all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB Strongfirst BJJ question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Vlad B

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everyone,
I have purchased the Kettlebell StrongFirst course from BJJ Fanatics and I'm wondering how the rest periods would change if I want to go for sets of 10 Swings instead of 5.
In the plan sets of 5s are chosen to minimise hypertrophy but I would like to build some muscle.
How long should the rest period be for sets of 10 Swings?

Cheers,
Vlad

@Vlad B, I cannot answer your question, but if you haven't already, I recommend you read "The Quick and the Dead" where Pavel talks about the difference between sets of 5 and sets of 10 - how he handles it there may shed some light for you on this.

-S-

Thanks for your reply @Steve Freides !
I did read Q&D actually I revisited some of the chapters before posting here. In Q&D 5s are every 30s, 10s are every minute, the rest between series is 3 minutes not sure if it applies here but on the other hand there will be some fatigue build up.
I'm thinking of doing 10s every 2 minutes as long as I pass the talk test, once I get to 10 series I'll start reducing the rest until I get to one minute then go up in weight. (This is what I can understand as an aglorithm from the plan and Q&D)

Hi everyone,
I have purchased the Kettlebell StrongFirst course from BJJ Fanatics and I'm wondering how the rest periods would change if I want to go for sets of 10 Swings instead of 5.
In the plan sets of 5s are chosen to minimise hypertrophy but I would like to build some muscle.
How long should the rest period be for sets of 10 Swings?

Cheers,
Vlad
You could easily do sets of 10 every minute on the minute. Stop if you can no longer pass the talk test, and work your way up over time.

Same guidelines as S&S, Q&D, and some of the A+A programs.

You could easily do sets of 10 every minute on the minute. Stop if you can no longer pass the talk test, and work your way up over time.

Same guidelines as S&S, Q&D, and some of the A+A programs.
This.
It is mentioned that the extra acid build up in the sets of ten will stimulate more muscle growth. In my experience, sets of ten definitely make me hungrier and I put on muscle.
Sets of 5 do not have that effect, the downside is the extra time it takes to get the reps in.

Hi Vlad,

KB strong is to gain strength without jumping in weight.

If you change the swing protocol in to sth that is very close to S&S swing, why not just follow S&S? It is a simpler program to follow.

Hi Vlad,

If you change the swing protocol in to sth that is very close to S&S swing, why not just follow S&S? It is a simpler program to follow.
The TGU protocol of S&S, is more oriented to hypertrophy than KB strong’s in my opinion, so you might need/want to tweak it as well. Here you have S&S instead of KB strong.

Hi Vlad,

This thread is not about KB STRONG! from Geoff, this thread is a different program found on BJJ Fanatics.

This?

This?

Yep.

You just missed the Father's Day discount where it was around 45% off, but they run those deals probably 6-10 times a year.

Is this the same but without video?

Seems like, there is a independence sale going on so this price should be before discount.

It is a great program, and videos are priceless. I have this program and also purchased SF KB fundamental’s course.

I believe the BJJ program and the content is cleverly geared towards BJJ practitioners and SF KB content is cleverly tuned for general population beginning KB. Although both are great and indeed have similarities, I would recommend you SF KB fundamentals online course, since I know you are not a BJJ practitioner .

Seems like, there is a independence sale going on so this price should be before discount.

It is a great program, and videos are priceless. I have this program and also purchased SF KB fundamental’s course.

I believe the BJJ program and the content is cleverly geared towards BJJ practitioners and SF KB content is cleverly tuned for general population beginning KB. Although both are great and indeed have similarities, I would recommend you SF KB fundamentals online course, since I know you are not a BJJ practitioner .
It seems like the discount is only for videos.

I don’t regret my BJJ KB strongfirst purchase, but as someone who learn’s S&S program I refer to SF KB fundamentals content more than the BJJ KB Strongfirst .

It seems like the discount is only for videos.
I bought the videos and the material together. Honestly, without Videos, you will only access to the program, yes it is a great program but if you are not already good at Swings and TGU’s, and if you will follow an other program (S&S) you will not get much for the time being. Either go w SF KB fundementals or BJJ KB SF with videos.

I bought the videos and the material together. Honestly, without Videos, you will only access to the program, yes it is a great program but if you are not already good at Swings and TGU’s, and if you will follow an other program (S&S) you will not get much for the time being. Either go w SF KB fundementals or BJJ KB SF with videos.
Im not the one that start this thread. I domt wanna do S&S.

Yes, I believe it is as that is the sister site to BJJ Fanatics. If the discount doesn't work on the e-book only, I would DEFINITELY get the version with videos. The book is fairly simple and goes over the plans, but the real meat of the program is the videos and without that you will be missing a LOT and I personally don't think it would be worth it without the videos. It's not a book like S&S or Q&D, it's more an outline of the training plans not the full program that includes breathing techniques, stretches, etc.

Yes, I believe it is as that is the sister site to BJJ Fanatics. If the discount doesn't work on the e-book only, I would DEFINITELY get the version with videos. The book is fairly simple and goes over the plans, but the real meat of the program is the videos and without that you will be missing a LOT and I personally don't think it would be worth it without the videos. It's not a book like S&S or Q&D, it's more an outline of the training plans not the full program that includes breathing techniques, stretches, etc.
I may buy the full version but I have alot of Geoffs video material.
So i dont know if they cover the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom