all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell as a fat burning for a complete newbie to fitness training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Zohaib Amanzai

First Post
Hi All,

I am a 26 year old male, I have ordered a 16kg kettle bell to start my fitness training for the first time in life ( I did work out earlier, 5 years ago, however that was only for 2 months which was on machines).

I got this dvd of Pavel - Enter the Kettlebell from one of my friends and my main goal and reason for starting is to condition and tone my body and lose all the fat in my abdomen and body, whilst gaining some muscle for a more proportionate body.

My height is 5'10 and I weigh 85 kgs with a waist of 35 inches. I have quiet broad shoulders

Can you please let me know:
1) If 16kg kettlebell is fine to begin with? (I made this order in enthusiasm of hitting it hard)

2) Is Enter the Kettlebell sufficient to start practicing on?

3) Any suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes is the answer to both of your questions.

As a suggestion, I'd like you to remember that the key to success is consistency, not occasional achievements or heroics. Keep at it day to day, week to week, and year to year, and you will see results.

You will soon need a heavier kettlebell, but it's good to start with 16 kg. I would get a 20, a 24, or both now if you can.

-S-

I agree with Steve, that you may soon need a new kettlebell. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in the first six months. Some find the need in the first months. It is highly individual. The correct weight for the next bell is also individual; I started with a 16kg, soon bought a 28kg which was a bit too much at the time, but I wouldn't by any means have needed a 20kg then, or now. So take your time in peace, no matter how long it takes, and then decide on your next kettlebell or several.

I would recommend a 24kg bell in two to three months if you train consistently.

Not that everyone could or should follow my example, but I remember feeling thrown about the room when I first tried to swing a 16 kg kettlebell, but within two weeks, I had ordered a 24.

-S-

If you've not trained before don't skip the remedial drills in Enter the Kettlebell - face the wall squats, hip flexor stretches are great. Make sure you learn the turkish get-up as well it makes everything feel tighter and hang together better.

@Zohaib Amanzai I was exactly where you are 3 years ago, even height, weight and waist size. I started with a 16kg and it seemed a very heavy weight for get-ups but I moved on to 24 quite quickly.

Key thing for me was: starting from where I was. I did swings and squats initially until I built some strength for the get-up. I still remember how my arm was just wobbling when I held the 16kg in the starting position of a get-up but I used to hold it there fore a few seconds each side until it became comfortable.

Body composition: Your diet has a very large part to play in this so tune that in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom