all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB Strong Continuation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Grahill

Level 8 Valued Member
Ok, so I basically altered my original plan and stayed with Strong as a strength based program, literally tripling the volume of phase 1 and ended up where I was in 2015 with the rep max (11), weighing about 10 pounds less (198) and a lot less "systemically cooked." I previously had done the "slow and steady" in 2015 and I really pushed the "less rest" part of the phase and by the end I was pretty tired.

The tripling of the volume of phase 1 sounds like it would be worse but it wasn't. I gave myself more recovery between rounds/sets and although the workouts were longer, they were more tolerable.

I am now embarking on the double 40s which are now a 5 RM and will spend the summer playing with them. My goal is twofold, stay as lean as possible and get to 10 clean and presses with the 40s.

This should be fun.

Last edited:
In what way did you increase your volume? Did you triple the number of sets or reps per set? I'm about to try the strong program, but with much less weight than you.

@CoreyW , I kind of just increased the working sets...I viewed it as an extension of phase 1 wherein I gained more strength through volume so that the "short course" would be a deload of sorts....I tested myself again and found I gained the same basic benefits of the "short course" without the metabolic butt kicking associated with the more "glycotic" phase 2. (I hope I explained it properly)

Please bear in mind I am not advocating this for anyone else as I am not an instructor, nor do I play one on tv! I read Geoff's article about the program and tried this.

As stated, my new goal is 10 c+p with double 40s and hopefully I'll get there by summer's end. I find that when I do clean and presses while watching my diet my "shape" both physiologically and visibly improves.

@Shawn90, it was a lot of work but it worked. Will I do that with the 40s? At this point I'm going to say no, going to stay on the standard course.

Nice work @John Grahill! When increasing the volume in phase one did you increase the sets in both the light (X×2) days and heavy (X×3) days or just the heavy days?

I'm glad to hear increasing the volume in phase 1 worked out so well for you. I've been considering the same after reading Geoff's update article and now I'm convinced. I just finished DFW and was feeling a little beat up from the glycolitic work. Started phase 1 with 28s yesterday.

@George Vrotsos , did it like you described and didn't rush between sets. Ironically over time I found I was ready to go much more quickly and at times forced myself to wait like three minutes!

It's a different feeling systemically ... if I'm saying that correctly ... than the " density styled training " I've done in the past.

Now the 40s feel like the 36s felt in January/February.

Great goal! Just curios, do you do other workouts or training other than this? That’s a ton of volume

@Moyni19 , doing this program is my primary focus and has been for a few months. I really can't handle nor do I want any more volume at this point.

Monday is phase 1, day 1 with the 40s and the embarking on a new journey!

Ok so I made it through week one. It just didn't feel quite "right" at THIS point. This week I went back to the 36s and have started phase two, the "Slow and Steady" as I don't think I'm ready to handle the 6's with shortened rests in three weeks BUT I do want to try the longer approach and get there in the fall. Then do the 40s.

In football you punt the ball strategically when you have to and that's kind of what I did here. Training throughout life is a marathon and not a sprint.

Ok, so couple of weeks ago I jumped ahead in the "slow and steady" and got the 10x6 with the 36s. I only did this because 1) I have completed this program before. 2) I majorly extended phase one and "should" have attempted the "short course" but was a bit too chicken frankly. Well after a few workouts in the "slow and steady" I just tried the 5s and 6s with success. Holding to 2 minutes rest was tough but Geoff Neupert was right for sure, it becomes easier/ more tolerable if the heavy phase is extended. Another reason is that I became a little more "liberal" in my diet. It was tough to maintain the volume and stick to the diet I was doing. My appetite increased for sure. Back now in the 204 "area" but still able to fit in my shorts that I got in the early spring when I weighed about 8 pounds less but need looser shirts. Once again Geoff's programming worked well.

I am now three weeks in to the Strong program with the 40s (c+p) and "enjoying" it. I have attempted to do it in the past but I have always "derailed" in late phase one, beginning phase 2. Right now my goal is to complete phase 1 and stay as lean as possible while doing so and then re-evaluate upon completion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom