all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kb strong and The ONE program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Can you? Sure no one is stopping you. Should you? I am gonna say probably not. I would guess that would zap you something hard. Even the 4 day split would sometimes make me a bit tired. I had much better recovery doing just STRONG 3x a week or ONE 3 x week

The split Geoff recommends is more like this

M -Strong

T- ONE

W-OFF

T-Strong

F-ONE

S-OFF

S-OFF

At least that is the way he breaks it down in the book and in his email.

Just started with D24s on Strong. It seems like incredibly low volume. I couldnt lift doubles any heavier but still I feel like not having trained at all. I admit to sneaking in some pull ups in between. Excited to see if this is enough, big fan of Geoffs work.

I think the first couple of weeks can seem like you're cheating but the trouble with adding more work is that it 'may' impact your recovery and future sessions. When I started the program with 20s, I was also doing TGUs at the end for first few weeks but with the 24s I stuck to the program as is and saw good gains in strength.

How  can I add squats and pullups to KBS  (C&P program: page 78. - its low volume for me ) ?

I want build strength and some body recomp.

Taro,

I've run this two ways:

1. Alternate press sets with pull up sets (keep the pullup sets relatively easy). Then add a couple of sets of double front squats afterwards (usually 2 x 5).

2. As above, but with a more intensive clean and front squat program the day after presses. For the front squats, I've done an ETK style ladder progression with double C&FSQ: 1 clean/1 front squat, 2 cleans/2 front squats, etc. without putting the bells down, working up fromwith  3 ladders up to 3, to 5 ladders up to 3, and then adding rungs, just like in ETK (credit to Dan John for this routine). I followed a 2 days on/1 day off schedule.

In one of Geoff's recent emails, he recommended a combo of Strong and The One, incorporating front squats as follows:
Day 1: "STRONG!" as written. Add in 3x5 FSQs at the end.
Day 2: "One" as written.
Day 3: Off
Day 4: "STRONG!" as written. Add in 3x3 FSQs at the end.
Day 5: "One" as written.
Day 6: Go for a long walk.
Day 7: Off

I will train only 3 times a week.
I add 3x3 squats alternating with 3x3 pullups.

I will be going from 3x3 to 3x5.

A) C&P + 3x3 SQ

off

B) C&P + 3x3 PULLUPS

off

A)..

off

off

Thought I'd give this a bump to see how those on KB strong are progressing. 

I'm just finishing my 2nd cycle of Strong & One with the 24's, once completed i'm moving onto the  Slow and Steady cycle, to really own the 24's before progressing to the  32's. My goal is to complete Strong with the Beasts. This might be out of my reach, but I'll get strong trying :)

I just finished another six week program of the Strong program, Cleans & Presses, and got much more comfortable with the 24's and gained some weight, I'm up to 175lbs (was 155 at the beginning of the summer).  I am about to go into the fall and my busy travel season, so I'll be switching to bodyweight stuff on the road, and some sandbag and bodyweight stuff when I'm home.

If you have managed to stay lean that is a very impressive gain.  Congratulations on that.

I am currently doing The Strong with cleans and squats.  Due to a nagging shoulder injury I have a hard time with overhead work, but I absolute love doing The Strong the way I am.  I am also doing OS, so I guess you could say I have totally bought into what Geoff and Tim are selling.  Even though I am not doing what might be considered arm work in the traditional sense, my arms are muscular.  I am optimistic that the cleans and squats, coupled with the OS work will heal my shoulder and I will be able to do The Strong with cleans and presses.  But even if I stay with cleans and squats it is a very good workout that works quite a bit of muscle mass.  The OS really fills in the gaps.  When Geoff says that Kettlebell Strong and OS is a great combination, he is telling the truth.

I'm doing OS too, I do this first thing  in the morning, it really gets me going. I've been practising Squats with the 24's after my Strong session, just singles at the moment, but looking to eventually  alternate (1st & 3rd days)3 x5 and 3x3  (I read an article from Geoff that this would be ok) and a snatch pratice (2nd day). I finish each session off with loaded carry's.

I've followed Strong and Strong+One for almost year now and love it. My strength and power has really increased (i'm 38), my core feels like iron when I tense and my grip has never felt stronger. I play cricket which is loosely like baseball, and this programme really hits the sweetspot for me, my hitting and throwing powers has improved, I'm quicker across the ground  (more power in the glutes) and have noticed I can leap higher with more hangtime for catching. I've put on some muscle too!

I'm really looking forward to having a crack at the Slow and steady prog then maybe the  conditioning prog to really wear out my 24's before tackling the 32's.

I did Strong with a pair of 24s in May and June, I was then fasting for Ramadan (19 hours a day) and stuck to S&S with a 24 but didn't get many sessions in. I returned to Strong with 24s in middle of August and was surprised how much strength (especially press) I had lost while fasting so now going through Strong again with the 24s with the addition of 3x5 FSQs at the end. I'm on week 5. It felt really good when I completed the single rep session in under 15 minutes last week.

I also do some OS work and based on 3 minutes reset article I recently completed 40 days of resets, clocking a total of 488 minutes (just over 8 hours) of resets in the 40 days.

Faisal, I'm not suprised you lost strength, my work colleague also fasted (incl no water) and it seemed brutal, being in the middle of summer! Power to you! Stick with Strong, after a year I'm really appreciating how Geoff's programming works.

What, if after SHORT finishing I won't be able to do 10x6 and to shorten of rest?

I got through most of phase one with a pair of 24's before bringing it to a pause for the last phase of my triathlon plan (tri was my goal, and doing both was beginning to be too much).  Re-started phase one last week with 24's, and re-started again today with a pair of 20's.

I could complete the workouts with the 24's, but I knew my technique wasn't as sharp or snappy as it should be.  Sometimes it's best just to humble up and think about the long-term goal:  completing the program and getting stronger. Not using 24's.

Anybody do both Strong+One and used OS resets as their warmup? I'd love to hear how your experiences

I've done this over the summer with 24's I had no problem with it, (I stopped the crawling due to aggrevating a knee injury). I combined the OS and KB warm ups, plus goblet squats. This week I've cycled back S&S to give my shoulders a break, been on KB Strong since march (but still practising light Double KB cleans and squats to keep my technique.)

I am at a point where I've been using a pair of 16kg for Strong presses. I started with the strength section but it felt pretty light so I moved to higher progressions and then the hypertrophy section. I'm at the 1o sets of 5 rep presses area. I can Grease-the-groove single rep presses with a pair of 24kg but I can't do reps due to fatigue. My left arm is weaker than my right.

I am wondering if I should continue the hypertrophy section with the 16kg even though it seems light, switch to 24kg pair until I can do reps, or halt doubles and do an ROP ladder with a single 24kg until I can do reps with the left arm. I'd like to avoid buying a second 20kg if it's only going to be used for a short time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom