all posts post new thread

KingBeans

Level 3 Valued Member
This is something I've been experimenting with after doing a number of programs that require more brain power than I have to spare (ladders, complexes etc). Here it is short and simple:

Workout A
Warmup (I do kettlebell pushups 3x10)
Double Clean & Press 5x5
Chin-Ups 5x5

Workout B
Warmup (I do goblet squats 3x10)
Double Front Squats 5x5
Kettlebell Swings 5x10

I stick with a weight until 5x5 is easy then add a rep. Once I get to 5x8 I increase the weight.
I'll increase the weight for swings when I get heavier bells (currently 32kg) cuz I personally hate double swings.
For Chin-Ups I match reps with the presses and might add weight or just shoot for 5x10, like with the swings.

Right now I'm at 5x6 Presses at 24kg and 5x6 Squats at 28kg.

MWF
ABA > BAB

Nice job! Might be worth looking at a program like Easy Muscle (schedule B)….

I like the idea. When I first started with kbs I tried to mimic bb and db style programming but found that working off %of repetition max and using ladders was the best imo. I tried buying 5 lb ankle weights and attaching them to micro load and move up as you would with a bb and it got silly. Maybe you’ll have a different experience!

Let us know how you progress.

Nice job! Might be worth looking at a program like Easy Muscle (schedule B)….

I like the idea. When I first started with kbs I tried to mimic bb and db style programming but found that working off %of repetition max and using ladders was the best imo. I tried buying 5 lb ankle weights and attaching them to micro load and move up as you would with a bb and it got silly. Maybe you’ll have a different experience!

Let us know how you progress.
Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely not going the ankle weights route. I wanted to keep this as simple as I could but still cover a lot of ground. I think the real goal is longevity and just being strong. At a very point the weight progression will stop, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll look up Easy Muscle B for sure!

Hello,

The ankle weight is an excellent choice. An alternative can be resistance bands. That way you'll have a progressive resistance during the way up, and an overspeed eccentric on the way down

Kind regards,

Pet'

This is something I've been experimenting with after doing a number of programs that require more brain power than I have to spare (ladders, complexes etc). Here it is short and simple:

Workout A
Warmup (I do kettlebell pushups 3x10)
Double Clean & Press 5x5
Chin-Ups 5x5

Workout B
Warmup (I do goblet squats 3x10)
Double Front Squats 5x5
Kettlebell Swings 5x10

I stick with a weight until 5x5 is easy then add a rep. Once I get to 5x8 I increase the weight.
I'll increase the weight for swings when I get heavier bells (currently 32kg) cuz I personally hate double swings.
For Chin-Ups I match reps with the presses and might add weight or just shoot for 5x10, like with the swings.

Right now I'm at 5x6 Presses at 24kg and 5x6 Squats at 28kg.

MWF
ABA > BAB
I think it looks real great.
If i dont remember wrong Mike Mahler had some programs back in the Dragondoor days thats alot like this.

5x5 is an excellent method and easy to manage without an excel spreadsheet.

Taking it to 5x8...(.that's 5 sets of 8 reps, right? For some peeps that can also mean 8 sets of 5)....is a nice addition. I've generally got to 5x5, consolidate for couple weeks, move to something else or start again with different leverage/more weight. The extra reps hammer home the consolidation.

Yup, keep calm and carry on. A fine choice. During the lockdowns 5x5 was my saviour.

This is perfect. Why complicate? I think you could do both 3x a week or throw in 5 TGU's at the end of each. I really LOVE this.
Do reverse lunges instead of double swings or stiff leg deadlifts.

I love ladders that I teach myself from Strong First news letter (Fabio’s Build Strong one, recently) but I love your program. If you can’t do the jump from 5x8 to 5x5 w heavier bell, you could either try ladders or fall back to lower reps than 5. You mention the goal of longevity so it makes sense to throw in some sort of Liss (Telling this to my self indeed ;)) could be just walking a few times a week.

Love the program. It will deliver more than most of the programs out there in the wild for most of the people. I will continue in the world of ladders when it comes to KB grinds but I guess it is mostly a personal preference.

Yes I like the basic idea.
Where are the Turkish Get Ups?
Or even a Bent Press?

Reactions: Ege
I think it looks real great.
If i dont remember wrong Mike Mahler had some programs back in the Dragondoor days thats alot like this.
He has provided a couple of options, such as reducing rest period, changing exercises or increasing the number of sets from 5x5 to 10x5.

Another option is to increase sets first, then maybe reduce sets and increase reps and then increase weight, i.e. triple progression

He has provided a couple of options, such as reducing rest period, changing exercises or increasing the number of sets from 5x5 to 10x5.

Another option is to increase sets first, then maybe reduce sets and increase reps and then increase weight, i.e. triple progression
I own some of Mike's videos and read all his stuff. Guy is legit and a good guy. Saw him strict press a pair of double 32's last week like it was a toy. He has a lot of great stuff on hormone optimization if that interests you.

I own some of Mike's videos and read all his stuff. Guy is legit and a good guy. Saw him strict press a pair of double 32's last week like it was a toy. He has a lot of great stuff on hormone optimization if that interests you.
I didnt know he still excist.
I liked his stuff because of the simple and Old School style. Not many recommending ordinary 5x5 for kb work fx.

Hah, I just did a workout like this today myself! I recently did the easy strength and wanted to check out how this setup compare. Got the idea after reading some of the works of Reg Park.

Warmup: OS and some monkey, rabbit and bear

C+P 5x5
DFSQ 5x5
5x5 pull-up
80 snatches
5x5 abroll

Let us know how it works for you.

I didnt know he still excist.
I liked his stuff because of the simple and Old School style. Not many recommending ordinary 5x5 for kb work fx.
He really focuses on the hormone stuff. There was a video last week of him doing 9 reps strict pressing the 32's, easy peasy.

He had this 16-week program I did 9 or 10 years ago with double 32 s for size and strength a couple of times.
5 x 5 loved it. Rep out last set of 5
EDT my favorite of all kettlebell workouts, old age keeps me from doing it, if I push the density, I get hurt, but man the results!
German Volume Training. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME and Boring
He also had the Russian Bear. Died of Boredom but it was good and worked, lots of reps.
HIIT. 3 x 5 rep out last set and barely leave 1 in the tank. The first 2 sets set up the anxiety for the last one. Kind of like the 5 day in Wendler's 5/3/1. I liked it.

5x5 for barbells is SO the way to go for most trainees. I almost have my 20 year old convinced to try it.

Monday
Bench Press supersetted with Bent Over Row 5 x 5
Standing Military Press supersetted with Pullups 5 x 5
Back Squat 5 x 5
Stiff Leg Dead lifts 5 x 5

Wednesday
Incline Press supersetted with One arm Rows 5x5
Double kettlebell or dumbbell press alternated with neutral grip pullups 5 x 5
Deadlift 5 x 5 supersetted with dips 5 x 5

Friday
Dumbbell bench press alternated with Seated Row 5 x 5
One arm kettlebell or dumbell press alternated with lat pulldowns 5 x 5
Leg press or Hack Squat 5 x 5
200 Swings 10 x 20 on the minute.

Last edited:
This is IMO one of the best threads about kb basics in Long time. Nothing wrong with ladders, strong endurance, A+A or anything.
But this thread is about “Strongfirst”.
Basic strength building.

There's a firefighter on Instagram that does a lot of workouts like these. He sells both a KB and a sandbag program. (No affiliation and haven't bought it). But I love watching his workouts. @ruggedfitnesslifestyle

Wow so much cool activity on this thread! Sorry I haven't checked back in a while, thanks for the info and feedback!

I've been following the basic ABA BAB kettlebell program every MWF morning and it's been great. I use my Wednesdays as "heavy" days doing 5x3 of the days main movement with a weight heavier than my 5x5.

I have a gym at work as well, so I've also been messing around with barbell stuff to compliment the mornings workout. Something heavier than I can do at home but light enough to be sustainable. Right now the current iteration looks like..

Week 1 & 3
M - Back Squat 5x5 @70%
W - Dumbbell Bench Press / Bent Over Rows 5x3 @80%
F - Deadlift 5x5 @70%

Week 2
M - Dumbbell Bench Press / Bent Over Rows 5x5 @70%
W - Back Squat 5x3 @80%
F - Dumbbell Bench Press / Bent Over Rows 5x5 @70%

Week 4
M - Dumbbell Bench Press / Bent Over Rows 5x5 @70%
W - Deadlift 5x3 @80%
F - Dumbbell Bench Press / Bent Over Rows 5x5 @70%

This four week format has helped me get out of the "do everything every week" mindset and more into a "big picture" mindset.

It's simple, the volume is challenging without burning me out and together with my morning workouts I get front squats, back squats, ballistics, grinds, horizontal and vertical push/pulls. Plus I get to play with Kettlebells and Barbells in a way that fits my personal schedule.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom