all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Keeping track / information overload

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tobias K.

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi all,
I have a general question that's not restricted to sport and training specifically.

In these times there is a lot of useful and valuable information accessible. For example at Strong First: there are (online) courses and special events (with manuals), articles, podcasts and forum threads. This broad spectrum of available information and media runs through other topics of interest, too.
From my experience at my workplace information management and in this regard also self-organization becomes more and more important.

What are your strategies and tactics in managing all the information? Do you use any tools/software/apps or do you take (handwritten) notes?
How are you organize the information? Do you use bookmarks, to-do lists, clouds, etc.?

What usually happens to me is that a pile of unread books and printed articles grows on my living room table, and unread e-mails (marked as "to read" / "important") start clogging up my inbox - all this completed by all kinds and forms of sticky and memo notes ... in the end, I feel I get nothing done. I'm aware that you cant keep track of everything and there has to be prioritization but I feel it can be done much better and more efficiently with a comprehensive system/approach.

Thank you in advance for your input.

@Tobias K., I read every email that comes to me. Some I leave to go back to later, but most I either reply to or delete.

Periodically, I go through Inbox and Sent and get rid of lots of things I no longer want or need. I probably do this once every few months (and I have six, I think, different emails - personal, kbnj.com (my web site), strongfirst, one I use for scheduling my music lessons, and one for my Buteyko breathing teaching. And I have an iCloud one I hardly use.

Periodically, I look at what's on my bookshelf and sell, give away, or throw away books I'm confident I'll never want to read or look at again.

I track my training in a blog, free-form except for my own notating conventions. I don't go back and look at past entries often but when I do, I appreciate having the information.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom