two weeks of them and haven't made it past the 7x2.

I've also thought about doing clean, squat, press as a chain or complex, following the rep/set scheme as outlined until it's too much.

I've seen mention of an email list that Geoff produces. Can anyone point me to which product this is tied to? A quick google didn't seem to produce a result. Thanks.

@ James - I'm no triathlete, but I can't see why doing Strong 3 days per week would be a detriment to your training, the volume is low and I would imagine you would see the strength/power benefits in your events. I think the key would be to factor in your rest periods. Check out Andrew Read he is a triathlete and I've read some of his articles where he says he  includes C+P in his training. 

I recommend buying Strong if you are looking to do Doubles, Geoff goes in to great detail, you will learn a lot.....and you'll get on Geoffs email list:)

@Thomas, you can go to kettlebellsecrets.com and subscribe for the emails. You don't need to buy any of the products to be on the list but be prepared to be "encouraged" to buy KB Strong :)

Faisal using double 16 s is fine in my opinion for kbm if that's your weight you can comfortably press ten times.

I found that for ME the program is not about the weight as much as it is the time under tension which produces a tremendous amount of lactic acid.  Geoffs exercise selection combined with short rest periods is the key to the program.

As I said, I was able to do a single, although admittedly somewhat sloppy double clean and press with double 40s when I first went through it and attempted to do it with double 24 s.......I quickly decided to use the double 20 s and did the whole 12 weeks as I knew my form would be shot using them with the shorter rest periods after week three.  After my first full workout, I had trouble turning the doorknob to my house, as my forearms were on fire!

I lost fat and gained muscle and strength.  Time under tension is the key I guess.  I wouldn't be concerned about the weight being too light, as each round has you working for a longer than you are used to period.

John, thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I will certainly keep that in mind for when I finally get to MKM.

@ James – I’m no triathlete, but I can’t see why doing Strong 3 days per week would be a detriment to your training, the volume is low and I would imagine you would see the strength/power benefits in your events. I think the key would be to factor in your rest periods. Check out Andrew Read he is a triathlete and I’ve read some of his articles where he says he  includes C+P in his training.

I recommend buying Strong if you are looking to do Doubles, Geoff goes in to great detail, you will learn a lot…..and you’ll get on Geoffs email list:)

Thanks Stuart.  I might not have been clear enough.  I have STRONG! and More Kettlebell Muscle (printed and bound at Kinkos for $10!).  They're both awesome.  I could re-phrase like this.

Doing the clean and press alone feels great from the hips up.  Are you guys doing anything for hips down?

I did workout 7 today, adding a squat to the chain (clean > squat > press).  Very effective.  We'll see how long I can keep it up.  If it becomes to much as the program builds or negatively effects the triathlon stuff, I may just do a set of two before commencing the official workout with just a clean and press.

The triathlon isn't my long term-goal, kettlebell work is.  The tri is a 12 week stint to have fun exploring something.

Can I do STRONG and ONE in one day?

Day 1. strong (DB C&P) + one (DB SWING)

2. off

3. off

4. strong (DB C&P) + one (DB SWING)

5/6/7 - off

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom