all posts post new thread

Nutrition Keto

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Level 2 Valued Member
My wife is planning to start a keto diet for weight loss soon. I guess I’m going to be doing it too, to help support her. I’m not really hoping to lose weight.
After doing a quick google, it seems like keto can be good for endurance training, but kills strength training, although not every one agrees. I mostly train for strength.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with keto and not interfering with training. I more interested in people’s on this site’s experience than random websites I’m not familiar with.
Thanks

My wife is planning to start a keto diet for weight loss soon. I guess I’m going to be doing it too, to help support her. I’m not really hoping to lose weight.
After doing a quick google, it seems like keto can be good for endurance training, but kills strength training, although not every one agrees. I mostly train for strength.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with keto and not interfering with training. I more interested in people’s on this site’s experience than random websites I’m not familiar with.
Thanks
I got stronger doing simple and sinister on keto/carnivore for a few months. Then started ROP and did well too. But then I felt like I tapered off ( could have been due to poor sleep though) so I added some carbs back in. Still low carb as hell tho, like 50-80g a day maybe and that helped. I wouldn’t over think it too much. You’ll be fine. If you notice your strength dipping down a little (give it 2-3 weeks before giving up) first I would add more fat (for fuel/energy) then if that doesn’t help throw in some berries or sweet potatoes and you’ll probably be fine.
I feel like the turning point was when my training became more “stressful” and glycolitic. If you’re doing heavy lifts and not like met-con stuff I bet you’ll do fine. To quote Pavel... “eat a cow”.
I’d also advise to not get hung up on keto desserts or keto versions of junk food. Eat real stuff. You’ll just FEEL better. Keto cookies and crap will keep you in ketosis I guess but overall for performance they just made me feel nasty. Hope that helps!

I've been in ketosis on too many occasions to count (including currently) and I've not noticed any enduring impact on my training (primarily barbell work with a higher rep hypertrophy emphasis) nor can I tell from my training log whether I have been in ketosis or not. I've heard it suggested it makes a difference at elite level. If you're not competing I wouldn't worry about it but also search this forum for posts by @kennycro@aol.com He has a particular interest in this area

After doing a quick google, it seems like keto can be good for endurance training, but kills strength training, although not every one agrees. I mostly train for strength. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with keto and not interfering with training. I more interested in people’s on this site’s experience than random websites I’m not familiar with.
Strength Training

As Don noted, it is a misconception that it kills Maximum Strength.

Let me also state that you can increase muscle mass on Keto.

My Personal Experience

I have been on Keto since July 2016, due to a metabolic condition.

I am an old Powerlifter. Initially, my Strength Training suffered until I...

1) Became Keto Adapted

2) Changed my Training Protocol

Ketogenic Energy System Training

There are three Energy Systems...

1) Phosphagen, ATP System

This system relies on ATP; not glucose or ketones,

Strength and Power Training that is around 15 seconds per set and less than 30 second utilizes ATP.

This mean that the Keto or Standard American "High Carbohydrate" Diet work in the Phosphagen System, equally.

2) Glycolytic Energy System

This system relies on gluose.

Training that is around 30 seconds to 2 minutes is dependent on glucose.

The Keto Diet Athlete does not appear to do well training in this zone. With that said, there is some research that indicate they may.

High Carbohydrate Athletes appear to respond better in this system.

3) Oxidative Energy System

As you mentioned, Endurance Keto Adapted athletes usually preform well.

Losing Weight

I initially over reacted to my metabolic diagnosis. I dropped 17 lbs in 35 days combining Keto and Intermittent Fasting.

It was from being in a calorie deficit.

Regaining My 17 lbs

I did not like being 17 lbs lighter.

I then regained my 17 lbs on Keto; primarily increasing my fat calorie intake.

My weight gain was about being in a calorie surplus.

Bodybuilding Keto Training

It fall into the Glycolytic Energy System with higher repetitions.

Gaming The Bodybuilding Training System

Cluster Hypertrophy Sets allow you to increase muscle mass, by training in the Phosphagen System,

This based on Dr Jonathan Oliver's research on how Athletes could increase muscle mass without a decrease in Maximum Strength and Power.

Cluster Hypertrophy Set Training is also effective for Ketogenic Diet Strength Training.

I have utilize this method for 3 years. It works.

The Reason for Keto Strength Training Misinformation

Most studies are short term based. That means the athletes are tested before they are completely Keto Adapted.

Secondly, a slightly different approach needs to be applied for Keto Training.

Two Good Strength Training Articles

1) Complete Guide to Exercise on the Ketogenic Diet | Ruled Me

2) Complete Guide to Exercise on the Ketogenic Diet | Ruled Me

Last edited:
@kennycro@@aol.com Thanks for the info!

I assume the 17 lbs that you lost and then regain was initially mostly fat loss into more muscle gain when you put it back on? ie body recomposition.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom