all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

The Nail

Level 7 Valued Member
I'm going to try some KetoCaNa...first heard about it on the T. Ferris podcast, now hearing it from this guy. Interesting article. Excerpt below.

Ketone Supplements Extend Lifespan - Rogue Health and Fitness

...In modern times, scientists discovered that restricting rats’ food by 10% or more made them live longer, contrary to expectations. Since calorie restriction (CR) is one of the very few interventions that extends lifespan, we’d like to know how it works. If we could discover that, we could intervene in other ways, for example with CR mimetics such as resveratrol.

Many theories have sought to explain CR, e.g. it results in less fat mass, less oxidative stress, less inflammation, beneficial changes in the gut microbiome, less insulin, less growth hormone and IGF-1, lower metabolic rate, less iron accumulation,and others. But what may have escaped notice is that CR reliably produces ketones in virtually every species.

The production of ketone bodies could account for the life-extension effects of calorie restriction, at least in part.

Maybe just as important, exogenous ketones could extend human lifespan....​

I got some KetoCaNa too, after hearing about it from Tim Ferris. Tried it a couple of times before bike rides. Haven't noticed a thing. And, it's expensive!

I got some KetoCaNa too, after hearing about it from Tim Ferris. Tried it a couple of times before bike rides. Haven't noticed a thing.
Hmm. Have you tried it before kettlebell training? And how low were your carbs when you tried it?

Haven't tried it before kettlebell training, no. Just before bike rides. Carbs not super low at the time, but right now on Atkins diet I am very low on carbs, so I'll try it again and report back. What's your impression on the expected effect?

I turn 33 next month; overall my goal is to get my waist below 32" while keeping my training fun and productive.

I train in a fasted state, approx 12 hours after dinner. Taking a dose of BCAAs pre-training gives me a boost in focus and strength. They do this so well I've been able to train for the past 1.5-2 weeks without caffeine in the morning. Tea in the early morning upsets my stomach, so they make training all the more enjoyable, productive, and time efficient.

I'm looking for a few things from the ketone supps.
1. Make my training great while keeping my body in the fasting state (BCAA's disrupt autophagy).
2. Ease the journey into leaning out
3. Potentially ease the transition into a no carb nutrition plan.

I've kept my carbs around 20% for the last 3 weeks. The lower I go with carbs the better I feel, the better I perform, the leaner I get, the better I problem solve. I want to play with taking it to the extreme and go zero carbs/all meat nutrition and see how that works.

All this might not work and I end up going back to just BCAAs, 20% carbs, and an old fashioned calorie deficit. But it's good fun to play around and see what my body is capable of.

Have you tried it before kettlebell training? And how low were your carbs when you tried it?

Tried this morning. Carbs have been low, but not low enough to call it ketogenic. (currently following Atkins 40). I'd say my energy was pretty good, maybe a little better than usual, but nothing amazing or really remarkable. Same with strength. Fairly typical training session; after warm-up:

5 x 5 Cleans double 20kgs
5 x 5 Front Squats double 20kgs
10 x 5 half-snatch double 12kgs
Farmer's carries 4 x 90 sec double 20kgs

Sometimes on Mondays I have a hard time getting started because I always do a long bike ride on Sunday, but today I didn't seem to have any of that stiffness or sluggishness today. I felt ready to get started when I got to the gym.

I did as recommended, 1 scoop prior to exercise (it says 15 min, but I did about 30 min prior).

1 scoop is 55 calories.... with 0g of fat, carbohydrate, or protein... weird.

The label says, "Consumption of KetoCaNa before exercise can result in significant decreases in oxygen demand and increases in performance.' (of course, also on the label, "these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA...") But I did notice that the front squats, although fairly heavy weight and enough to get my HR up about 50bpm (the big spikes below), didn't make me gasp for air after the set as they usually do. Maybe related.... maybe not. I have been doing more squats lately.

HR for the training session:

upload_2017-4-17_8-56-11.png

1 scoop is 55 calories.... with 0g of fat, carbohydrate, or protein... weird.
In his T. Ferris interview, doesn't Dominic D'Agostino mention that we should think of ketones as another type of macro-nutrient?
If you didn't have as much trouble as normal getting into gear, perhaps that was the supplement. Seems like a rather small return on investment though.

I tried a scoop of KetoCaNa (such a fun word to type) before my walk yesterday. Other than the amazing taste, I can't say I noticed anything as far as energy. Then again, it was just a leisurely walk in the sun. And wow, so expensive for such a tiny bottle! Mostly just wanted to see how my stomach reacted to it. I'm curious as to how it might help a long term energy event, such as a powerlifting meet.

Today, I used one teaspoon of MCT oil with my green tea before training. No BCAAs. Results were promising. Didn't make my stomach gurgle like BCAAs, had no trouble getting into gear. Like your results with KetoCaNa, I noticed that my breathing was much easier. This was after two days off and a deload week, so will need to try it long term to see if it's the supplement or just being refreshed after a deload week.

Good results on day 2 of MCT oil. Solid energy during training, no energy level crash after training, didn't feel the need to get food RIGHT AWAY, more energy during the day, easier on an empty stomach...
Again, just a single teaspoon with green tea before training.

Today''s training was a good moderate day too: 10x10 OHS w/32k, 5x1 TGU 24k.

MCT oil is looking like it might beat out the BCAA's.

I've heard that ketone supplements are good at helping you get into ketosis quickly if you are just starting to reduce carbs. Once in ketosis you can check your blood ketone levels with a tester and you may find you only need to supplement ketones when you don't eat enough fat or if you temporarily start eating more carbs. That may help your wallet ;)

Interesting. Well, since I bougha can of KetoCaNa, I might as well use it. Used it yesterday morning before a 3.6 mile Stand-Up Paddle. Other than that was fasted. Seemed to help and energy was good. Used it this morning before kettlebell and barbell training. Again, energy and strength was good, but I can't tell what it would have been without it.

It does taste good, so at least is a very expensive kool-aid...

Stumbled across this, not sure of the science but is interesting reading about exogenous ketones.

So, I think it would be logical that exogenous ketones would be first in line (before or just after alcohol) to be burned off because the body has no way of storing the exogenous ketones other than circulating in the blood stream.

So, it seems that exogenous ketones neither lower insulin nor promote fat burning. They’re just another fuel that will be burned before the fat on your bum and your belly.

are ketones insulinogenic and does it matter?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom