all posts post new thread

Keeping Myself Accountable

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dhm4626

First Post
10 months

Roughly 300 Days

That is my time-frame to complete a full 10 mile Tough Mudder. Pittsburgh, September. This is my way of keeping myself accountable. Call this thread a blog, online diary, whatever you want to call it. I figure one of the best ways to keep myself accountable is publicly report in my training progress. I'm currently (as of November 1) 5'9" 218lbs. This is not so much a weight loss goal, this is a get in shape goal. What better thing to work towards than a 10 mile Tough Mudder.

I started a T-Minus 30 workout program on 11-23, and so far... yeah I'm out of shape. Finished 18 minutes of a 34 minute workout Tuesday, and 15 of a 30 minute Wednesday. Thursday was a rest day.

I may also be throwing in personal feelings of past experiences that affect me still in these posts. Feel free to comment if you like. Even if no one reads these, as I said, this is a way for me to hold myself accountable for my training progress.

I'd recommend working on your grip (OCRs got a lot of grip activities, hanging, pulling, etc) and work lot of aerobic conditioning, walk a lot, run in zone 2, swim, and build up time under work.

People tend to train hard for OCR in the gym but the true part is that gym work ain't going to help you much, when you are able to cross all the obstacles (which is not impossible unless its a crazy American Ninja Warrior stuff) the rest is just running so you spend the most of your time stressing your lungs / heart. Focus on that part, this is my honest advice :)

edit. don't rest!! do Active resting!!! keep walking!!

I'd recommend working on your grip (OCRs got a lot of grip activities, hanging, pulling, etc) and work lot of aerobic conditioning, walk a lot, run in zone 2, swim, and build up time under work.

People tend to train hard for OCR in the gym but the true part is that gym work ain't going to help you much, when you are able to cross all the obstacles (which is not impossible unless its a crazy American Ninja Warrior stuff) the rest is just running so you spend the most of your time stressing your lungs / heart. Focus on that part, this is my honest advice :)

edit. don't rest!! do Active resting!!! keep walking!!
Yes, monkey bars when you're cold, tired and wet are a whole lot harder...

2nd Entry

So far my workouts have averaged about 15 minutes per workout. I know it isn't much, but I know I am also starting kinda from scratch here, and I have 10 months.

I am logging my workouts personally as far as length and weights (if I am using dumbbells that day).

Me and my wife did do the 5k version in October, but barely trained for it except for some running about a month prior. We did complete the 5k, but I did fail on a couple obstacles, and since I can't swim I am going to have to really pay attention to any that have deep water. Grip strength and upper body strength is what I think I need the most work on early in this.

My wife has also decided to do the full 10 mile with me which should be good for us to motivate each other. I know that we both can do this, but my wife has a tendency to really get down on herself, as she has not done as much athletic stuff in her life as I did (she did one year or cross country, I played basketball up through junior high, plus I deliver furniture for a living). She is one of the strongest people i know, and I know she can do this, but sometimes she doesn't believe that herself.
On days I am not on the road and in the office, I think every hour or so I may do some crunches or squats or something just to keep myself moving. I have also cut out all soda (drinking almost 2 MDs a day) to help.

I appreciate all the feedback and encouragement. This is gonna help keep me accountable. Thank you guys.

What do you guys think about me doing a 5k Rugged Maniac run in May? Pro... I get a good gauge of my fitness. Con... i risk potentially hurting myself and setting my training back.

So far my workouts have averaged about 15 minutes per workout. I know it isn't much, but I know I am also starting kinda from scratch here, and I have 10 months.
Don't procrastinate, 10 months are nothing and will pass by in a blink of an eye!

I just googled that T-Minus program and saw that is a McIntyre program (a well known athlete in OCR races) which I consider a "No pain no gain" kind of guy (maybe I'm wrong but I believe he is pretty hardcore), how does a workout look like??

Maybe considering your physical workload delivering furniture it ain't the best option for you if these workouts are pretty taxing and leave you sore / tire the next day.

What do you guys think about me doing a 5k Rugged Maniac run in May? Pro... I get a good gauge of my fitness. Con... i risk potentially hurting myself and setting my training back.
I assume you are doing non competitive version of either OCR so why not? You shouldn't be hurting yourself if you are not pushing hard and just doing it to check your 5 months progress, if they were competitive race you should be peaking your performance twice in a year but thats another story.

I just googled that T-Minus program and saw that is a McIntyre program (a well known athlete in OCR races) which I consider a "No pain no gain" kind of guy (maybe I'm wrong but I believe he is pretty hardcore), how does a workout look like??

Maybe considering your physical workload delivering furniture it ain't the best option for you if these workouts are pretty taxing and leave you sore / tire the next day.
The T-Minus program is no joke. Kinda reminds me of a P90x style "no pain no gain", but Hunter is very informative on what exercises is hitting what muscle groups and even what obstacles the exercise is good for.

As far as soreness I did have some at the beginning, but I think the lifting I do at my job now kinda helps since I am not totally out of shape and at least do something active. I am still only getting through half of the workouts each day, but my plan is to work up to the full 30 day full workout videos by September. I figure if I can get to that point I'll be ok.

We are not doing the competitive heat, so we'll probably do the May Rugged Maniac to gauge where we are at. Plus we have some unfinished business. We were supposed to do that one in 2020 for our first OCR to get our feet wet, but Covid put a stop to that. Also its an excuse for a road trip (closest one to us is in Columbus, 3 hour drive).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom