all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB Swings and Feed Forward Tension (lesson from Lamar Grant)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
Hi everybody,

yesterday I stumpled upon some nice vids of Lamar Grant (because an intervew with him was linked here on the forum). There are a lot of interesting points about hihs DL style, but I was particularly interested in his initial descent.

So today I paid hommage to him during my S&S session and focused on getting tight while slowly descending to the hike position during my swing setup. Wow! I need to exeriment some more with it, but today my swings were really powerful from the very first rep, and continued to be crisp and strong. Of course I did not pretend that I would be going to break a DL World Record, but you get the idea.

Before I had paid little attention to the setup for my swings. At least not to getting tight. I had focused on my stance and my breath, and usually also on folding at the hips. But little did I know about the power of feed forward tension for ballistics.

It rememinded me that @Brett Jones advocates getting tight before even getting down. However, I find that I prefer the Lamar Grant style, ramping up tension while getting down (and not already at the top).

Applying tension at the setup, aka "loading" is an interesting topic.
There's different techniques and approaches, the principle works very well.
What matters more to me, is a tension degree and time spent before the actual exercise, because strong isometric effort consumes energy. While it's less sensitive for the 1 rep lifts, I'd think twice before strongly ramping up for 3-5 seconds before the set of 10 reps swings, for example.
I personally like to spend no more than 2 seconds for applying tension before the ballistic exercise.

What matters more to me, is a tension degree and time spent before the actual exercise, because strong isometric effort consumes energy.
That is actually the reason why I didn't bother hitherto. But today I was surprised to find that it actually helped. But, I think, only because of ramping up the tension slowly, spending only little time with "hard pre-tension".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom