all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KBs and Hypertension

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ThorsFavoriteGoat

Level 6 Valued Member
Experts - talk to me about this.

I have been on meds for my blood pressure since March. It was totally cool and under control, but after a very stressful few weeks at work, I am feeling symptomatic again - headache, pressure in ears, chest and forearms.

I am also on my third week of STRONG! which is all about double grinds. I don't think the grinds are to blame, but could they be exacerbating the issue?

Are people with high blood pressure better off training single arm movements?

@Baker, you need a doctor who is familiar with athletes. If your doctor is, and if he/she still says don't train, then you have a serious enough medical issue that you shouldn't train, IMHO.

-S-

Every year the Starting Strength Coaches Association presents a summary of the best published exercise science literature from the previous year. The last one available is the '14 summary of '13 literature, which I'll link below. Unfortunately, as you'll see as of that time the amount of literature on this exact subject - resistance training and hypertension - has been scant. This probably explains your doctor's inability to recommend it.

If the link doesn't jump straight to the correct section, it's page 16: http://startingstrength.com/articles/2013_strength_science_sullivan.pdf

"Experts- talk to me about this"

Your expert is your doctor! Your doctor knows, or has a belief, about what's causing your hypertension, and what other complications there may be (like kidney problems), and what meds, if any, you're taking for hypertension or other issues. If you don't know what your doc is thinking, just ask. Do you have a home monitor to track it?

I don't think there will ever be a study about heavy weightlifting and hypertension...having tried it when I had some prehypertension a few yrs ago. Squats and deadlifts rocket the numbers up quickly! BP not so much, but still kept it high for me for a day or two. Can't see any lab taking that risk, but who knows? Moderate low aerobic work lowered it quickly for me, though.

Anyone for a good blood pressure monitor thread? haha

I am not a expert.

Seems to me if you are feeling the symptoms again, you should back off of anything that adds stress (like weight training) & see the doc. Perhaps the work stress will relent and you will feel good enough to resume your training (with the doc's approval).

I have felt that ear-pressure - for about a month prior to the doc suggested meds. My blood pressure wasn't extremely high - about 148/95. I tried the meds, but they didn't seem to help much so I stopped taking them. I was extremely overweight, barely exercising, and had high stress in just about every aspect of my life. That was about three years ago. Today my blood pressure was 124/81.

@Baker, get with a doctor that understands how vested you are with your health. You might consider seeking out a D.O., in general. Another option would be a D.O. or M.D. that specializes in Functional Medicine.

The location you have listed is Portland. As a result, you may find this link helpful, The Best 10 Osteopathic Physicians in Portland, OR

The Cleveland Clinic, known for cardiac care, has taken an interest in Functional Medicine. So, you may find this link helpfu, Center for Functional Medicine

Fortunately, for you, a Google search returns three results for Functional Medicine doctors in Portland. Here is the link to that search, functional medicine doctor portland oregon - Google Search

Those links may provide solutions and they may not. However, they will certainly get you closer sorting out a healthcare provider that meets you where you are at as well as your needs.

Edited so that the sentences flowed better with how the links presented, after posting.

Live well!

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the advice. I saw my doctor yesterday, and am cleared to train. All of my blood work, vitals, weight are all greatly improved over my last appointment in March when I was living a power-lifting, EAT BIG-LIFT BIG lifestyle. My remaining issues with BP are primarily genetic and career-related.

Thanks Simple and Sinister!

If I may rephrase my original question, do single arm, hard-style movements create significantly less increases in blood pressure?

Baker, Good work getting it down & making progress on it! Do you have a blood pressure monitor? I got an Omron 712C when I had the issue, not expensive, and it's very easy to monitor yourself. If you've lifted weights, you may need to get an XL arm cuff. If you get your own monitor and some guidelines from your doc, you'd be good to go. I used to keep a diary and then go over it with the doc occasionally. Regular self-monitoring also helps you get a handle on other factors, like diet and stress. fwiw, S&S done by the book, and usually using a HRM and methods discussed here, has been good for me.

I have access to a blood pressure cuff. How long after a kettlebell practice should I take a reading?

I have access to a blood pressure cuff. How long after a kettlebell practice should I take a reading?
There is no need to try to figure out your blood pressure around the time of your exercise unless you are specifically instructed to do so by your doctor.

-S-

Boosh - post exercise BPs are usually taken after you have cooled down and recover from your exercise session. Typically lower than the pre exercise readings. Ask your Dr./Nurse for guidelines

Baker - developing high tension is a skill that needs practice and with HBP the recommendations are different.
Do you have an SFG or coach in your area that can work with you?

Thanks for your replies. I don't have any blood pressure issues. It might be interesting to see any changes over time. Long term I will check my BP once a month. Maybe the simplest thing is to measure it every 15 minutes after I finish until it is close to the start numbers.

@Baker

I'll assume that you have never taken time to develop your aerobic system. Strength may be your first love, but you cannot lift much from 6ft under. You're a perfect candidate to add in some LSD work.

Al, your assumption's correct as to the time I had the prehypertension- I had been a very active runner, cyclist, etc. for years, and generally ran very good times (sub-40 10K). However, due to inactivity then illness, lost pretty much all my aerobic capacity and gained weight. For some reason, I could only do anaerobic exercise, as cardio made me feel sick. I got into power lifting, and got very strong, then kind of generally collapsed after a couple years of westside (drug-free). Long road back...I had been doing cycling with some random kettlebells for a few years, then, since the beginning of this year, have been doing S&S during the week with a long ride most weekends, and feeling good and making a lot of progress overall. Message to everyone: keep your health, it's much easier to maintain it than regain it!

Matts,
Too true
work on your aerobic work with 180 - your age and under heart rate
there is a chance you tried to come back to your aerobic work at too high of a heart rate etc...
Walking can work wonders here if there are no orthopedic issues irritate by that

Boosh - for someone without HBP I don't think you will gain any useful information by doing that
Tracking your BP over time is a better strategy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom