all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Keeping your elbows healthy for C&P

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ryan, I have suffered from both, the fix for me was hanging several times a day in a relaxed pullup, along with rolling a ball above and below the elbow, as well as around the shoulder. The hanging helped with shoulder mobility. With the rolling I got deep into the bicep and forearm muscles. For the shoulder I rolled the front and rear laying on top of the ball.

[Edit: After stumbling across this treatment (I forget where) I've recommended it several times on this forum, but have never gotten any feedback on anyone else trying it or whether they got positive results, so I'm interested to see if it works for anyone else.]
Thanks for the input! I saw your post 3-4+ months ago and played around with it a little. I found some "knots" close to where my the front of my pec and shoulder meet. I was also trying self massage and some pin and stretch techniques directly on the elbows and forearms themselves. It was too much to maintain for a therapy program. I think I even looked for the book you recommended. This plus things like foam rolling, lacrosse balls and softballs (I've found these are great for the hamstrings) are all part of a rehabilitative and preventative plan. I'm about 3 weeks, I'm going to start C&Ps again so I'm hoping to get ahead of things. I will look to incorporate what you suggest.

It's so challenging for me to keep up with all the stretching and rolling (old hip impingement flares up occasionally) in addition to the workouts. I worked on the rolling and stretching before bed usually. But, as I age, it is probably critical to not mess around and put the time in. As you can see in another post where my knees got really irritated after a walk, @Adam Mundorf reminded me that the "soft" work is just as important as the "hard".

@Smile-n-Nod

Interesting. Was the area of your pec similar to the area on this video, also about golfer's elbow?

2:57 onwards, if I did the link wrong.

I think acupressure can be a little "woo' and New-Age-y, so I'm interested when I hear examples of it working.
However, from personal experience, I can say that as a martial artist, the man in the video, Mark Wiley, is strictly the real deal and is pleasantly terrifying.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom