all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Keeping a loose grip on cleans

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Babyubop123

Level 2 Valued Member
On my cleans, the bells are smashing my wrist. I have done research and came across keeping a loose grip during cleans. Does this mean that my hands have be in an open grip on the kettlebells as I do cleans, snatches, high pulls etc. or should I still have a closed hand grip but loose?

Think rotation. You’re probably flipping them a bit. Send a video. There are plenty of people here that can provide helpful suggestions. In the meantime, purchase some sweatbands. They will help provide some protection. Good Luck??

A loose grip is definitely important for a clean. As @Fyreman said, you're probably flipping the kettlebell over your hand but it should really rotate around your forearm. It's a little hard to describe so please upload a video.

I suspect it is a technique issue and you are not taming the arc of the bell correctly. Watch this video for a way to learn and the correct path the bell should take :

Place a video here and I'm sure you will get many ideas for improvement :)

On my cleans, the bells are smashing my wrist. I have done research and came across keeping a loose grip during cleans. Does this mean that my hands have be in an open grip on the kettlebells as I do cleans, snatches, high pulls etc. or should I still have a closed hand grip but loose?

1. Part of the learning curve of the clean is dialing in the amount of hip drive necessary to propel the bells to the rack position. Too much power can mean they'll get too high and smash your wrist; too little power and either the movement fails or you end up curling the bell(s) into position. One of the easiest ways to self-correct something like this is to try different weights until you find one that's just right for the amount of hip drive you seem to want to apply.

2. Make sure you keep the bell close to you. Your elbow should move back a little in the middle of the movement; if it doesn't, then the bell will be too far in front of you and will end up smashing your wrist, just in a different way than if you have the wrong amount of hip drive.

A video is always a good idea. Please show the clean with a single bell and, if you're also cleaning doubles, a second video showing that.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom